We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Forcefully kicked from match

Options

Comments

• Timmylaw
    Timmylaw Member Posts: 217
    Options

I've been getting "Disconnected from host" and wracking up penalties. It's super annoying and mostly happens when playing survivor, I can see the killers perks and everything, no one in my swf gets kicked, just me.

• RedRosesRot
    RedRosesRot Member Posts: 3
    Options

I play on PC and I've been having this same issue for the past 48 hours. I'm now up to a 15 minute penalty because it thinks that I've been disconnecting, but I haven't. It's mostly been happening as I've played Demogorgon and kicked a gen then charged my shred--it cancels my charge and I am unable to do anything except run around for a minute. The survivors can't seem to see me but I can see them just fine and they aren't running into walls, which tells me it's NOT my internet as I can watch them heal each other, t-bag, finish gens, etc.

It's only happened to me once as a survivor thus far, but this has only become an issue for me SINCE the bug fix--nothing like this has ever happened to me before, and it's very frustrating putting 1500 hours into a game that has begun to punish me for trying to play it only to be disconnected by the server itself.

• EasternSpock
    EasternSpock Member Posts: 48
    Options

Yeah it has happened to me on killer and survivor with various things seeming to trigger it (health or hook state change, picking up a survivor, etc.) what you described has happened to me on several killers, where I am using/charging their power, then get stuck in the animation and realize I can’t do anything. Then it’s the loading screen and endgame lobby with “Disconnected from Host” error. It was happening to me before the bug fix patch too but more and more people seem to be experiencing it as of late.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

My SWF teammate is on PS4, he's also on east coast US server (NH). He was just kicked from the match while working on gen when Trickster started hitting a random teammate with knives.

• midnightdawn
    midnightdawn Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2023
    Options

UPDATE :

game works fine in epic games

i merged my account to Epic games and everything works fine

no disconnect from host anymore so the problem with steam itself !?

Post edited by midnightdawn on
  • EasternSpock
    edited May 2023
    Options

I would wait and see, it could be a coincidence - sometimes I am able to play a series of games without the issue only to suddenly have it happen 4-5 times shortly after.

It can’t just be a steam issue because people in this thread have reported having the issue on PS5, PS4, Xbox, and Switch. It’s possible that BHVR could be doing something to fix it behind the scenes without ever publicly saying anything about it. It’d be kind of maddening if that’s how it ends up being handled. I suppose I will be grateful if the issue just disappears, but I’d rather have confirmation that it’s fixed so I don’t have to be paranoid.

• eisenbuns
    eisenbuns Member Posts: 85
    Options

This unfortunately is not the fix— as part of my troubleshooting last week I tried the game on Epic and was still met with a Disconnect from Host error playing my first match.

That said, I haven’t had any disconnections for the last 1.5 days! I agree it would be nice to get public acknowledgment of a fix/efforts made, but I guess I’d be okay if it just stopped happening, too. 😅

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 435
    Options

Issues like this are why I believe that the DC penalty needs to have a cap on it. Anything longer than an hour is just excessive, regardless of the reason for the DC.

I've been lucky, I haven't experienced this issue as excessively as some others have. It only happens to me once in a blue moon. Like, maybe once a month or so?

• EasternSpock
    Options

Still happening

• nuknfut
    nuknfut Member Posts: 1
    Options

Just got disconnected again.... 30 min penalty imposed on me because DBD is broken. Funny how it doesn't disconnect when I purchase skins. Like many on here, I DC when someone is hooked, changes health state for the worse, etc. etc...

• bm33
    Options

Just had match with my SWF teammate where he was kicked at the end of the match. Was his second match of the day, first as survivor. He was in a chase after all gens were done, I cleansed the NOED totem that had activated and as soon as the totem exploded he was kicked. He was able to confirm the killers load out before anyone had walked through the exit gate.

• bm33
    Options

SWF teammate kicked again - second time in our game session. Killer had bad ping (was red knife from start of match). SWF teammate was working on a gen, someone else was downed for first down of the match and my SWF teammate was kicked - HUD still showed him on gen even though he was no longer in the match. He was able to tell me the killers load out even though match had just started. SWF teammate called it a night to avoid anymore DC penalties.

• wiccan
    wiccan Member Posts: 37
    Options

I am up to an hour dc timer because the game keeps kicking me from matches. My ping is fine, my internet is fine, my lan cable that I have plugged in is not loose. Nothing is wrong on my end, I have checked time and time again. Please remove the dc timer until there is a fix for this. It is getting to a point where I’m afraid to play because if I do and get disconnected, my dc timer goes up even more.

• EasternSpock
    Options

Yeah I went back and forth with BHVR support for weeks and tried all the troubleshooting that they recommended on my end but none of it worked. It has to be an issue with the game itself or servers and it seems they either can’t identify what’s causing it or how to fix it. Anything you say to BHVR support about the DC penalties resulting from this issue garners the same response of “the penalty system is fully automated, we don’t accept appeals, etc”. I had to just stop playing for a week to reset the penalty.

Unfortunately that’s probably the best course of action if you’re already at an hour long penalty. At least then you won’t start getting hit with the 6+ hour penalties in the middle of the anniversary event.

• wiccan
    Options

That’s ridiculous. At this point playing survivor eventually racks up the timer but I can’t even play killer at all. It’s a guaranteed dc multiple times a day. Until I see a statement made by them acknowledging the issue I’m just gonna have to stop playing altogether I think.

• wiccan
    Options

Well, I tried one more game, got dc’d, and now I’m at a 6 hour ban. Uninstalled. Good luck to y’all, hope the issue gets resolved.

• VdG232
    VdG232 Member Posts: 16
    Options

I had the same issue again after 5 days without DC.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Came here looking for a similar thread. I've been randomly disconnected from matches once a day now for a while. Like I am winning my match as killer and booted. Very frustrated with this. I just want to play.

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

Wow I just got disconnected by the game again. Fifteen minute ban now because I was booted by DBD's server two times in three games.

• Steel_Eyed
    Options

Third time today. I've never seen it this bad before. I managed to get two games in a row before being kicked. This is pitiful.

• edgereflex
    edgereflex Member Posts: 1
    Options

having the same issue here, contacted support and get the standard 'restart your router' message which does nothing

• EasternSpock
    Options

Disappointing to hear that they’re still recommending all the troubleshooting that doesn’t work and suggesting it’s on the player’s end. Several of us have done everything that support recommended and at this point there’s no excuse to continue having people waste their time like that. Pretty disingenuous on their part. I went through a long back and forth with support and tried all their suggestions. Ended with them claiming to be investigating the issue on their end, and that they can offer no timeline on a fix. They should be leading with that at this point.

• bm33
    Options

My swf teammate mentioned the DC penalty, got that canned response about DC penalties with trouble shoot first time. Responded troubleshooting didn't work and that his internet wasn't problem, they just repeated the response about DC penalties with it being his internet fault and closed the ticket on him. It's not good that they aren't spending the time to actually get more information from people and trying to fix issue but instead just blaming internet and calling it a day.

• eisenbuns
    Options

Here to say that although this issue has gotten a bit better for me, I'm still getting a "Disconnection from Host" error at least once per day. I have staggered my playing so that my penalty is only at 5-10 minutes right now, but that is still frankly unacceptable and still no acknowledgment from BHVR.

• chesnoodle
    chesnoodle Member Posts: 30
    Options

Yup, this is what i’ve been doing making sure my timer never gets above 15 minutes and taking breaks to reset it entirely. I’m still getting the disconnected from host error after the most recent patch… Kinda interested to see if they remove DC penalties when they introduce the bots to replace players who DC in public matches. Obviously removing penalties isn’t an actual solution to the problem, but at least we wouldn’t get punished for their faulty servers.

• JonOzzie16
    JonOzzie16 Member Posts: 203
    Options

This keeps happening to me on PS5 randomly as well. It's anytime during the match. I was literally about to escape and it happened once. So frustrating.

• Robotfangirl67
    Robotfangirl67 Member Posts: 631
    edited May 2023
    Options

Had the same problem on PlayStation 4 last night. Usually for the most part my internet is also fine. But then of a sudden got kick out of a match. Got a 13 minute penalty. I know 13 minutes is nothing but I will agree that it sucks that you ended up getting punished for no reason. I even had video evidence and try to send it to customer service. They sent me a automated message and told me to post my issue on here the forums. But yeah I totally get it, it’s annoying for sure.

Edit: Well customer support got back to me and said that the best we all can do is monitor our internet. Basically if that happens again we have to either restart our internet and also gaming systems.

Post edited by Robotfangirl67 on
  • obiwancannoli
    obiwancannoli Member Posts: 6
    Options

They need to cap the matchmaking ban since they are doing nothing to fix this. I'm at a 6 hour ban right now, DC'd in the middle of hooking a survivor. Next one will be 12 hours and so close to the anniversary I don't wanna risk getting even more time added on. It needs to be capped out at like 30 minutes or something, not being able to play for a whole day is absurd.

• eisenbuns
    Options

It's having a rough go of it today. Just DCed from my 3rd match tonight after a health state validation. It's getting old.

• Robotfangirl67
    Options

Wow, I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. I agree they should cap the penalty to 30 minutes so that no one will have to deal with long penalties for no reason.

• Robotfangirl67
    Options

I get it completely. These Bad servers DCs really need to be addressed and fixed.

• bm33
    Options

Triggers causing the forced DCs are the same triggers that have caused performance issues on consoles/low end PCs. Couple years ago Pulsar started this post about poor optimization and those of us experiencing freezes/frame drops noticed it was from certain things happening in the match. Not sure if related but seems worth bringing up that same triggers we complained about causing performance issues are now causing players to be kicked from matches.

https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/245229/the-continued-ignorance-of-performance-issues-continues-to-hamper-player-fun/p1

• EasternSpock
    Options

The suggestion to monitor internet/console is pretty laughable when this is something that ONLY happens with DBD. Pretty sure they just don’t want to outright admit that it’s a problem that they are aware of but don’t know how to fix, because that’s a pretty unacceptable outcome. Personally I would at least respect the honesty and appreciate the communication if they were to do that. I have a hard time believing no one at BHVR has seen this thread and I can’t think of another reason why after 70+ comments they would say absolutely nothing about it.

The fact that they opt for silence on the issue makes it seem like they fear severely affected players will demand compensation, and they don’t want to deal with that because it’s pretty murky what would be “owed” to players that have spent money on the game and been prevented from playing for varying periods of time.

• wiccan
    edited May 2023
    Options

This report has over 30 likes and has players from multiple platforms commenting on the same issues, with the same/similar triggers. We’ve already ruled out that it’s internet. Plenty of people, including myself, use a wired connection, have a good pc, or have have tested connection speeds plenty of times.

If others have troubleshooted for weeks with support and it still hasn’t been solved, it’s clearly not something on the player’s end. It’s especially aggravating seeing other reports that are far less game-breaking receive quicker acknowledgement when it’s very obvious that this is a continuous issue that is preventing people from playing the game AND punishing them for it.

The anniversary is a month away. I uninstalled due to these issues but would like to come back for the event. It would be extremely disheartening to be unable to play it because the developers refuse to even recognize this to be an issue, let alone find a solution.

Post edited by wiccan on
  • Robotfangirl67
    Options

I totally agree and yes I would also love to have better commutation and also having them not be silence all the time. I will also say that they should also keep providing for everyone on every platform when it comes to any connection issues. I will also agree that everyone should also get what they paid for while trying to play the game. Cause yes having a broken game that still broken is definitely not okay. Especially like you said when people paid and also spend time into the game.

• Fuzion
    Fuzion Member Posts: 9
    Options

Platform: Pc

Lobby Host: East Cost

To recreate: Ill play a survivor or killer game and halfway through the match i get black screened then i get the disconnected from host error

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191
    Options

BHVR ever gonna acknowledge that their servers are messed up?

• EasternSpock
    Options

Curious about this snippet from the recent PTB patch notes in regards to this issue. Doesn’t sound promising in terms of a fix but I am assuming it will now say something other than “Disconnected from Host”

• eisenbuns
    Options

So I'm hearing they CAN tell the difference between a disconnect, a server issue, and a timeout? :p

• EasternSpock
    edited May 2023
    Options

I’m hoping the reason for this change is related to the reports of this issue. Maybe they will better be able to troubleshoot on their end if players can specify which sort of connection error is occurring. If that enables them to fix it, or at the very least make it so the penalty system doesn’t punish players for server issues, I’m for it.

The second option is of course less than ideal, because even without the unfair DC penalties it sucks to play almost an entire match and then get kicked, losing all BP and challenge progress. Especially if it’s happening game after game, which seems to be the case sometimes.

Post edited by EasternSpock on
  • eisenbuns
    Options

After a string of "Disconnected from Host" errors yesterday I'm up to a 30 minute ban again. Acknowledgment would be sincerely appreciated. We're going on months of this problem, we're leading up to the anniversary event, and I am scared to dare to play even a single match (this was my first match of the day).

• obiwancannoli
    obiwancannoli Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2023
    Options

I think I may have found a fix for some of the crashes. A few days ago in the options i turned off the new tome challenge tracking hud they added recently and I haven't had a crash since whereas before i had crashes everyday with it enabled.

• EasternSpock
    edited May 2023
    Options

Thanks for that info, I’ll give it a shot later this evening and edit this comment if I get DC’ed. It’s hard not to be skeptical at this point but I don’t remember having this issue before the mid chapter update for Forged in Fog in late January so it definitely seems worth a try.

EDIT: Like eisenbuns, I was still disconnected from host after disabling it. Had a hopeful streak of matches until I had it happen like less than a minute into a match after a doctor used static blast.

Post edited by EasternSpock on
  • eisenbuns
    edited May 2023
    Options

Likewise! I disabled it last night and did not have any disconnects. I will also edit this post if that changes. Absolutely worth a shot!

EDIT: That didn't last long. I was disconnected from host and have another 30 minute penalty after trying to vault during the EGC.

Post edited by eisenbuns on
  • chesnoodle
    edited May 2023
    Options

I saw someone on another thread telling people to turn off their tome challenges to stop disconnects and it worked for about two days, now i’m getting the kicked even more frequently. I didn’t realize there was an actual setting to turn off the tome tracking hud so i’ll have to try this too. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Still getting disconnected from host every other round..

Post edited by chesnoodle on
  • chesnoodle
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Post edited by chesnoodle on
  • eisenbuns
    Options

I submitted another support ticket today with the following message.

Hi, sorry for the all-caps. 

Please, please do not give me a form response. I know y'all are busy, but I desperately need to know that you are taking this seriously. 

I'm sure you're aware, but there is a thread in the bug reporting forum that has upwards of 90 comments surrounding the sudden uptick in "Disconnected From Host" errors occurring in the game, apparently across all platforms. 

((Linked to this thread))

This is the thread, started by Chesnoodle. I have been a frequent participator in this thread, and have been doing my best to work through troubleshooting steps with several other people there.

To be clear, several times a day, I receive a "Disconnected from Host" error and am booted from live matches. This results in DC penalties racking up exponentially. Usually, I have to take a long break from DBD to get the penalties to reset, so that I can play without fear of getting a ridiculous ban. 

Let me run you through the troubleshooting I've done:

- Restarted my modem/router

- Contacted my ISP

- Had my ISP come to my house and agree there is nothing wrong with my connection

- Exchanged my ethernet cables

- Opened your recommended ports on my router

49003 – UDP Inbound AUDIO

49004 – UDP Outbound AUDIO

49005 – UDP Inbound VIDEO

49006 – TCP/UDP Outbound/Inbound Remote Input

- Changed my DNS settings 

- Monitored packet losses while playing the game (no drops, but DBD disconnects while my internet is unaffected and no other games/programs lose connection)

- Repaired the game 

- Uninstalled the game

- Installed the game via Epic Games with the same result, so I returned my purchase and went back to Steam

- Extensive (and I mean EXTENSIVE) tests with various in-game settings that others have tried, like de-selecting tome challenges or turning off the in-game challenge notifications on the HUD

I have tried just about everything I can think of on my end to resolve this issue. I have 5.5k hours in Dead by Daylight and have played the game since the anniversary in 2020. I have never had this kind of problem before, and from the sound of it, it's not an isolated issue.

Forum user EasternSpock had the following exchange with someone from support in early May:

"You see.. Internet service providers use things called internet exchange points to efficiently carry data from your device to any destination. These points are along a path where data from your device is sent to the Dead by Daylight servers and back to your device. If an internet exchange point is having trouble or goes down, this can impact your connection which seems to be your case."

This led to us doing some chatting, and confirming that several of us are in a similar area (Southern New Hampshire, Northeastern Massachusetts, Boston-area, etc). So, it's likely that our ISPs are routing through the same IXP. I hope this is helpful information for your purposes.

With all of that being said, I want to express how frustrating it is not to have a single response from your team on our forum post. This issue has frustrated so many people. It's driving me and others away from the game. We just want to play! We want to give you our money, and get excited about the anniversary event, and play with our friends. But instead, we're literally getting shut out, and it seems that our asks for help and *acknowledgment* are going unanswered. 

If Dead by Daylight was a ranked game, I could understand the need for a penalty for disconnections. But it isn't. The only 'rank' that exists is our MMR, which will dip each time we disconnect anyway. I don't see the logic in forcing people out of the game for something beyond their control, and I guess I never will. 

Were you ever the good kid in school who never did anything to get into trouble, and then felt sick to your stomach when your whole class got silent lunch because of bad behavior from a few students? That's what this feels like.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this message. I am passionate about Dead by Daylight, and especially with the anniversary coming up, I want to be able to experience it with my friends. Please let us know, at least, that we've been heard.

Thank you.

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191
    Options

I decided to try using a VPN and still get randomly disconnected from host despite my connection being stable otherwise. Currently at 60 minute penalty. I don't buy IXP excuse as I'd presumably be seeing similar issues with other AWS-hosted games.

• EasternSpock
    edited May 2023
    Options

Well thanks to both of you guys for continuing to reach out to support about this. If Eisenbuns' message doesn't get some acknowledgement I don't know what will. At least they responded to nopuzzles by actually admitting that it's an issue they're working on instead of the usual troubleshooting suggestions. Really hoping for a fix by the anniversary event because being forced to play less and potentially missing out would be a huge bummer.