Is Jake gay? (Tome spoilers)

I read Jake’s tome lore, and thought it was really good. However, I can’t tell if they intended for us to think he might be gay, or if I’m reading into too much. The quotes that got me thinking were:

”Jake… please… you are expecting a straight thing, and no straight thing has ever been made.”

“And yet his father’s advice did nothing to improve his sense of otherness in relation to the stories and curriculum he was subjected to on an almost daily basis. He still felt like an outsider for lacking interest in the literature and history he was expected to read and memorize as truths undeniable. Seemed like there was a big chunk of perspective missing from the overall narrative being poured into him like concrete that made him feel like he didn’t belong.”

“Maybe the challenge of your generation is… representation. You gotta get your stories out there whether you’re a writer, historian, filmmaker or producer. Seems to me a lot of kids like you in the new country need to hear your story or stories like yours to know they aren’t alone. To know they belong and that they aren’t outsiders in their own home.”

What do you think? Perhaps I’m overthinking but it does seem like gay subtext.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.