Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Boon totems aren’t OP

GannTM
GannTM Member Posts: 10,866
edited November 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I will admit that they are strong but I just don’t think they’re OP. I actually really like the gameplay around boons as it requires setup preparation and the survivor has to go out of their way to activate the perk. It’s also a new gameplay element which spices it up. Killers can also hear boons and it takes them just a second to break it. You will probably say that the survivor can put it back easily but they still have to spend time doing it.

I’ve felt like at least COH has a chance to be meta because of its nature in helping the whole team out which I’m honestly very glad to see because we need more variety in the meta. Maybe COH can be toned down a little where it decreases self healing speed but I think it’s honestly fine.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• GannTM

The boon snuffing is a problem but I don’t think it’s a design issue, it seems to be more of a hitbox issue. Hopefully they fix that because it can be annoying.

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633

I dont know i never gone out of my way to bless a totem. I spawn i have a totem 5 meter away of me with a gen its easy setup for me and my team. My teamate get 6 perk each that huge for them all that for a 14 second action that cant be remove from the game unless i die yeah this seems fair

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069

It will make them balanced. Currently u can abuse it and farm Altruism. With my change u need to think twice before setting up boons.

Game should be skill vs skill, not perk vs killer.

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806

I'm definitely in favor of survivors' boons going on cooldown after they get snuffed. I wouldn't make it 120 seconds though; more like 60, because time spent blessing isn't time spent on gens. Snuffling a boon totem should definitely be more rewarding for the killer, but I wouldn't want to make the cooldown so long that survivors are encouraged to gen rush instead.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

I dislike them simply for the style of gameplay they create. It's the, 'Take a hit and zoom to my safe space.' it's boring to constantly either have to drop chase to go cleanse their boon, or give up chase completely. I've had multiple matches where the match went on for 30 minutes because survivors would gen rush the first 4 gens, and then 3 gen themselves in an area with no totems. So they'd all try to come touch a gen, I'd smack them, they'd immediately run to their safe zone, heal real quick, then come back just to rinse and repeat. It's very boring.

Boons also are an indirect nerf to killers. Most people don't look at the indirect affects that buffs to the other side can make.

Most killers rely on snowballing and controlling the game through pressure once they've started snowballing. It's usually their only win condition. Boons break that snowball in the way mentioned above. I either have to drop pressure and not chase this person into their zone, or drop chase to break their boon, allowing the survivors to reset and go back to smashing gens. The only other option is continuing chase in that area, and having a very high chance of losing that survivor due to buggy sounds or no sounds at all if they're running iron will. At that point they still have their boon, the killer has lost any momentum they had, and the time it took to chase, and this was all down with very little skill involved.

It takes any control of pace that a killer might have had during the match, and gives it back to the survivors.

Because before, survivors were in control of the pace of the match, how fast gens got done, how long chases could last, things like that. But once a survivor made a mistake, the killer could punish that mistake and take control. Once you hooked that first survivor you could intercept the one coming for the save, start a chase with them and then a different survivor would have to stop doing gens to go get the save. And that's how you would start controlling the pace of the game by continuing to apply that pressure. And if you failed to keep the pressure up, and the survivors could reset, you've pretty much lost the game because now you have to start over.

With boons, they can interrupt that initial snowball and any chance you had at controlling the pace of the match. That's why it's unfun for killers right now, why so many complain and so many stopped playing. All almost all control has been given to survivors unless you run specific perks to deal with them. So they're either forced to run the same perks every match, or get steamrolled by the survivors. Shits boring af.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Yes, CoH gives 4 survivors "Self-care" and "We'll make it". A single perk has 8 perks effect.

• Psycho_
    Psycho_ Member Posts: 360

so boons replace hex totems, you dont get it back when you snuff a boon... you cant break boons or totems in general and they have unlimited uses... seems balanced to me. ######### it.

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    edited November 2021

And survivors are suprised they see more tunneling...

That what happens when they use perk that is hard counter to hit&run and force commit on every chase.

• Psycho_
    Psycho_ Member Posts: 360

most logical thing anyone can say about the issue.

here my problem which goes along with that, if you aren't playing someone with good map pressure you kind of have to camp someone. you aren't applying any pressure by injuring. which means you see nothing but the same 3-4 killers or you camp the last person/lose in general.

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    edited November 2021

Yeah, I kinda like Trickster, he is really good at camping.

I don't like Bubba, because survivors often don't even try to save...

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I kinda agree but mostly don't. I do think people are HEAVILY exaggerating when they say it's op, but I do think it's strong. Not to the point where I think it should be reworked but definitely nerfed. How It should be nerfed I don't know. Maybe they can make it so killer's can't snuff but rather destroy totems.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I mean.. it is different. Before you call me a killer main, I am one but I do think that NOED is not a very fair perk, but you can't really bring the do bones argument for boons cause they can come back a literal infinite amount of times. Of course unrealistic but It is possible, Even old undying couldn't do that.

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854
    edited November 2021

Dropping a chase to snuff a boon = 1 minute lost. It's not because you need 3 seconds to snuff it that you have only lost 3 seconds. You have lost a chase, if it was a 50 seconds chase you basically lost 50 seconds...

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Oh come on, not this again. Killers tunnel regardless. Everytime when something on the Killers side is nerfed or when Survivors get something good (which happened exactly once since David King was released before Boons and was MoM) Killers go "Thats why we tunnel" or "Killers will have to tunnel more".

If you want to tunnel, do so, but dont claim you do it because of Boon-Perks. Killers always tunnel, but stretch themselves a lot to find a justification for it.

This would make them super-weak. You would have to buff their effects to insane levels to justify it. Or, make it that the Killer needs more times to snuff it and can be interrupted. Both does not sound good to me.

@Topic:

I totally agree. Shadowstep is also not used anymore from what I have seen, it was only a thing while Circle of Healing was disabled (probably to test out the new mechanic or for the achievement where you have to bless Hexes). Boons are strong, and I have to admit, strong enough to let Survivors change their builds.

But this is good and I would also not say that they are OP. I dont see them often, but when I see them, I always think that if they are nerfed, this person will just replace it with another Meta-Perk and it would be the same build as always. I also did not have any problem to play against them, the only thing what happened was that I had to cleanse 1 Shadow-Step mid-chase, because it was messing me up. A better Killer probably would not have needed that, but this is the only time where I thought it was a bit annoying.

The only change somewhat needed is that Boons only affect the Trial on a horizontal basis, not vertically. E.g. if you have a Boon on the upper floor of The Game that only the upper floor benefits from it and not the lower floor. Because their range is technically doubled on multi-floor Maps or it makes it uncomfortable to snuff out for the Killer on Maps like Asylum if you bless a Totem in the Main Building.

But this is the only thing I would change.

• R2k
    R2k Member Posts: 1,069

They currently give u infinite medkits and 4 much stronger self cares in one slot. Only 1 slot per team and so big value.

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571

blame your fellow bubba killers, its pretty much assumed that every bubba will camp, so bubbas can expect to be gen rushed. unless of course they don't care and just want to ruin a player's game lmao

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

They aren't OP at all. I'm even seeing a lot of survivors switching back to their old meta perks. Killers really have no reason to complain.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Ok let me summarize all the issues and counter arguments I have seen in this post and others similar to this one.......AHEM....

"Boons are OP They need to be nerfed."

I personally don't think that Boons on their own but when used with other perks or items they become OP. For example Shadow Step combined with Iron Will makes it very difficult to find anyone if you lose line of sight for too long. CoH is just OP with any Medkit or perk that also increases healing speed.

So Boons don't need to be nerfed just adjusted to make them more balanced, one thing that could easily fix it is....

A. Making Boon perks have a set amount of tokens for example CoH will have 3 tokens at the start of the match and Shadow Step have 3 tokens at the start of the Map.

B. Boons can have a time limit that they can stay active on any single Totem.....for example Boons stay active on totems for 120s before going out.

C. Only one Boon can be active on a single Totem at a time.

Just these three simple ideas could help balance Boons that are out now and the 16 or so new ones that are supposed to come out.

"Boons are weaker than Hexs so their not OP"

This statement is wrong on so many levels....

1. If Boons are weaker than Hexs, then why do they snuff out Hexs by just blessing them and if they can snuff them out why don't Hexs come back after the blessing is gone since Hexs are so much more powerful than Boons.

2. Once Hexs are gone they cant be relit, unlike Booms which can be relit or moved to another totem when ever the survivor wants to move it.

"Oh Killers just need to do bones because Boons are easy to see and hear."

Killers cant "Do Bones" because Killers cant destroy totems like survivors can....all they can do is snuff them out and hope the survivors don't want to re bless it. Also as It has been said above Killers don't have time on their side, from the start of the match they have to find survivors try to knock them down and hook them.....from my experience with the current state of the game 1-2 gens will be completed before your first hook. So Killers don't have time to waste searching around for Blue Totems to Snuff out.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

when killers snuff the totem than that totem should be destroyed.

• IronKnight55

I feel like this could make them bad. They'd need some other buffs.

• IronKnight55

Not really... The killer can snuff the totem in like 1 or 2 seconds and it's pretty loud as well (not to mention it takes a lot of time to set it up as survivor). It would definitely need some other buffs somewhere.

• Nathan13

thats where we disagree. They’re already too strong.

• YuisPinkBob
    YuisPinkBob Member Posts: 353

Finally someone who agrees with me. I strongly believe that boons are not overpowered and are really fun to play with/against. The time wasted by survivors putting them into the game reduces generator progress, plus they are really easy to find and remove as killer. So I'd say they're pretty strong but fair.

As for the meta comment, I also agree. I like that there may be some variety in the meta now. It'll make matches more varied and interesting.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

I'm fine with boons but totems need to break if they have been snuffed. Boon totem reach overpowered status when they are placed in spots that well hidden and strong looping spots, basically in zones with multiple floors or indoor maps (have fun dealing with that one totem that is hidden in a box)

• SasukeKun
    SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858
  • IronKnight55
    edited November 2021

I completely disagree. It's almost not even worth the time it takes setting these things up because of fast they are to destroy and super easy to hear. You're usually better off spending that time on a gen.

• mynameisBlade
    mynameisBlade Member Posts: 325

The problem is they are not worth wasting the time JUST to "temporarily delay" the Boon. Let Killers DESTROY the damn Totems.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

If you want to shake up the meta, you need perks stronger than everything else. A healing meta would be nice for a change

• Nathan13

unless you're on in indoor map where it's super difficult for killers to find the totem. Like it's such a waste of time so I don't even bother so I just tunnel out that survivor.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

They need to be 1 time use. And not be spammed. That or bring back old undying it would only be fair.

• GannTM

Damn I guess it’s wrong of me to have an opinion. I’m sorry for not pleasing you by being completely bias towards killer.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

I think everyone is beginning to realize boon totems aren't game breaking. Especially now that boon totems are getting seen less and less and meta perks are popping back up in survivor builds.

It was basically "Lucky Break" all over again. Luckily Killers have cried wolf one to many times and the Developers actually kept an eye on them instead of insta-nerfing them like they did "Lucky Break".