Why does nobody want to nerf Nurse?

Comments

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601

Nurse isn't as mobile as she used to be so she struggles with survivors who spread out on gens. The amount of large maps and maps that are quite unfavorable to her are also quite large. She has huge snowball potential and if you group up against her then you will pay the price, but he same can be said about plenty of killers. If you spread out and did gens and broke LoS while maintaining distance, you could Shift W even a good Nurse and beat her with gen efficiency.

The biggest issue is that most survivors are garbage at this game, and even moreso against a killer like Nurse. So you have all these bad players thinking every Nurse they play is "godlike" when the reality is it's their own lack of skill that causes them to perceive it as OP.

• SudoK7
    SudoK7 Member Posts: 68

Nurse kinda reminds me Tracer and widowmaker from Overwatch. They've strong characters but you have to be really good with them in order to get value out of them otherwise you're throwing.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

Buff her speed to 4.6 m/s, which would make her more accessible to new players. Where her kill rates are abysmal.

Nerf her blink to 1 blink with a massive cooldown which makes her much weaker in experience player hands. Where she has practically a guaranteed 4k.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,535

I think she is fine.

You don´t see her often in low-mid MMR.

There should be strong killers in the game - she is one of the few that can take on a high skill SWF, and that is ok.

And don´t argue - for most players she is too difficult to play.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

"M1 killer with poor map maneuverability (or will enter chases with no power) who can maybe get one fast hit in before engaging in a long chase" sounds like killing a character to me.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Yea sorry I misunderstood I have seen too many people say similar things meaning that. I have become very umm hardened lol

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

If people liked balanced stuff, they’d like Nurse. But people in this community have unrealistic nonsensical expectations like that they should get a 4-man escape/4K every game if they’re good. Newsflash, that means it’s bad matchmaking.

• Entinaty
    Entinaty Member Posts: 165

Honestly I think the Nurse is fine where she is and we should honestly hope that BHVR developers look to her as inspiration for designing more killers going forward. Not necessarily oppressive killers but those that break this tedium of killer ideas that they are currently mired in. For example, why don't we have killers that fly across the map or dig tunnels and capture their prey from underground? Why not killers that can use fog our strike from darkness? We need more killers that break convention and invite new ways to play this game instead of the same old boring tag/hide and seek simulator that has arguably been stale for the past couple of years. What this game needs is growth and experimentation, not bringing killers that actually have some uniqueness back into the same old mired drudgery that most of the others are currently in.

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

I wish that was an option for me but her blink gives me motion sickness. It's a shame because she looks cool with the WW2 mask, and I usually like a challenge.

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

I will try it. I am just working on M1 killers for now that I can play before I start leveling Wraith and Nurse. I noticed I have trouble with Wraith too.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714
    edited January 2022

Bhvr fixed nurse in the upcoming patch, she won't see any change anytime soon sadly, they had a chance to change her

• Synzicle
    Synzicle Member Posts: 31

She is the best killer in the game....but she's also one of the hardest to utilize properly. She's one of the few actually balanced, gameplay wise, killers in the game and all they did was bug fix a lot of her issues, this needs to be done for almost every killer in the roster. Just because the nurse player is good at predicting where you're running doesn't make the kill itself broken, it makes the player skilled with her even if they have the right addons to help track your aura to line up the shot during those small windows when they proc. It's not like DH or DS where you press a button and good things happen for example. Nurse also has, from my understanding, the lowest kill rates in the game because of her difficulty. Overall that sounds rather balanced to me.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    1. I don't think she needs a nerf.
    2. You can't really nerf her. Because nerfing her would literally kill her.
  • sadakiyo
    sadakiyo Member Posts: 281

she doesn't need any nerf. not to mention rpd or other indoor maps kill her.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I want Nurse nerfed. Reduce her movement speed a bit, just commit. We are halfway there.

• aliji95
    aliji95 Member Posts: 1

Nurse can't get nerfed. That's her problem. Any nerf to her Power would kill her.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Wow you're one of the only people on the forums who actually wants this lol. It's weird that it's a controversial opinion to want an objectively overpowered killer to be nerfed a bit.

• SuzuKR

You should learn what those words mean before you use them so blatantly foolishly. As has been repeatedly stated and repeatedly proven, Nurse against equally good players at high levels of play equals out to around 2 kills and 2 escapes on average. With or without restrictions. With, closer to 2-2.5, without, closer to 1.5-2, averages-wise. Sorry, facts don't care about your complaining.

• Shirtless_Myers
    Shirtless_Myers Member Posts: 370

The nurse is broken and will always remain as such. So long as she becomes able to teleport through walls, floors, pallets, and survivors themselves. The design doesn't work in a competitive format as she creates a game entirely her own.

As others have stated, she would require a complete redesign, and there would be a heavy amount of backlash from this as she's arguably in a tier of her own making.

• SuzuKR

Except... she's literally the most frequently played character in competitive DBD? And still averages out to around 2 kills and 2 escapes even when survivors are heavily restricted in multiple ways and play on a map that's generally better for her than them?

• gendoss
    edited January 2022

I mean that's probably true in heavily restricted tournaments. I'm talking in a normal game.

• SuzuKR

You mean the normal games that are very rarely even whatsoever because of a mix of any of the following of these things?

• MMR and thus matchmaking being useless, especially for anyone over the soft cap that has to be lowered back down so their queues don't take literally hours

• People bringing all sorts of builds (eg someone going hyper all out maxed meta versus people doing random meme builds/adepts/whatever non-meta/etc)

• No guarantee the survivors know how to play against the killer/no guarantee the killer knows how to play their killer

• Drastically gameplay altering maps all up to complete RNG unless altered by a map offering, which is pretty much only ever used to shift it to one extreme or the other

• People that may not care to actually try to their best while others may (eg, some people just want to get a challenge or achievement done and don't care how they do otherwise, people sandbagging others, taking game relaxed while others try, etc)

• gendoss
    edited January 2022

So you're making an argument that Nurse is balanced even in mid level play...? Who hurt you?

• SuzuKR

I mean, yeah. Cause she is? Unless you think a good player being able to 4K the average 4 survivors they will probably play against without much difficulty means a killer is broken. Which would make literally every single killer in this entire game overpowered then.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

But wouldn’t it be easier to nerf nurse and survivor to compensate instead of trying to buff 20+ killers to her level?

• SuzuKR
    edited January 2022

No, because nerfing Nurse and survivor to actually match would require so many changes to this game it would be literally unrecognizable from a current standpoint. Other killers can be helped by much more comparatively simple changes, like shrinking larger maps, weighting tile spawn logic better to prevent busted setups, etc.

Furthermore, Nurse is the best balanced killer in the game (minus stuff like three blinks), and survivor isn't too problematic balance-wise basekit (outside of specific perk interactions). Other killers that are way weaker are the ones with issues design-wise because they're too held back.

• gendoss

I think you're the only person actually arguing that Nurse is a balanced killer. Basically every other argument was that she has a low kill rate so she's not a problem or there would be too much backlash which makes sense. This is an absolutely horrible argument that nobody agrees with.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

You should look at Nurse like this:

In games, you grind and overcome some tough challenges to unlock some uniquely difficult mode to test your skills. In Dark Souls you push your skills to get the toughest NG+ cycle where one mistake will kill you over and over. Literally working your way to get the most difficult and satisfying challenge.

Nurse is the opposite. You grind the ######### out of her to unlock DBD's secret very easy mode. Because after really getting a good feel of the 'Nurse game', because she plays a different game than DBD, you essentially have nothing stopping you from breezing through 99.99% of the game. No obstacle can limit you. No enemy skill can truly hamper you. Anywhere, anytime, you can destroy the opposition.

Of course she isn't balanced, that's the whole point of Nurse. Enjoy your very easy mode those that bothered to grind out this secret DBD setting. Nerfing her would probably make her pretty poopy too. Which I wouldn't care about lmao.

• gendoss

So in a PvP game where 2 sides compete with each other there should exist an easy mode character where no obstacle can limit you?

Just because she's hard to play as doesn't mean she's fair in the slightest. No fighting game or any other competitive PvP game has characters designed like that because it's unfair.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

I never said there should be. It's a bad idea that they can't get rid of, and an easy solution for baby forum whiners that keep complaining the game is astronomically survivor-sided. Though then again they'd need to pour some effort into Nurse.

She isn't fair. It's crap design. And people who benefit from it will defend this dreadful thing to the very end. Let them, it's not like you're forced to play her, and you can just let yourself die if you don't want to face her.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

Woops oxymoron. It can't be easy mode if theres intensive skill involved with utilising her power correctly. Nurse consistently scores below 50% kill rate. If you nerf her any further then she will go from being playable by 5% of the community to 1% which at that stage you might as well delete the character. Nurse is actually the ideal example of good killer design.

She's not limited by large map sizes l, bad blinks cost you distance, her and blight allow killers to compete with actually skilled players without being universally usable by players like initial reworked Freddie.

She adds another layer to dbd gameplay by creating strats that involve doubling back or changing your route up to shake the killer. In an era of crow lady nemesis and killers who have zero punishment for power misuse she stands as a heavily power dependant killer that dramatically changes up how survivors play.

Controversial opinion but Nurse is the epitome of the killer and survivor gameplay I want more of in dbd. None of this hold w crap. If thy did rework Nurse I promise you it would likely make her easier to play, less powerful for upper tier play and overall play into the killer design of easy anti loop application with limited means of punishing misplays.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,854

Nurse doesn't need any more nerfs, she has been nerfed already. Oh and fixing long standing bugs is not a buff, for those implying this is a buff

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590

When survivor-mains want to further nerf a killer who has already been heavily nerfed (and suffered severe game-losing bugs for years that Nurse players had to play in spite of), and these survivors consider fixing those bugs as "buffs" (like they were reliant on Nurse being buggy to play against her), it really makes you wonder where the entitled survivor-main narrative comes from.

I'd suggest spending a few hundred hours playing Nurse first and witness first-hand how difficult she is to use, and how effective just simply holding 'w' is against her. Then you can tell us whether she needs a nerf because she's too easy... or whether you find yourself winning because you've developed the skill that survivors (generally) refuse to learn to counter.

I say generally, because I've gone against many survivors that know how to juke my nurse too easily - random pathing, breaking line of sight, and straight-up baiting. If you're getting your backside kicked by a nurse, it's because the killer is more skilled than you are, so you just need to up your game instead of calling for more shackles for killer.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Thank you. I have put probably 500 hours into Nurse alone and while I do win easily against the average brainless survivor, I still get juiced every so often by survivors that actually have skill and can run me for a long time. In fact it is because most survivors are not very good that I get caught out when I face good players who don't just think that all they need to do is double back to counter me.

If anyone is struggling against Nurse the best thing I can recommend is they learn to play her themselves. Then you will understand her counters and learn a lot from other good survivors who will show you how to make life tough for Nursey

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 531

i feel nurse is in a really bad spot where if you nerf her she becomes terrible and literally d tier but at the same time where she is, is not a good spot either and opens up a lot of problems for overall game balance for things like perks but i think shed need an actual rework to change her power lvl

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 531

i would cry if they made plaid flannel default it would be so annoying on my screen

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Someone else had a good suggestion - make Plaid Flannel part of base kit but allow Nurse to toggle it on or off using the Activate Ability button.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Thing is, it is a terrible addon and I would never recommend it to anyone, not even someone trying Nurse for their first time. You are better to just play her without it from the start and instantly be working on getting a feel for blink ranges and charge times.

Adding a terrible addon to her base kit is an awful idea no matter how it is implemented imo

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670

I hope they never nerf Nurse. She is fun to play and we need more killers like her to play, not because she’s op, but because she’s different, she’s challenging. I can say the same to Huntress and Spirit.

They have cool powers and high skill ceiling.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

You’re assuming that new players can’t also build up muscle memory using the targeting icon which isn’t true. Different people are going to have different preferences for learning and a lot of people would find the character easier to learn and understand with the icon included.

• MaTtRoSiTy

Well everyone learns differently but my opinion is this addon should not be used. I can only say that as someone with hundreds of hours in Nurse alone and as someone who pretty much only plays Nurse. I would never recommend this addon in any context.

• Vampwire
    Vampwire Member Posts: 709

The general consensus is that nurse takes skill to play so it justifies her power level. Unlike old spirit or old deathslinger whenever you went down to a nurse it was usually due to some prediction or effort by the player. That's really all that nurse is though. Just prediction. I don't think she's as hard to play as people make her out to be. I'm not a god nurse but after playing her for like 3 days on and off I got to where I could land blinks pretty consistently.

With that being said I think she's in one of the best spots she's ever been balance wise. 5 blink nurses were basically impossible to escape. I also think that she used to move only very slightly slower than other killers. But that was early into the games life. With her bugs supposedly being fixed this new mid chapter I think she'll be playable again.

• SuzuKR

You could just learn how to play against her instead of complaining she’s overpowered which is just blatantly objectively incorrect.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I disagree; I think it's important to understand the blink logic and memorize it with your mind's eye.

This discussion has been closed.