How do you define winning in dbd?

I would think for survivor, winning would be escaping. For killer it's different. Is it 2 kills? 3 or 4? Do we go by the emblem system?

For me either escaping or helping the majority of my team escape. For killer I think 3k is winning.

Just wondering what the line is between winning and losing.

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Whatever the in-game rules says regarding declaring winners and losers.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

2k and a pip is a win for me. 3ks and 4ks for me means I dominated >:D

• Sackboy123
    Sackboy123 Member Posts: 466

As long as I get a pip, that's all that matters to me

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

Pipping.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

For me its keeping all my teammates alive, if 2 die I count it as a loss

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Just give me my pips.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

"The in-game rules are very fuzzy, hence the question."

That's exactly my point/problem.

I'd call that vague in the same way that I would call "To win a game of golf, you need to hit the golf ball into the hole" vague.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

I play the Martyr when it comes to my friends, keeping them alive by rushing for saves in the most dire conditions. If they walk out alive, its a win in my book.

getting all 5 totems myself is also fun, successfully being chased as objectives are being done is pretty cool too

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    edited August 2019

I mean, sure, that does lay out a victory condition. I'm not trying to argue that. But that's just on paper.

In practice, we've all seen the kind of subjective player-by-player approach that I have described, and the actual game mechanics (by which I mostly mean the ranking system and the emblems) do not always back that up. You can accomplish exactly what is laid out in the screenshot you posted, but the emblem system communicates that you didn't actually win.

I know this is a lopsided analogy, but any professional sport, or chess, or even other competitive video games like Street Fighter have very clear win/loss states that cannot be readily disputed by pointing to a wonky rule that contradicts victory, and players can't just make up their own win conditions and ignore the parts they don't care about. You can't go "I win because I took both your knights, I don't really care about kings."

• Kenshin
    Kenshin Member Posts: 912

escaping as survivor and at least a 3k as killer

• justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711

As killer 2+ kills, depends. Often 3 kills.

As survivors multiple things: escaping myself against a really good killer with ######### team mates, or beeing the martyr so all my other team mates can escape. Sometimes it's also having 3+ head on stuns. Or outplaying and pissing off a killer to the point where he gets so butthurt about dominating him on mindgames that he facecamps me for the whole 2 minutes.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Fun. That ties into my next question. How do you have fun? Fun i would say is tied to winning and i think the biggest problem between survivors and killers is that both sides can't win together so for the most part, they can't both be having fun.

I've heard that the killer determines whether the survivors have a good time. Even heard people say it's one of the killers jobs to make sure that survivors have fun. But im pretty sure the only way to ensure that survivors are happy is for the killer to not win or have fun.

As a killer, still relatively new and pretty much a yellow ranked killer, although i could be green if i could not go up against red and purple ranked players more often than not, i find the survivors dictate my enjoyment level a pretty good bit.

Especially when im chasing someone and they vault a window and tbag. Or drop a pallet and tbag. Or spin in circles as i break a pallet before running. Amd basically point and emote in hopes of making me chase them so everyone else has an easy game. Im sure that survivor is having fun. Im not. I don't tunnel purposely, i go after the unhooker, and i dont camp unless its the end and ive gotten my ass kicked and im frustrated. But still im inundated with stupid messages calling me names or to 'git gud 2 ez' when im 7 ranks lower.

Just wondering is it even possible outside of kill your friends for both sides to have fun?

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

I feel like a winner every time I get hate messages.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Winning is a statistic. It only exists on paper. The victory condition on paper is the victory condition. Period.

The ranking system is not one of the game mechanics (since it exists outside gameplay) and also isn't used to signify winning.

Pips mean that you rank up and ONLY mean that you rank up.

• Rydog
    edited August 2019

Would you make this same argument to, say, professional tennis players, or chess leagues, or those who play ranked online matches in League of Legends or Street Fighter V? All of those games have a ranking system that is meant to reflect players' wins and losses, and place them in ranks and brackets that are appropriate to their skill.

Again, I know that this is not a perfect 1:1 comparison, but you cannot say that the ranking system isn't a game mechanic in Dead by Daylight, or that players don't bear it in mind as they decide their course of action in a match. The ranking system is not always an accurate reflection of what a player accomplished in the game (as far as the win/loss state that the game's tutorial provides to the player). It leaves room for subjective "Did I win?" interpretation that those other examples do not; if that were not the case, then this thread would not exist.

And, if I were playing a League of Legends match, but my only goal was to, like, finish a certain item build, I would not be able to claim (even in my own mind) that I won if my base got destroyed. In DBD, I can die and rank up, which feels like a (very counter-intuitive) victory to me.

• NuclearBurrito

Yes I would make the same argument. If somehow in league you were to rank up in-spite of your base being destroyed then you still lost.

Rank/Emblems is just one of the games progression system. It isn't part of the actual gameplay and can be ignored when talking about balance.

Win-conditions are also not a mechanic, but are the basis for all of balance. When you say something is better than something else in a game it is achieving the wincon which the thing is better AT.

In anycase, while most games do use wins or loses to determine movement along ranks. Not all games do that. For example Overwatch's ranking system is not determined by wins despite it's competitive focus.

• NuclearBurrito

Game mechanics are the things you do in gameplay. So menues are not game mechanics and progression systems are not game mechanics (Usually. Sometimes there is mid-match progression and that qualifies as a game mechanic).

They are the pieces that make up the gameplay loop and are what you are literally doing on a moment to moment basis as well as the statistics surrounding those actions.

• Rydog

Show me one discussion where a Street Fighter or chess player ponders what might constitute the definition of winning or losing in their game of choice.

It's vague in practice, because the ranking system is not consistent with actions that a player would intuitively categorize as "win" or "loss." Overwatch may be an outlier as well, but that game definitively gives each team a "Victory" and "Defeat" screen at the end of every match. It isn't vague in the least.

You're getting semantic about what constitutes a game mechanic, or not. Call it bad UX, if we don't agree on the former terminology. Whatever it is, it's what creates the kind of subjective wiggle room that leads to threads like this.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,312

While I personally feel happy with a match if it was fun/exciting and especially if I got a lot of points, I recognize that's not a very quantifiable metric at all. Some have fun feeling like they spooked people as mirror Myers, some have fun by doing stuff that'd be considered "toxic" by a lot of people. It's too subjective.

If I had to pick a more "objective" thing to define as a win it would be something in the realm of 2-3 kills as killer, similar to what gave killers a pip when that was what the "killer cube" measured.

As survivor the obvious choice is escaping as an individual, beyond that I don't have any "hard" definitions at all.

• TheRoyalRob
    TheRoyalRob Member Posts: 13

As long as you had fun...you're always a winner.

• NuclearBurrito

Confusion means that the game doesn't present the wincon well. That doesn't mean the wincon is subjective.

• NuclearBurrito

The people that say having fun is winning are flat out wrong.

• FluorescentLemon
    FluorescentLemon Member Posts: 257

As a Killer I win if I get at least 2 kills

As a Survivor, I win if I escape regardless of whether or not my teammates make it.

• TheRoyalRob
    TheRoyalRob Member Posts: 13

Tell that to my perfect streak of games from the moment I launched my first game to today. I had fun every time!

• Rydog
    edited August 2019

I agree with you 100%, but I think the way that players are scored contributes heavily to that confusion.

Presentation, as you would point out, is not a game mechanic -- but it's still key for reinforcing things like whether a player won or lost. If the way that players are rewarded for their actions (via emblems and Bloodpoints) were applied more consistently according to whether they won or not, we would not have this kind of confusion.

EDIT: Also, if there were monthly rank-based incentive rewards like normal games have (Hearthstone etc.), it would leave far less grey area for players to wonder if they are playing correctly/winning (the "I don't care about rank" people).

• BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526

For me personally as a killer if I kill two survivors and two escape it's a draw game. Three kills is a win, and 4 is a huge victory. I don't really go by pips, as I can go full meme and use Infinite tier 3 Tombstone Myers, kill all 4 survivors and then de-pip.

As for survivor, it depends really on the individual. If you are focused on the team, 3 escaping is a win. If you are just focused on you, obviously you surviving counts as the win, regardless of what happens with the other survivors.

Basically the magic number for me is 3, 3 survivors escaping = win for survivors, 3 survivors killed = win for the killer.

Though it won't stop some salty survivor from saying you got outplayed and how garbage you are despite you killing 3 of them, them included and the other guy only escaped through the hatch with a key. lol

• NuclearBurrito

Was I not clear?

Win conditions are vital to a game. Just pretending the wincon is something it isn't just undermines all of balance, prediction, skill ect.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

In order of "feeling like I won"

4k v skilled survs

3k w/ dc for hatch (but feeling robbed of 4k)

3k w/ hatch (but feeling salty)

4k w/ dc or death by 1-hook (survs robbed of a good match)

4k v unskilled survs (thanks matchmaking)

Don't DC v skilled survs/swf using overpowered combinations of items, addons, and perks.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Winning is just not losing backwards.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    edited August 2019

For me it's if i pipped, survivors have a weird one where they can die and gain a pip but killers have to play "nice" is the only way i can describe it. I like long matches anyway but survivors rushing there objective will pip if they escape but killers with black pip if they play "mean" it's a weird thing I've noticed.

Kills dont mean much to me but i think hooks and chases should score heavier than they do now, or they should change gatekeeper cause you're only 1 person as killer you can only chase 1 at a time. :/

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

This sounds so lame but FUN! Did I have FUN? Did the survivors get a FAIR game? Did I get a decent amount of bps?

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

Survivor: escape

Killer: kill 3 or 4 survivors

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

Can have fun even when you lost.

It's called sportsmanship.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943

sportsmanship-fair and generous behavior or treatment of others, especially in a sports contest.

You can have great sportsmanship and still not have fun if you lose. When i play killer and have a bad game I'll say gg when the match is over but it still sucked.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

For winning I think if it's I get 2+ kills or 2+ escapes. Pipping should not be considered winning imo because it's a match making tool and nothing more. It's very inaccurate and you get no rewards for it. Then you look at the definition of winning by getting more than 2 kills or escapes and it's easy to tell that this is more likely to be considered a "win" because you get rewarded for it as well.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

One of the things I deal with design-side is the emblems. So I have a tendency to focus on my total emblem score.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

"Show me one discussion where a Street Fighter or chess player ponders what might constitute the definition of winning or losing in their game of choice."

I have had people tell me that my SF victories are not "valid." I like to win by 1 pixel of health when the time runs out by playing defensively.

That's not the same thing, I know. But it does show that even in a game with very clear win conditions that a some players still don't accept them. :)

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Having fun=winning in my book, right @NuclearBurrito?