Is it time to nerf Windows of Opportunity?

Options
124»

Comments

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251
    Options

Some stats from BHVR would be nice about the pickrate in low / mid / and high mmr.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

The issue of your first survivor making a chase last long isn't WoO's fault. If you start chasing a competent survivor you'll have the same issue regardless exactly because it's the start of the game.

That's the purpose of a perk you know, to help you with something that sometimes you might not know off. it's why we also have perks like No where to Hide? Killer brings it so they don't have to waste time trying to find a survivor and committing their precious time. WoO should be useful for solo-ers. Why should they be even weaker and not be able to have any info from their teammates at all? If Bond were to become a top 10 used perk and survivors healed each other more efficiently with its helped, had better flashlight saves and kept the killer away from teammates working on gens, would we start to see complaints about it too? Cause killer would be unable to capitalize on stupid game design that forces you to play as a team but refuses to give you basekit tools to do that?

Same can be said about Lethal Pursuer though. Killer can guess the spawns but since it's RNG is related, by bringing that perk he has the perfect opportunity to start chases with more than one survivor if they're in the same area and disrupt gens being done in the same area, which arguably is a great advantage for killer (otherwise the 2 strongest killers wouldn't run such a perk)

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

Oh, you're right my bad. Dunno why I thought he wasn't. Maybe I just tuned out all the yellow. Idk.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,663
    Options

As the video you were referencing as a showcase of how to play without WoO literally has Hens using WoO for optimal pathing (it's the exact reason WoO was chosen for these 1v1s), calling out stuff like window spawns before seeing them, etc, I'm curious if your opinion on the perk has changed.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,663
    Options

@Kaitsja

You did watch the video you referred me to, right?

It showed WoO at the end of every round.

Bond is already in the top 10 or something - but I can't really address whataboutisms and fictitious scenarios.

Lethal Pursuer is definitely strong, I'll agree, but again, the topic is WoO.

I play the game at what I can assume is mid or mid-high MMR on both sides using very low tier killers on the killer side - I use and go against WoO constantly.

I know WoO is good.

The video I was referred to also highlights a few instances where WoO provides crucial information - There's a reason WoO was used in said experiment as it makes optimal looping/pathing/chaining easier.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon or anything - I've said this about WoO for a very long time.

• ChristinePi
    ChristinePi Member Posts: 3
    Options

I might be biased since I used windows 95% of the time.. but that's because my memory is shot. I also get lost really easily as I have no sense of direction. Indoor maps are my enemy even with windows.. I'm always getting turned around lol.

I do not think it needs a nerf. Sure it helps survivors know where to go next.. but it doesn't teach you how to properly loop. More often than not I see people who use windows just throw pallets down and move onto the next one without trying to loop it. That is a benefit for the killers because then the rest of the survivors have less resources against the killer.

There is also a decent perk that always annoys me when a killer is using it lol, fear monger. It's a great counter to windows, kindred, made for this, and others.

At most this perk makes great survivors amazing and mediocre survivors okay. So I still strongly believe it only is really beneficial with the survivors who know how to loop and don't just go from pallet to pallet dropping it instantly. Otherwise it can be a plus for killers.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

Windows is a good perk, but it's not problematic. There's no reason to nerf it other than because it's popular.

• Hex_Maidenless
    Hex_Maidenless Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2023
    Options

I genuinely don't understand the love for this perk. I find it makes my screen very cluttered and makes it harder for me to focus. If anything I find running it a detriment.

If people want to waste a perk slot on a perk that does, effectively, nothing, good. If people find it useful, good.

It's not even on my radar of potential issues. I don't personally like it, but some people do and perks are allowed to be useful. "Nerf everything until nothing is good" isn't a design philosophy that interests me.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

I did, and while I admit that I was wrong about the video I still stand by the opinion that, while the perk is strong, it is by no means overpowered or in need of a nerf. I've had some time to watch more experienced players using the perk to run loops, and it's only further highlighted just how badly designed maps are in general.

Map knowledge, at least in regards to the older realms (Azarov's, Coldwind, Swamp, MacMillan's), is still the closest thing to WoO, and while it may not be perfect, people would still be making M1 killers miserable, which seems to be the basis for the complaints surrounding WoO.

Does it provide perfect information? Yes. Does that information turn people into god loopers? Hardly. If anything it encourages "Holding W", which is a complaint I've heard on here that I don't fully understand.

If your issue with Windows is simply that it provides perfect information, then I've got nothing, because it does.