[Discussion] Many streamers, players leave the game, why?

Options
Th3Nightmare
Th3Nightmare Member Posts: 1,265
edited April 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Although I am going to receive a barrage of various negative comments that the game is on the right track, I will leave my point of view with more than 6200 hours in the game after 7 years.

I will be clear and to the point.

It's great that BHVR introduces these patches (like the 6.7.0 mid chapter) to balance some elements of the game (maps, perks) but... what's the point?

After a few months, the game will fall more and more because every player adapts and in the end you won't find any point of balance.

Since 2016 the game has evolved with respect to various balance changes: healing times, perk adjustments, map adjustments, some other changes in the game system such as (action times, repair, among other actions), among the addition of a "new mechanic" of blessing totems to create an area zone and... THE NEW "endgame collapse" MECHANIC.

For me of all this, the innovative thing was the endgame collapse.

Speaking of this mentioned, really if we stop to look at it, from 2016 to 2023, some changes have been to "adjust numbers" what do I mean by this so that it is understood?

For example: Healing in 2016, did you heal in less than... 4-5 seconds yourself? I don't remember, but it was super fast, as of today, it has changed values to heal you slower with the addition of the PERKS boons totems mechanic.

The rest, changes in perks (some other numbers, introduction of flailing hooks LIKE PERK... among other things...) For me, this is not imnovating, for me this is to continue introducing more "PERKS" to the game, with different For the purposes, for me what really means innovation was the introduction of the ENDGAME collapse or also the introduction of the totem boons, although the totem boons don't seem like SOMETHING VERY BIG to me.

With all this I want to say that many years have passed, where BHVR has not refreshed any mechanics to the current times 2023, such as the theme of loops, generators, doors...

and even looking for a gameplay PERKS renewal, I know this is not done in a day, but... the question is:

Will BHVR keep introducing more and more PERKS as the MAIN MECHANIC of the game? and... will BHVR continue to adjust numbers of perks, healing in the coming years? Obviously I don't know, but apparently with the latest patches yes (I understand that it is super necessary to adjust perks and all this field.)

And to finish, my final thought: I would like you to refresh the game mechanics: like the loop system, add some new mechanics so that the game feels alive in 2023.

I don't know, as an old player, I like that they introduce new content, BALANCE, because the game needs this, but you should also think about refreshing your GAME (how your game works) without altering the main mechanics too much, but making changes that THERE IS a difference compared to 2016, because really if we look at this part, IT IS THE SAME.

Nothing more to add, I hope for some future in the 7th anniversary.

Comments

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

It's hard for them to come up with "new mechanics" and code them into the game

The game was meant to be a small thing... but when they brought Mickey they didn't expect it be what it is now

The foundation of this game is broken... you must realize this

Introducing something new now would only break the game further

They need to fix the foundation first

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,205
    Options

Loops did change tho.

I think you want completely different game at this point.

New content is basically perks, maps, killers.

We can hope they will keep changing existing content, but I doubt we will see major changes in current game design.

It's simply not easy and could backfire hard.

• Th3Nightmare
    Options

Going this way, it's called "easy way"

Shoot another way, it's the hard way.

• Th3Nightmare
    Options

Totally agree, code problem, but as they continue like this... the game won't get much further, honestly.

League of Legends has been going on for 13 years, and it refreshes every year, bringing out new mechanics every SEASON, this is what I mean, but it's totally, the code is something... BAD.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,650
    Options

Well I agree that bHVR has done things to keep things the same, but they have also done minor things in the other way that are nice.

I do agree they need to add more substantial things to the game. Like:

• Glass Windows, that survivors can open, but cause bleeding and noise notification.
    • lockable doors that take longer to break down, lock it with the green key.

Stuff like this would elevate the game so much.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    Options

It's way easier for games like dota, or league of legends etc. where everyone is affected equally.

That doesn't work for an asymmetric game.

Thing is, they are slow with changes. Which is whole different issue. So bad mechanic is going to stay for a while.

It could actually kill the game, if they try some new mechanic that would end up heavily in favor of one side.

They are not good at balancing this limited content and you expect new core mechanic?

• Archael
    Archael Member Posts: 721
    Options

IMO

There should me much less perks (3x less) With more distinction between them:

1. It would be easier to distinguish them.
    2. It would be easier to balance those.

Perks should be free content. Every surv and killer should bring new perk (one per character) but perks should be unclocked with update, it should be the characters that need to be bought.

Yes, one may say that people would not buy survs who are just glorified skins... But why then people buy skins or actually use those survs? People loves skins and will buy those, but unlocked perks would turn game to not be p2w (right now it is).

Next step would be to remove grind entirely (yes, goodbye bloodweb, all perks unlocked from the start) and develop other means to keep players playing the game like archives, rifts... Wait...

Maybe some seasonal ranked modes with unique skins to win?

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    edited April 2023
    Options

Oh right, it's not like both sides do it, right? You are not better btw.

Because killers didn't get any nerfs, none at all. Only poor survivors. Victims of those dirty tunnelers.

Nice bed time story tho, sadly pure fiction.

• Archael
    Archael Member Posts: 721
    Options

So, ifinite loops and insta blinds was removed because angry entitled killers cried this out, and calling those things "toxic" or "unhealthy" means killers are campers, and survivors are just "fighting back"...

Well... Only thing i can do here is a facepalm...

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

And it's not the code itself... it's how they code the game as well

They are using Unreal Engine 4 BTW (as far as I'm aware)

But how they code the game makes certain things impossible... like what you're talking about

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,481
    Options

A new game mode has been requested often and the topic popped up on some official Surveys so… I kinda have my hopes up a little bit for something in that direction for the anniversary stream 👀 (hopefully something more interesting 2v8 or similar)

also the finisher Mori stuff is still in the works though might be something completely different than the last PTB version of it

• Th3Nightmare
    Options

Totally agree! Things like this, they are small, but they are already new mechanics in the gameplay, the thing is that it is, BHVR has maintained its game for 7 years the SAME, why doesn't it do something NOW?

Adding windows with glass for example and if the survivors like to loop, then let it be a while that they are not doing gens and bother opening them.

• Th3Nightmare
    Options

How are they going to introduce a new game mode if their only game mode is the same for 7 years and it's super unbalanced? xd

• Mooks
    Options
  • Th3Nightmare
    Options

I would not introduce a new mode, if I was DEVELOPER, I would try to introduce new mechanics in the game (only mode I have) and improve it, refresh it, I would completely forget about adding a new game mode until I SEE that my game is acceptable.

• Mooks
    Options

But you are not a developer for DbD and many people in the community are asking for a new game mode to make this game feel more refreshing.

and… the game isn’t even as bad as people make it out. It is being fairly successful and any competitors in the same genre were even more unbalanced and/or failed due to other reasons.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    Options

Oh right, new mode, because queue times are irrelevant now...

Why waste months of work on something to be forgotten in two weeks?

Rather make proper killer, not another merchant.

• Mooks
    Options

If players are leaving anyways queue times won’t get better either, do they?

also, plenty of games do just fine with different game modes. Might even draw in players that left and new players altogether.

new killer? We get these every three month already, it’s at a point were they don’t feel that refreshing anymore and people will complain about any new killer anyways.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    Options

And how many of those games are asymmetrical?

It's fine if you need equal amount of players on each side, so there is one queue for all.

DBD is different.

• Mooks
    Options

Hm. Sure it’s different. But then again, it’s also just a videogame, and people are asking for something refreshing which a new killer just doesn’t bring. We both don’t know how a new game mode would influence things, but it should obviously be designed to not overshadow either side of the current game roles while bringing something completely new.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    Options

You realize this is something that could actually kill the game?

They can't afford splitting player base of either side, that would be really bad.

This game doesn't have that many players and you need specific ratio, which makes it way worse.

It's nowhere near close to classic games.

There is no need for new mode. This is the mode they should work on and improve. That's the game people started to play and keep coming back.

If you want something else, just play different game. There is no need to fit everything in one game.

They have more than enough trouble with one mode.

• Mooks
    Options

The game might also die if it stays stale for too long and the only new content is perks that no one cares about and new killers that are more and more just variations of existing killers.

new game mode can draw in new players and players that left, which can also pick up the existing mode (again). If the existing mode is so bad that people are leaving that because a new game mode is better … why would those people not leave the game completely to begin with?

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    Options

You know people are still playing Team Fortress, or Left 4 Dead? Counter-Strike too.

Exactly same game for many years. No changes. None at all.

If you make main game good enough, you don't care about lack of changes.

I will rather have them trying to make main mode better than trying some random things with alternative modes.