The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

A discussion about D-Strike - Do you like the change?

Comments

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    Dustin said:

@Condorloco_26 said:

@Dustin said:

I thought DS expired after 60 seconds or did I misread. It won't be available after first hook?

It doesn't say it expires after 60 seconds of your first hook. I think they must clarify this

Yeah that's my mistake I misread it. The perk only becomes active for 60 seconds after being unhooked and during the active time you can activate it and then the one time use is over.

Does the timer pause while being picked up though because I can see some unfortunate circumstances where it expires mid ds.

The skill check appears immediately as the killer starts to pick you up, so it can't expire as you're being picked up. It works either be expired before they grab you or not.
  • Meliscool123
    Meliscool123 Member Posts: 1

If "Decisive Strike" gets a nerf. "No One Escape Death" should too.
    That my honest opinion.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290

@Peanits said:

The skill check appears immediately as the killer starts to pick you up, so it can't expire as you're being picked up. It works either be expired before they grab you or not.

That's pretty cool so I don't even need to be on the shoulder yet. So killer can't immediately pick someone up by hook and spam the hook button to ignore ds. Guess that really does get rid of dribbling too.

• Huntar
    Huntar Member Posts: 848

@scorpio said:
    I like everything except the obsession changing because for something like Dying Light if you already killed the obsession, are they alive now? I don’t understand how that will work. 

Yeah, this is my only worry. It would be a bit unpleasant if DL just suddenly became useless after someone hit you. You'd essentially have to tunnel everyone in a row to have it have anything but a negative effect, and what's the point then?

Very good change, just an unfortunate interaction with another perk if that's not locked down.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

What's with all these new accounts created to comment on this topic?

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I actually feel good about using it now, I don't have to feel like an ######### but instead defend myself from ######### players which is a real problem. Anyone know when this happens?

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    edited February 2019

Well well well.....

I have mixed thoughts. I've thought about it and to be fair It has its pros and cons.

This is how I view it from a killers perspective...

+ No longer can the killer get shafted on the first hook. This was vital as the first hook is the most important for the killer.

+ No more being afraid to carry a survivor to the basement.

+ Max stun time is down to 3 seconds

- It can't be dribbled anymore and the skill check area is larger. It's almost guaranteed to happen now if the requirements are met. So you potentially have 4 instant decisive strikes waiting to happen. This can be a problem if you wish to punish an altruistic team who are rushing unhooks to try and eat into the killers momentum. It also guarantees an escape out of the basement.

- If someone is unhooked next to the exit gates and you down them, you can't pick them up for 60 seconds. They are guaranteed a free escape which was the main problem with DS before. Theoretically this could also be done with Deliverance and the hatch, though that would require specific timing (unhooking as the second to last survivor is put on death hook, meaning if you find the hatch before 60 seconds the killer can't do anything). The deliverance situation is going to be very niche though so likely not an issue, however the unhook near exit gates could still be very problematic.

- Dying Light is exploitable now. You can 2 hook someone, someone else pulls off a DS and becomes the obsession and suddenly you're starting from scratch. (More on this below)

Now to view it from a survivors perspective.

+ Finally we have an answer to tunneling/camping. If the killer circles the hook to tunnel you can easily get a free escape

+ Dying Light is nerfed. Lets be honest it's a #########, toxic perk. Now if you get tunnel there is a chance someone else could become the obsession and the killer might switch focus.

I think overall I would be for these changes IF it couldn't be activated when the exits were open. It once again has the potential to be a free escape. Rancor may help with the obsession but if the person hasn't used DS yet then they won't be the obsession so you won't be able to kill them. On top of that I feel like 60 seconds is overkill. If the killer is going to tunnel they're going to do it long before that. I feel like 20/30/40 seconds would be better. That way it still counters tunneling but doesn't punish the killer for as long. Killers normally tunnel and hit the survivor within 20 seconds or so, depending on how far they were from the hook in the first place.

Overrall though I'm very eager to try it out. What we had before was a nightmare so lets see how this goes. I have to admit, survivors needed some tunnel protection. We will see if this is overkill or not though.

Some questions for the developers...

1) Does Enduring still shorten the stun duration?

2) How does this affect Rancor? say I use Rancor to kill the obsession, then someone pulls DS on me after, can I down them and kill them too now that they're the new obsession? or is Rancor a 1 time use?

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

@Meliscool123 said:
    That my honest opinion.

I mean, before you had a shorter overall cooldown for attacks too. It's been soft nerfed already.

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 944

@Meliscool123 said:
    That my honest opinion.

you know you just need to break the dull totems right?

and if finding them is too hard for you just use the perk small game.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    This ruins the flavor of my Overweight Survivor build idea.  Therefore, I hate it.
  • browalker15
    browalker15 Member Posts: 93
    I think the perk should last longer than 60 seconds 90-100 seconds. It would make it more viable. Having the obsession change is right now i think unnecessary and it will be confusing as hell, and what if they only have one more life? So much for remember me or going after them if you have rancor. I think its a good change, but i think some new things can be changed as well.
  • TAG
    In all seriousness, it's an interesting idea.  I'll have to see how it plays out before I cast judgement.  Two question, though:

1) If a Survivor doesn't attempt the Skill Check, does that disable DS, or can they save it for their last hook?
    2) How would it interact with Dying Light?
  • Tarvesh
    Tarvesh Member Posts: 765
    I’m curious how this will effect perks like Dying Light. What happens if you’ve already killed the obsession? 

Do you get to kill the new obsession and double the debut or does the debut gonaway till you kill the NEW obsession?

What about things like Play With Your Food? Or ones that stack when you hit yournibsession? Do the stacks go away when a new survivor becomes the obsession, or do they stay and you can get even more stacks?
  • TAG
    edited February 2019
    Peanits said:
    I like it but I'm a little biased. This was actually an idea that came from a discussion here, so I'm really happy to see it making its way into the game.
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to said discussion, would you?  Just for curiosity's sake.
  • twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited February 2019
    A few points.

It does promote not tunnelling so you dont risk the DS happening.

You can slug any unhooked player for 60 seconds so they cant use it, this could result in a lot more slugging for everyone in theory.

What about Mori's? will they more used since it makes sure DS can never work?

How about Dying light? if you find your obsession should you camp them more now? will the change of obsession reset that perk? if it does then those killers will definately want to camp, bring a Mori or slug as its non beneficial to go after another and then let them become your obsession.

PWYF may also need changed as you want to then lose the person who just DS'd you?

I would like to know if the other obsession perks are being looked at with this change?

Needing to be hooked first is always good and promoting non tunnelling also as it means they can look at the gen rush/more objectives seriously now and prolong a match.

I am still on the fence about it actually being good or bad change atm leaning towards bad as that can affect those players who dont/never run something with more camping, slugging or Mori's make it a less fun overall experience.

If you want it to be an anti tunnelling perk that is fine but you should let the killer know someone has it when its activated, not knowing makes DS actually stronger, If they then make a few changes I think it would be better, if the killer runs any obsession perk they can chose so it only changes if they tick the box on it (give them a choice?), the 60s timer only depletes until you get hit so slugging doesnt work, once the exit gates are powered you have to struggle 50% to get your DS if a killer drops the survivor it auto activates no skill check needed.

Personally I would have prefered it to have been changed to a new perk, I never liked the idea of it allowing an escape from the killers grasp, and at least with the original format a killer would know and hurt the ones who ran it directly.

Post edited by twistedmonkey on
  • The_Crusader

@Tarvesh said:
    I’m curious how this will effect perks like Dying Light. What happens if you’ve already killed the obsession? 

Do you get to kill the new obsession and double the debut or does the debut gonaway till you kill the NEW obsession?

What about things like Play With Your Food? Or ones that stack when you hit yournibsession? Do the stacks go away when a new survivor becomes the obsession, or do they stay and you can get even more stacks?

Yeah and I've asked about Rancor too, does it have the potential to kill multiple survivors?

These are good questions. If rancor works multiple I might bring that perk a lot more often.

• TAG
    Interaction I thought of:

Judith's Journal + Tombstone Piece (or I guess Judith's Tombstone).

If someone uses Decisive Strike, they become the Obsession.  Then Myers gets super accelerated stalking from Judith's Journal, presumably hits EW3 Myers quickly, and goes for the insta-kill.
  • Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864

I think it's okay but I don't like the mechanic where your obsession can change mid-game. From how I understand it you don't become the obsession until you use d-strike so that would hurt killer's obsession perks a lot if that's how it works.

Hopefully it means no obsession unless DS is used hahaha
  • The_Crusader

@Paddy4583 said:
    AjaxGunterson said:

I think it's okay but I don't like the mechanic where your obsession can change mid-game. From how I understand it you don't become the obsession until you use d-strike so that would hurt killer's obsession perks a lot if that's how it works.

Imagine loading into a game and NOT hearing that sound.

• Doomspooge
    Doomspooge Member Posts: 184

I think this is going to promote early game tunneling to get it out of the way. Looking at it from both sides as a survivor if I can save it till end game then it's a free escape if the gates are open pretty much. From the killer side if you want to avoid those end game escapes then you wanna tunnel early and force them to use it asap. Hit or miss it's gone so if it works the way I read it then tunneling would work way better than slug I think.

• TAG
    Paddy4583 said:

I imagine that it does nothing as far as affecting how other Obsession perks choose the Obsession.  What it will do, however, is change the Obsession mid-match.  For most perks, it's easy enough to understand the implications of that.  This does beg the question as to how Dying Light and Rancor would be affected.
  • Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I like the changes, The only thing I don't like is the obsession changing throughout the match I can see how that would get confusing.

• TAG
    Tarvesh said:
    PWYF and STBFL have hard caps on the number of tokens you get from them.  There is no reason to assume that changing the Obsession mid-match would suddenly change the number of tokens you can hold or the number of tokens you currently have.
  • fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

I quite like the change. It feels more fair for it to have prerequisites and to have a time limit, too. That way you won't have killers afraid to pick up an obsession because they may have DS and you won't get those hidden DSs throwing off your pressure.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@The_Crusader said:

Wait...

In some games, there is a noise at the start of the match and in others, there is none. Does it indicate that there is an obsession?

I have 1.3k hours btw...

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@not_Queen said:
    Our Community team is currently gathering all the questions and feedback on the upcoming DS changes. We will reach out to the Designers to bring you answers shortly. (hopefully tomorrow)

I have a question.

Are you planning to create a PTB for DS change? and if you do, is it the only change we are gonna get or will there be other changes for other perks like a midchapter etc.?

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

I like the perk change, it counters tunneling and it forces the killer to go for someone else, by this time you go for someone again the perk will be worthless. I don't really use the perk too much except when i want to be toxic after facing so many legions, but i mean we'll just have to see how it turns out.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

I'm confused about one thing. Every time someone uses DS do they become the obsession? So more than one person could become the obsession or only the first one becomes the obsession? I'm only confused about that thing

• TAG
    LCGaster said:

I'm confused about one thing. Every time someone uses DS do they become the obsession? So more than one person could become the obsession or only the first one becomes the obsession? I'm only confused about that thing

Assuming I am understanding it correctly, if someone uses D-Strike, they become the Obsession, and whoever was the Obsession before is no longer the Obsession.
  • The_Crusader

@Delfador said:

@The_Crusader said:

Wait...

In some games, there is a noise at the start of the match and in others, there is none. Does it indicate that there is an obsession?

I have 1.3k hours btw...

Yes, that noise comes as the obsession rings/entity legs appear around one of the survivor portraits in the bottom left.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737

The fact that most people don't seem to understand that they are buffing it and pretending to nerf it is honestly flabbergasting. I hope this change doesn't go through.

• MegsAreEvil
    MegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819

Great. Now killer will be rewarded for slugging. Give them more toxic behaviour. Camping and tunneling isnt enough. Cant understand these particular changes, though it had to be reworked.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    LiunUK said:

i think we are going to see more ds users now and slugging might see a big come back

Slugging never left it’s actually a growing problem, now made worse.
  • The_Crusader

@HeroLives said:
    LiunUK said:

i think we are going to see more ds users now and slugging might see a big come back

It's only a problem with Nurse and Billy mostly, but those 2 killers are their own conversation entirely.

The other killers simply aren't as effective at it and therefore don't tend to do it as much.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I think it's definitely different from other DS suggestions. Very "outside the box". I hope it has the intended result, because DS really needs to be gutted.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

As killer that utterly hates old DS I think this is amazing change. It's no longer get out of jail free card and insted it's anti-tunneling perk. Now it's the killer who choses if he wants to risk focusing on 1 survivor and potentially getting hit by DS insted of beiing forced into it.

Good job devs, changes like this rekindle my love for playing DBD.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985

@HeroLives said:
    LiunUK said:

It's only a problem with Nurse and Billy mostly, but those 2 killers are their own conversation entirely.

The other killers simply aren't as effective at it and therefore don't tend to do it as much.

I’ve been slugged a fairly sufficient amount regardless of killer. Don’t lie to me, I play this game almost everyday for atleast a few hourz.
  • RuneStarr
    RuneStarr Member Posts: 850
    edited February 2019

I'm like 80% okay with this.
    -It will be fun to run with deliverance now, if I want to be cheeky and unhook myself with the killer nearby.
    -Combats survivors biggest complaints (Camping/tunnelling)
    -Gets rid of the worst kind of DS (45/40/35% wiggle DS, just so much wasted time chasing, carrying and then unexpected DS)
    -Changes things up a bit with obsession perks/addons in general (Rancor giving multiple end game moris if it works like that, Bringing back a dead STBFL if the killer gets dstriked? Interaction with Judith's Journal addon)
    -Makes the perk less of a "free escape/crutch perk" and way more balanced. So I'll feel way less cheap when I choose to run it now.

Kind of think with this big of a change they should just make it an activate-able ability like Dead Hard instead of a skill check. It's already got it's downsides with the time limit/having to have been unhooked and making you the obsession thing, not many will run it anymore so the skill check just seems like it's there for the heck of it.

60 seconds seems short for the unhook. Its good against the big 2 complaints, but to make it a bit more useful I'd like to see it a big longer like 90-120.

The worst part about the change is the outrage spam by everyone though :lol:

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Enough about this ds nonsense WHERE IS THE MAILMAN(delivery) DWIGHT OUTFIT? i need it. I have the shards I'm just waiting...for this dream of mine.
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

Given it's limitations, I don't think the skill check should be difficult to succeed. It is definitely a massive nerf to DS.

• TAG
    More like Divisive Strike, mirite

• AshleyWB
    TAG said:
    More like Divisive Strike, mirite

Of course a pig said this.
  • James_phoenix
    James_phoenix Member Posts: 1
     PTM ! Noooooo ( cry in spanish)
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@AshleyWB said:
    Of course a pig said this.

Of course a default said this.

• yes
    yes Member Posts: 361

I love the changes, it actually makes Unbreakable a better perk than DS unless the killer has a mori.

Quick question, what's the green perk icon in the background? Windows of Opportunity? Autodidact? Or a new perk?

• AshleyWB
    Orion said BLAHHHHHHH *whacks* @AshleyWB
    I may be a default but at least I don't go around wheezing and whining after I go someplace. Plus I don't get why you would wear a pillow on your head just to hide your ginger hair. We'll accept you onion nurse.
  • KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747
    To those complaining about unsafe hook rescues, note doing this you get to knock them down while they are at the hook. At most you'll have to dribble them.
This discussion has been closed.