The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Does Pinhead's power relate to his lore? If not, how does it have a place in a PvP game?

13»

Comments

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,841

Tinkerer:

Whenever a Generator is repaired to 70 %, you benefit from the following effects:

Tinkerer can only trigger once per Generator per Trial.

Damn, I didn't know pinhead's power does this as well. I tried it out today and it didn't notify me of any gen progress. Should I make a bug report?

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

My, my ... here we have a real expert at PvP games design.

• Alex_
    Alex_ Member Posts: 143

First about the killrate: Behaviour told us not to use them as argument, because they are over all skill rates. Nurse has the lowest killrate, which doesn't mean she needs a buff.

About the information: Yes, with Leathal Persuer you can find the box right at the beginning, but it is only natural, that perks are better on some killers than on others, so I don't see a problem with Leathal just being good on Pinhead.

The sound the box makes furthermore very subtle, so you only really hear it, when you are more or less standing right on it. It is only there, because without it, it could easily happen that you run right over it without noticing, as it is really small, and that would imo not really make sense.

The info you get if you pick the box up is not that critical either, because first, as I stated, it is almos always a reward for good gamesense and thus deserved, and second, to make a little comparison here, doctor's Static Blast works similarily. Now, admitedly, Static Blast gives less info, but it is a Ability with cooldown where you only have to press a button. The box on the other hand only gives you info either once or twice a match or if you deserve it, depending on your skill as Pinhead.

The info you get when someone solves the box is also in most scenarios rather unimportant. Sure, if there are two survivors left, you're chasing one, and then you hear the sound of the box, you know there is no gen being done. But if there are more survivors it is really hard to get reliable infornation. Now you could argue that it helps if you don't know where survivors are, and this is true. It undeniably tells you, where to go to find someone. But I would not call this broken, because you get similar, maybe even more info by just patroling gens, because you find a survivor, which is the same result as with the box, AND you now know the progress of a gen. If you just teleport, there might pop two gens you could have stopped by not following that information. So yes, he gets information, but using this information to you advantage is difficult. You can't just blindly follow the info you get, because you would neglect other necesary info you have to gather yourself.

About the passive slowdown: There are many killers that come with passive effects. Sometimes its slowdown, like Pinhead or Pig have them, or it is the ability to keep survivors injured, like the Plague can. This is in generally no big deal. You can balance these passives just like you can balance active abilities, and Pinheads passive, yes, is strong, but not broken or anything. The Pigs passive slowdown arguably is stronger, but her power overall is not as strong, so it doesn't really matter. I think Pinhead is in a really good spot, balance-wise.

(Pardon me if there are many typos, I'm writing on my phone, which comes with it's difficulties.

Also I hope my explanaitions are at least to some extend understandable, my ability to explain is not the best I think.)

• Alcuin
    Alcuin Member Posts: 460

Is it personally offensive if one doesn't think Pinhead is difficult?

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

No, not personally offensive. But your claim "passive abilities don't belong in a PvP game" is the kind of blanket statement that 19/20 times is build on such a shaky foundation that it basically tumbles over itself. Issued in this way it would mean that no passive abilty whatsoever, no matter its design, had any place in any PvP game, because because. Thats why I showed in a sarcastic way how non-impressed I was by your in-depth knowledge of PvP game design. But its nothing personal :)

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,051

You start talking about skill, we can bottle any killer power down to not being skillful. It's not skillful for someone to step into a trap with Trapper, it's not skillful for the infection meter to go up with Plague, and it's not skillful for Victor to see blood brighter. Just don't go there.

• Araphex
    Araphex Member Posts: 696

This isn't PVP. It's an asymmetrical multiplayer horror game. Passive powers definitely belong in the game. That's why the devs put them there.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Uh...no.

Just - no.

Doing the box is part of how the Cenobite matchup works. It's not rocket science - if it's getting close, go and do it, and don't lead him to the box in a chase.

Without it, his toolkit is terrible.

Pinhead was fine before the patch and is fine after. He was lower-mid tier, and still is.

He is a character that is a bit tough for solos to handle, but this game can't be balanced around solos, unfortunately, because you can't balance around a lack of coordination or people doing silly things.