We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Dedicated server is not responding; disconnecting...

Options
EasternSpock
EasternSpock Member Posts: 48
edited June 2023 in Bug Reporting

I am on PS5 playing on US East Coast servers, and have posted before about being kicked from matches and receiving "Disconnected from Host" error messages. With the latest update, the error messages were changed to be more clear. It now says, "Dedicated server is not responding; disconnecting...".

It happened to me today as Singularity right after I switched to a biopod, and suddenly realized I did not have a prompt to exit it. Though this is my first time experiencing this since the update, the same thing has been happening regularly in my matches since around January of 2023 and I have been receiving disconnect penalties for it which force me to stop playing the game. The error usually coincides with a change of health or hook states, using a killer power, performing an interaction, etc. Anything the server has to validate I suppose.

I hope the fact that this new error message specifies it is an issue with the dedicated servers will help BHVR to quickly resolve it. This thread includes hundreds of comments from a number of players that regularly experience similar disconnections, which we can now see are an issue with servers not responding: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/366497/forcefully-kicked-from-match/p1

Please acknowledge this report, it's been an endlessly frustrating issue that has repeatedly prevented me from enjoying a game I've purchased content for. Video of one experience below, several other examples in the comments.

Post edited by EasternSpock on
67 votes

Under Review · Last Updated

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue, we are forwarding this to the team for their review.

Comments

• EasternSpock
    Options

Here is another example of the "Dedicated server is not responding..." error I just experienced while playing survivor. This example also shows a disconnection icon for every player in the endgame lobby, like @Malkhrim described. Needs fix ASAP, please acknowledge.

• VirtuaTyKing
    VirtuaTyKing Member Posts: 438
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just had the same.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • EasternSpock
    Options

Happened again. Canceled using my power, realized I had no prompt to use it again and then the match ended with same "Dedicated server is not responding..." message. Once again, endgame lobby shows everyone as having disconnected. This time I also included extra footage showing that I received a DC penalty for it.

• caro99
    caro99 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Same thing for me..

https://youtu.be/NawzLelI7rw

• Delzado
    Delzado Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have the same problem, but only when i face up versus a Pyramid Head...

• eisenbuns
    eisenbuns Member Posts: 85
    Options

Surprising absolutely no-one, I am having this same bug, and have been having it for months without any assistance from BHVR. :) Just happened to me against a Ghostface on Dead Dawg when I tried to Any Means a pallet. As soon as I interacted with the pallet, I DCed.

• chesnoodle
    chesnoodle Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2023
    Options

Other than the regular bugs that come after a new chapter my game was running fine for a few days, now I am starting to receive this new error “Dedicated server is not responding disconnecting…” in the end game screen it looks as if everyone has disconnected. Playing against Myers on Decimated Borgo, I didn’t notice anything that may have been the cause. I will continue to comment with a clip each time this happens, I know we would all like a response from BHVR.

• EasternSpock
    Options

I messaged a player I was in match with today, and even though it shows a disconnect icon next to every player in the endgame lobby, no one else aside from me was kicked from the match.

• malatruse
    malatruse Member Posts: 781
    Options

Same for me, on Windows 11 Steam.

• Yua3690
    Yua3690 Member Posts: 1
    Options

This keeps happening to me! Its hard for me to even play because it randomly disconnects me.

• eisenbuns
    Options

Up to a 10 minute ban because of this.

Dedicated server not responding. Will it ever end?

• DoctorBoufous
    DoctorBoufous Member Posts: 4
    Options

I have been having this issue for a few months now. I've talked back and forth with BHVR and all they ended up saying is that it's on Sony's end (I'm on PS4). I doubt this is the case, as I have only had issues with this game. I took a week-long break due to the bans getting higher and higher, but today I've been dc'd twice in the past hour and a half. I do love this game and really hope this gets resolved, I've put over a year of time and quite a bit of money into it.

• EasternSpock
    edited June 2023
    Options

I've also gone back and forth with support for months and they just continually either repeat troubleshooting suggestions I've already tried, or say they're looking into it or investigating "my case", but can provide no timeline. With no acknowledgement from BHVR, I really fear that the issue will be ignored and that all the time and money I've put into the game will feel like a complete scam. Support has told me to contact both Sony & my ISP and both say there's nothing wrong with my internet/console and say I should contact the publisher of the game that I'm having issues with.

It's extremely disappointing, I love the game as well. This needs acknowledgment. Each support email has a different name attached to the header, sometimes it feels like a real person and sometimes it feels like AI troubleshooting or boilerplate responses. It makes me feel like there's no continuity or progress to my discussions.

• DoctorBoufous
    DoctorBoufous Member Posts: 4
    Options

Appreciate you sharing your experience on this. I was about to go the route of contacting Sony, but I'd had the sneaking suspicion that it would be much the same conversation with a similar outcome.

• chesnoodle
    Options

Playing on Xbox Series S on East Coast US servers. My game froze while trying to uncloak as Wraith, I was kicked out of the match and received a “Dedicated server is not responding disconnecting…” error in the end game screen along with a DC penalty. A few other instances where I received the error in the endgame screen after finishing a match, but I still got all of my points and I did not receive a DC penalty.

• eisenbuns
    Options

Received yet another "Dedicated server is not responding disconnecting" today (and last night) after my teammate healed me. 15 minute penalty so far. I have emailed support yet again to express my disappointment and frustration with the lack of transparency and acknowledgment from their team.

• chesnoodle
    Options

“Dedicated server is not responding disconnecting…” against Nurse on Autohaven Wreckers. Not sure what caused this one.

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 326
    Options

Had this happen the other day, too. Was using a VPN to the Virginia server and the whole lobby DC'd with that error

• CupidsMedic
    CupidsMedic Member Posts: 1
    Options

Yup same thing happened to me and I didn’t even play yet, loaded up dbd had a killer daily decided to go do that loaded up into a match and everything. It was taking forever however so I figured someone dc’d and waited.. after no kidding about 15 minutes of it just loading I decided to close app and restart. That’s when I hit play to join another game and it won’t even let me in the lobby anymore.. I legit can’t play. Thanks behavior. Also have various clips of SO MANY BUGS since this update.. SO MANY HACKERS as well. Game is ######### unplayable.

• chesnoodle
    Options

We’re under review that’s exciting

• EasternSpock
    Options

Here is another example of mine where you can see the server stop responding after a teammate got unhooked in the HUD.

I'm on PS5 so I can't upload .log files from games where the error occurs, but if any PC players in the thread can do so I'm thinking that might be helpful for devs to review? There's instructions in the pinned post on bug reporting forum. Glad the status of this thread is changed from pending!

• chesnoodle
    Options

My first game on tonight I was disconnected and received a 30 minute penalty. My internet is perfectly fine, in fact I waited until no one else was using my internet to try and play. I don’t have much more information to help at this point, I just want BHVR to know what we have been putting up with for months now. The anniversary event is in just a few days and some of us can’t even play the game, really hoping we find a solution soon.

• eisenbuns
    Options

Just happened to me again in the EGC, on RPD against The Singularity. No cause that I could see. Gates were open, I was waiting to guide my friend out the exit and I disconnected.

I'm going to try to attach the log file below, but it won't open on my computer, so no promises!

• eisenbuns
    edited June 2023
    Options

Happy first day of anniversary: it's a 30 minute ban. This event is such a disaster between the community and this baloney.

• EasternSpock
    Options

I'd just like to note that this error even occurs while playing in customs versus a lobby of bots. Video below. Just had it happen again in a public match as well and am pretty upset that the server issues are going to ruin my first time playing during an anniversary event.

• DaFunkyJ
    DaFunkyJ Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2023
    Options

Trying to get the screenshots from my ps5 but this is happening to me non-stop. I don't want to be dramatic but the game is literally unplayable right now which sucks, because I just got really into it. Hopefully a fix comes soon....

Edit: Just tried again and nope, got booted. Haven't been able to play for three straight days.

Edit 2: Now I can't even get into a game before I get booted for the same error, super lame. 4 days now

Post edited by DaFunkyJ on
  • trivexi
    trivexi Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

i occasionally have this issue but the last two days have been impossible, im up to a 6 hour penalty because it keeps happening and now im unable to play. i play on pc (ive noticed most ppl in this thread are on ps4 or ps5) so idk what thats about, i cant enjoy this game anymore when im scared of randomly disconnecting and then not being able to play for literal hours because theres no way to tell the difference between an error and a purposeful disconnect, now i cant play the game for 6 hours because they cant fix something.

• chesnoodle
    Options

Still happening at least once a day. Just tried to grab an invitation and my game froze then received “Dedicated server is not responding disconnecting…” error with a 15 minute penalty. The least BHVR could do is remove DC penalties for the event, I know someone who keeps receiving 24 hour penalties due to this error.

• unhappytrail
    unhappytrail Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2023
    Options

ive had this error for months and i feel like i've tried everything. first it was once every few days now my game is completely unplayable. the only way i've been able to play is from an entirely new account.

Post edited by unhappytrail on
  • EasternSpock
    Options

Just going to keep sharing clips at this point. Really hope we get some news about this after the weekend because I'm pretty disappointed and irritated that our ability to play during the anniversary event is hindered. Instead of continuing to play I just have to log off for the day to avoid higher penalties.

• karlacade
    karlacade Member Posts: 17
    Options

I got one of these against Wesker, and I'm on Windows 10, playing on Steam. It's only happened once to me, thankfully, but it's still annoying.

• haleysolace
    haleysolace Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
    Options

I play on my PC through steam. I have had Dead By Daylight for about 2 years and just recently I started getting kicked from 2-3 games everyday. I have gotten 30 min penalties for something that's not my fault. There is no problem with my internet, the install, or any of my pc parts. I uninstalled the game to see if it would fix it and it did for like 2 days then I started framing making the game unplayable yet again. I uninstalled and re-installed. Got the same problem with disconnections.

• tylera97
    tylera97 Applicant Posts: 2
    edited June 2023
    Options

I play on PC/Windows 11 (Steam and Epic) and from US East. I've had this error for months. (around the time of the Skull Merchant release is when it became a constant occurrence). This happens on both survivor and killer, and has happened both towards the beginning and end of matches.

After the disconnect, I'm immediately allowed to jump into another lobby granted I don't have a penalty. I don't have to restart my game and I'm not shown any signs of this being a connection issue from my end. However, I'm receiving egregious penalties making the game unplayable.

Ive tried every troubleshooting step provided by Behavior's website. At a 24 hour penalty I decided to contact support because it was happening almost every game. Support insisted it was on my end, and I was told nothing could be done about the disconnect penalty.

The error can also occur in custom lobbies against bots. This is a good way to see if you're still disconnecting because you don't get the penalty. I played two hours of killer against bots and was disconnected twice towards the end of the game, granted the bots lived that long. I also ran around 10 games where I went completely AFK. I didn't disconnect during any of these besides one where I was Pinhead, who can interact with the bots even while AFK. (No idea if this is relevant but I thought I would mention it.)

I feel so left out of the events and new chapters. I hope this can be fixed before the anniversary ends.

https://ibb.co/D9T2CLs

• unhappytrail
    unhappytrail Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2023
    Options

got the error my first match of the day. hit with a 5 minute penalty. please fix this behavior so i can get event items

Post edited by unhappytrail on
  • c0gnu5
    c0gnu5 Member Posts: 70
    Options

second match in a row today, all disconnected ~5 minutes into the match

• RyceBodd
    RyceBodd Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

This is making me lose my mind.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,487
    Options

Someone else just reported the same issue and received the response:

"Declined · Last Updated 8:14PM

This looks like a technical issue, if you still require assistance please ask other forum users in the Ask the Community sub section as we do not offer technical support on this forum."

• Esterhause
    Esterhause Member Posts: 40
    Options

Just had this today too, ps5

So frustrating, 1 gen left, I'm killer for a change, 1 on death hook, another just hit down, about to pick them up, disconnected from dedicated server 😡

Just turned it off

• haleysolace
    haleysolace Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
    Options

I reached out to behavior and got a support ticket, after 11 days I have received nothing. Absolutely zero information on what is being done to solve the problem. Just got kicked from 2 games, first one I had an hour ban. Second one I'm now banned for 6 hours. I cant even explain how frustrating this is to any who hasn't expeirenced it.

• EasternSpock
    Options

Ridiculous that this is still going on. I've been unable to enjoy the event with this continually happening. It happened several times last week and I opted to take a break to avoid lengthening penalties. Decided to hop on for some matches today and of course I just end up disappointed once again. Feels like by the time this is fixed I'm just gonna be completely done with even trying.

• chesnoodle
    Options

Still happening to me every day. Even if it isn’t me that is disconnected there is at least one player that is disconnected from almost every match.

• EasternSpock
    Options

Sucks so much to have this happen in an intense match where all players are giving their all and it's a close game. Also sucks that I lose items and de-pip because of it on top of the penalties and wasted time. I just want to be able to play the game. I don't even know if anyone at BHVR cares about this issue. I just don't get how they can ignore it / blame the players when it happens to so many people even if the frequency seems to vary from person to person. How is it acceptable that anyone has this experience with their game? So disappointing as someone who is a fan and is invested in the game / community.

• etms51
    etms51 Member Posts: 603
    Options

same problem with europe server with pc, during a match, the server isn't available and disconnected all.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,660
    edited July 2023
    Options

Had this happen twice in the past couple hours on EGS. My internet had 0 downtime. One of the matches there was a streamer on the survivor team and I checked their stream, happened to them too. Their stream remained up the entire time

• tomura
    tomura Member Posts: 6
    Options

This happened to me too, twice in two days. Checked and my connection was fine, with no drops.

• emberyon
    emberyon Member Posts: 1
    Options

this has been happening to me for months but has now happened over 10 times last few days. I'm done with this game as BHVR loves gaslighting it's players making them think it's their internet and not bad servers. It's happened one match then I stop playing until the next day and then the very first match the next day it happens again.

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 326
    Options

Happened again on Toba. My teammates and I's ping were spiking above 100ms then DC'd from this.