Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

We reduced the grind!! (except we kinda didn't) Part 2 Bloodpoint Boogaloo

KnotEnthusiast
KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464
edited June 2022 in General Discussions

Howdy folks, it's your favourite angry DBD nerd here to be annoyed a second time. I made a post after the "grind reduction" was first announced, where I did some math to determine that the grind reduction seemed to be in name only:

This discussion was responded to by @Peanits :

Who said that the fact that you could get all killers to P1 and then level accordingly in the most efficient way possible would result in substantial BP gains as you leveled up more and more killers. So I've been thinking about that, and because I am a total nerd and dislike losing my sweet sweet BBQ bonus, I figured I'd actually calculate that value.

So! We can start by explaining what the most efficient way of getting all perks on every killer, then calculate the number of levels required, then compare them to the current method. I'm also going to ignore inherent inefficiencies in starting out leveling, such as that before you unlock any teachables in the new method, a small number of levels will be wasted on bloodwebs that have no perks, as you will not have enough perk levels to fill every bloodweb up to 50. I also will assume you get the RNG that results in the most favourable amount of bloodwebs possible, and no perks get eaten. I'll also be calculating for killer, because there are fewer and therefore less work.

Most efficient level up method in the new system:

Much like the most efficient method in the current build, the best way to get all perks starts with getting all teachables on every killer. So, every killer goes up to level 50, then prestiged. But once we hit this point, then things get a bit more complicated:

Between P1 and P3, there exist 100 levels that will unlock 120 perk tiers. However, as you P3 more and more killers, the number of perks you have to buy to complete a killer drops, as you unlock more teachables by P2 and P3ing. So to get the most optimal leveling system, you have to find the balance between leveling up killers to P3 to remove their tiers from later bloodwebs, but not so many that you're wasting BP that didn't need to be spent. So, being a good nerd, I did what I had to do:

I MADE A SPREADSHEET.

Using this spreadsheet, I found that P3ing either 14 or 13 killers resulted in the least BP used, at roughly 3458 levels used. Notably less than the current 4182, but nowhere near the magical 75% reduction that the devs keep touting, and not even close enough to warrant the loss of BP bonuses on perks. This also isn't counting the new 50k BP fee to prestige, which is basically just an extra level that provides no perks to your total. I'd love to have my maths proven wrong, so if anyone sees a mistake, let me know.

TL:DR: I made a spreadsheet to find that the grind has reduced 18%, from 4182 levels required to 3458, not the magical 75%. According to Peanits, this should have been the most BP saved, but I'm still hard pressed to see how this new system required that BBQ and WGLF needed to be nerfed. This feels like the BP grind is simply going to get much worse, and urge the devs to make their BP bonuses base kit.

Comments

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422
    edited June 2022

The thing you're ignoring is that DBD is an old ass game and the vast vast majority of players have been playing for a while. There aren't very many brand new players in 2022. So yeah, starting from zero might only be an 18% reduction, but for the overwhelming majority of players who've already put in some work on the grid, it's a massive reduction and almost makes unlocking everything an attainable goal.

I do agree though that the 50k prestige fee is a little silly.

You're also ignoring the context of the 75% reduction. The 75% was going from playing 4 hours a day to an hour a day to unlock everything in a patch.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422

They didn't say it's a 75% reduction to the entire grind. They said it's a 75% reduction in the time it takes to unlock everything on everyone when a new chapter comes out. The math checks out.

It's not as relevant now but I still only have tier 3 BBQ on a couple killers. Now, if there's a perk I want on everyone, it's really easy to set that goal and actually see progress towards it.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

18% reduction on top of 50% BP gain reduction, effectively 1.6x grind?

• Kev19915
    Kev19915 Member Posts: 117

Yeah the grind is bad, I mean I know the “75% grind reduction” was referring to the perks. But I feel the grind in this game is too much, and this coming from someone with multiple P3s, and bunch of hours in game. I understand most games have a grind to leveling up characters and it’s an optional goal but yeah. When they first announced a grind reduction, this isn’t what I had in mind.

• KrazyKat1011123
    KrazyKat1011123 Member Posts: 170

yeah they reduced the perk grind I guess but we still need loads of bp to even get to lvl 50. I honestly feel like the x2 bp events should be base. With how many killers and survivors their are it’s not that unreasonable. At least a 1.5. This new grind reduction is fantastic for the people who have played for years and already have p3 everything. For new and just casual players it’s just eh

• KnotEnthusiast

It's an interesting case, as in a vacuum that one scenario is a decent savings: the old system required you to get the new killer to level 40, then unlock their perks on other killers, which would take 5 bloodwebs assuming good RNG:

1 1 0

2 1 1

2 2 2

3 3 2

3 3 3

then getting all perks on the new killer, which is 125 levels, for a final total of 305 (5*28+40+125)

The new system, at its most efficient, is the same as the all perks one: Level new killer to 51, then get their perks P3 on the other killers, which takes only 4 bloodwebs:

2 2 1

3 2 2

3 3 2

3 3 3

Because when there are only 2 perks left, you can only get one, which requires 2 bloodwebs (though all of this is assuming you're between levels 40 and 50, the number of levels required doubles if you're not, but they're arguably cheaper levels). So the new system totals to 162, or a little over half. Still not 75%, but still quite a bit of savings.

An interesting aspect is that, in order to do this with the next killer that comes out, you either have to P3 the prior killer to not have to worry about it, which adds 100 levels flat, or keep the prior killer at P1 and buy their T2 and 3 on the new killer. This actually isn't a problem for 2 killers after the original one left at P1, as you'll unlock all perk tiers of the P1 killers in the time it takes to get to P1 on the new one: 60 perk tiers between 1 and 50, with 39 tiers of non-teachables to unlock, and 6 tiers of their own perks. This leaves 15 perk tiers unused on the road to P1, which on the second and third killer would be used to buy the 6 tiers of all non-P3'd killers. But from there on out, you start having to invest more in the new killer to unlock everything. 3 extra levels on the forth killer, 9 on the fifth, 15 on the sixth, etc.

Does this matter at all?

Not even slightly. If you write out the Sigma calculations for the amount of levels required for both the old system with the ever increasing number of teachables jacking up the level requirements and the new system with this level increase every time, you compare:

Σ(9.5n+267) from 1 to 23

to

Σ(10n+191) from 5 to 23 + 686

where N is the number of new killers added past 28. This converges at some value around 310 new killers, but at any point past 23 you're just leveling new killers to p3 under the new system so the value never increases.

I don't know why I did this. Someone help me.

• KnotEnthusiast

If you use BBQ every game like I did, it unfortunately is not.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

Is it? You tell me if it’s helpful for you. Because if it is, then it works

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

Thanks a lot for your hard work, thats much appreciated. Still, I think the new system is vastly superior to the old. In the old you had very little control over what you actually got and the few characters that I prestiged were quite the gambles. When I P3ed my Pyramid Head I had comparable builds during P0-P2 .. but P3 was an absolute slog and I only got my favorite perks back once I hit P3+10.

With the old system you only needed to reach lvl 40 with a character that you didn't want to invest too much into, but now with the new system you actually get a lot of control over your perk loadouts, just getting a character with important perks will unlock these for everyone else and this feels so much more meaningful then just unlocking them on other characters bloodwebs.

Also, while I am as much on the fence as everyone else about the needless 50k bloodpoint tax to prestige, now prestiging doesn't come with the big bad disadvantage of old, ie you dont lose EVERYTHING! Before the decision to prestige a character wasn't taken lightly and usually involved a marathon of using all the good add-ons, survivor puddings/escape cakes and other consumables. Heck, I always wanted to prestige my Ace because he is a cool guy, but from his native perks he got sooooo many purple and iridescent items that I would have never prestiged him.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Everyone thinks I'm nuts too. I've tried to tell them the grind reduction is nowhere near the 75% claimed.

• Tishus
    Tishus Member Posts: 34

I am sad they will nerf the farming perks.

• KnotEnthusiast

True, but desirable add-ons and offerings will be much harder to come by, based on receiving fewer BP from perks

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162
    edited June 2022

You gain some, you lose some. But I really appreciate that your teachables now are actually a meaningful investment and don't just clutter up your Bloodweb. In the PTB I could open up any of my less played lvl 40 killers and already got a lot of the perks I love unlocked. This is huge.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Thanks for doing the math. They could've just removed perk tiers or made BBQ/WGLF bonus base-kit. Or even reduce the cost of everything in the bloodweb by 1k. Any of those would've been better. These changes feel stingy.

• Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696

You need to calculate this again using perk levels instead of just simply levels.

For reference:

291 total Killer perk levels

1st Killer P1 - 62 perk levels

2nd Killer P1 - 65 perk levels

3rd Killer P1 - 68 perk levels

28th Killer P1 - 143 perk levels

Now go back and reset all Killers from 1-27 and give them 143 perk levels.

You are saving 1218 perk levels simply by getting Prestige 1 on each Killer.

Now think about this if you wanted all perks on all Killers in the old system but left them at Level 50 (because you lose perks on Prestige)

Those 1218 perks you just saved in the new system -- Guess what they each cost 25k in the old system at level 50.

Thats 30,450,000 bloodpoints.

Your math isn't right.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

You don’t lose them though when you prestige any iridescent addons will stay

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288

it doesn't matter, because I never prestiged any character and didn't intend to do it anyway, but now you NEED to prestige in order to proceed to the next bloodweb - or am I missing something?

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

I was waiting for the Peanits rebuttal to come in. Boom. Worth the wait.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2022

The grind is a part of the money-making strategy that modern online multiplayers use. It keeps players playing. Having the grind behind paywalls earns them more money in the end. BHVR cannot drastically reduce the grind in a straight-forward sense because their board of directors probably wouldnt allow it.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I hate to complicate things for you but your calculations aren’t taking into account that the cost of a bloodpoint level changes over time as your level increases. The first 20 levels are significantly cheaper than the last 20 levels because the size and rarity of nodes both increase as level increases. Your spreadsheet though seems to be assuming that all levels are equal cost.

I think to actually get a sense of the cost of the true optimal path you need to take into account how many levels you need to go from level 1 to level N based on the assumption you made of getting one perk increase per level.

Also, as an aside, as a practical matter you don’t need to get all perks to level 3 for them to be useful. There are quite a lot of perks that level 1 or level 2 are fine (e.g. I doubt anybody cares about the differences between Devour Hope 1, 2 of 3 or NOED 1, 2 or 3.) So honestly there’s probably characters you simply don’t even need to bother Prestiging past Prestige 1 if you don’t care about getting all three of their perks leveled up on all your characters.

Plus there are perks that you might not even consider using on certain killers and don’t care if you unlock higher levels of them. Like if you play as Plague, do you really care if you have Coulrophobia unlocked on her?

• AndyKuky
    AndyKuky Member Posts: 84

It’s a great grind reduction for long time players. For example right now I have all my killers P3/50 except Dredge, and all perks on all killers except Dredge (I’ve barely played killer since he came out).

Now when a new killer comes out, that killer will get tier 3 perks from all the other killers right away. Then I just spend BP to unlock that killers perks on everyone else.

And even on survivors, there are lots of survivors who have all perks but I haven’t P3’d them. From what I understand, because they have all perks, they’ll hit P3 or higher and then all their perks are unlocked on new survivors as well.

The problem is it does nothing for new players or people who haven’t invested a lot. The grind for these people is still insane.