Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Iv'e been DDOS'ed. Where can i report it?

Options

So i just played a game as ghostface. Nothing unusal until i had an opportunity to slugg everyone. And proceded to pick a p3 claud up and then my mouse and keyboard stopped reacting, this went one for a while until everyone disconnected and my pc froze/crashed, after several minutes when it unfroze my wifi was a mess. And all the signs and evidence leads me to believe this was a DDOS attack from a really, REALLY salty player. This has happened to me once before aswell and the timing i cannot believe that it is a coincidence. so i have three questions.

Was this really a DDOS attack?

Where can i report this?

And since im not sure wich of the 4 survivors it was (most likely the claud since she was the trigger) Is it even worth reporting at all. Im not a tech genius so i can't like track the ip address or whatever to find out where it came from.

Best Answer

Answers

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

You aren't likely to have been DDOSed, and you'd be reporting this to police rather than BHVR. DDOS attacks are considered a federal crime if you live in the United States. You can contact your ISP or access the logs in your router to see if there was an issue.

It's more likely that a routing node experienced an issue, rather than any targeted attack, if it was the connection at all. Your PC freezing or crashing after the mouse and keyboard stopped working sounds like it was closer to your CPU crashing from the spaghetti code of this game trying to render things incorrectly - this used to happen if people used flashlight macros, and can still happen if you just have the wrong graphics card.

• Karltastisk
    Karltastisk Member Posts: 529
    Options

I was hit by something called "DNS server amplification attack" this attack fits the description of my experience and the aftermath of the attack. So i have no doubt anymore that i was DDoS'ed.

I live in Norway so im not sure how to report this. Tried looking it up but only get news articels and foreign sites. I've experienced DBD crashing before, but never like this (except one time which i also believe was an attack). And my internett is above excellent so that the crash affecting my router and DNS servers is highly unlikely. And as i said the timing was just too perfect for it to be a coincidence. pluss the above statement.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

I find it unlikely that you specifically were hit with DDoS or DAA. Hitting a singular computer with something like that is a bit of a tough sell. Also you're the killer so you're the host and would never take in more traffic than your sending out to the other players. Hence why killers tend to be able to manipulate the game state by manipulating the latency. Since you experienced such a hard lock up and crash I'd be more inclined to say your rig and network just experienced a chain of failures. There could have been a moment where your isp or the backbone server experienced an unnaturally high volume of traffic.

Even then I wouldn't automatically attribute it to an attack as there have been drastic increases in net traffic with the release of WoW Classic which is worldwide release.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,384
    Options

That doesn't sound like a DDoS attack. Typically you would just lose connection, your computer wouldn't lock up. Since you're the killer, even if you're losing connection, you have authority over the survivors. You would still be able to move around, pick people up and even hook them up until the point where you lose connection.

In any case, if you were to get hit with a DDoS attack, you would likely have to report that to the police (double check for what the procedure is where you live first) if you're serious about. I would suggest contacting your ISP first though, since you'll want to be sure before going that route.

• Karltastisk
    Karltastisk Member Posts: 529
    Options

I think im just going to let this one pass, if it happens again i'll digg abit more into it and maybe get me a vpn or something to protect my ip address, when it happened i could still move around until i picked a survivor up then she kept wiggling put couldn't drop her or hook her. Then they all dced and i got frozen in the endscreen for a few minutes until my entire wifi got fricked up.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

I only know about DDoS happening in CoD and R6

• jeridan
    jeridan Member Posts: 77
    Options

You play killer on wifi, shame on you.