Comments

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,933
    Options
  • Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,743
    edited November 2023
    Options

i am pretty sure there is hook on staircase as you enter the top floor on the map to do that 3rd floor generator. you do not need drop down to hook survivor. I do not think it is good boil over map. I remember map being dense with hooks. that map has favored gen spread in center where exit gates located. it is pretty hard to not run into teammate that work on generators on that map regardless of aura's. gen spread favours the killer if you ignore east side of the map with 2nd floor. the loop are killer favored if survivor runs them incorrectly but they are survivor favored if survivor knows how to pre-drop correctly and rotate loops in correct direction with proper distancing. you need to know as killer which pallets to break when they are looped correctly and what loops to not break when they are not looped correctly. The more knowledge survivor has on how to loop, the more survivor favored the loops become.

no those loops are infinite's. there is specific way to loop them such that if you pre-drop them when killer is 12 meter or further away, you can loop them clock-wise and killer going around loop will not catch-up. they end up being bloodlust 3 infinities.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,280
    Options

Yeah i am happy to see the map back too but compared to the recently updated maps it definitely feels outdated unfortunately. Distance between pallet loops is very short and loops have very tall obstacles making ranged killers hard.

I still enjoy playing on it though, glad it's back, but i would like to see a gameplay pass on it some point next year.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,695
    Options
  • Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,065
    edited November 2023
    Options

I might have considered one long ago, but I wondered if it would be worth it or if I was walking into the biggest FOMO scheme of the decade. Now, they have me right where they want me.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 879
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hawkins is a very well-designed map and I couldn't be more glad it's back. As an indoor map, it generally favours killers. It is no coincidence that indoor maps (including even Gideon, with its dozens of god pallets) have always been at the top of the kill rate charts. Generators take a long time to find, pallet locations are not readily identifiable, orientation and planning chases ahead doesn't come naturally at all, killer (and fellow survivor) movements difficult or downright impossible to read, being caught out of position is a regular occurrence, equalling free hits.

While there are a lot of pallets on the map, survivors have to play and combine them in rather unintuitive ways, otherwise most of them are not very valuable at all, with many being 50/50s at best or even guaranteed hits (if the killer plays it competently). In general the map really requires survivors to get creative, it's just that it does offer a lot of potential for creativity and can yield really powerful (and fun/funny) interactions between its structures if played well.

I think that even committing to chases is perfectly worthwhile here, especially given the average level of survivors one will encounter. The map oozes outplay potential, all the more so if we start factoring in killer powers. However, if you want to play the map optimally (if your goal is to kill as many survivors as possible as consistently as possible and you don't necessarily care about how engaging and interactive the path to get there is), you should employ a hit-and-run playstyle. On indoor maps, this is usually the correct winning strategy even if your build or killer may not otherwise complement it. Chase survivors until you get a hit or a pallet or two out of them and leave them again to try and catch out other survivors. What's so good about this is that on indoor maps you will regularly catch survivors out of position, getting free hits, which means free downs if they're already injured. Other survivors you engage will also not know which pallets have been used, which on top of the fact that they can't see through walls (unless they have Windows Of Opportunity) means that even if you don't catch them out of position intitally, they will often still die quickly because they run into a room without a pallet. Regularly changing targets will also make survivors on gens much more cautious and scared to just sit on them, wasting a ton of time as they will often be leaving gens when you are anywhere near them, or running circles around the map trying to get healed because they are scared to pressure gens injured (and rightfully so). You just create a lot of chaos and can cause mayhem if you don't go for the regular gameplay loop of committing to chases. And if you are a stealth killer, indoor maps favour you heavily because all of this is doubly true.

I really think Hawkins is the best indoor map and have always had a blast playing it on both sides, in terms of both its macro and micro dynamics (with certain exceptions, naturally). I haven't been this excited for a map in a long time, and I'm happy that BHVR seems to have changed nothing about it from how it used to be.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,879
    Options

I'm sure they'll fix it over time. For now - dare I say it - I am more than happy to let this slide, because the chapter return far exceeds any map adjustments. I'm gonna bathe in the joy this chapter gives me upon its return for now.

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    Options

I estimated it would take about 12 hours before people started complaining about Hawkins.

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 938
    Options

I missed hawkins because of moments like this. Glad it's back.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,878
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hawkins was always the best indoor map. So glad it's back.

Adding (or bringing back) another indoor/killer sided map is a massive boon the the game. Now there's three of them! Slowly creeping towards the number of outdoor/survivor sided maps only about 30 more to go!

(Btw, there are more killers than Billy and Blight, and to the 5 Singularity players, I'm sorry)

• SimpleSage
    SimpleSage Member Posts: 89
    Options

People act like you can't criticize new and returning things lmao. It's the best time to complain about issues because everyone is looking at it, if you wait too long it just gets swept under the rug for months if not years.

Anyway, absolutely agree that the map should have been retouched before releasing it. I didn't play when ST was first here so this is a completely new map for me and let me tell you as survivor it's definitely something, the indoor syndrome I get from the map is crazy.

It takes all the less favorable qualities from all the other indoor maps and rolls them all into one.

The Second and Third floor have the confusing maze like layout similar to RPD, especially RPD - West Wing. Both of these floors have quite a few empty rooms and dead ends.

The First Floor is like Lery's/Midwch but worse. Its the maze of hallways that all look the same with tons of blocked doors and a few random rooms that make you stop and look at them and think, "What is going on in here?" . Unlike Lery's that has the giant signs, in different colors that you can use to orient yourself if you get lost and even find gens, I didn't see anything obvious that said "Gen this way" or "You're by (insert room with discernible feature here, like the portal room)." This meant I spent ages running up and down halls that looked exactly like each other.

And then put Gideon Pallets and Borgo/Red Forest clutter in a blender, add some Hawkins flavoring and blend until fine. Then dust the map like you're sprinkling powered sugar on a waffle to finish the map off and make it cluttered. There is so much clutter TMC could film their next episode of Hoarders on the map.

It 100% needs some love, they don't need to go crazy and do a full rework, but give it a touch up for sure.

Reduce some of the clutter, add some sort of signage that is visible to help navigation and a visual cue to gen locations, and honestly it would probably improve a lot. And maybe brighten some areas of the map just a little, I had an Onryo match yesterday, and half the tvs are so so easy to walk right by because they blend in soo well.

• mca240
    mca240 Member Posts: 456
    Options

This is actually good feedback! I hope the developers read it. I played some survivor today and yes, I forgot how disorientating this map could be with the closed doors and everything looking the same.