EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• Alakad
    Alakad Member Posts: 30
    Options

For anyone that's getting "EAC client cannot be instantiated" even on Heroic Launcher:

• Open DBD's game page in Heroic Launcher -- NOT the Game Settings (Gear Icon) but click on the actual picture of the game
    • Click on the "Three Dots" menu icon in the top right
    • Click "Force Game Update If Available"
    • Wait for it to download and launch the game and it should work

If that still doesn't work, follow the steps again and instead click "Verify and Repair" in the last step. Occasionally my game will randomly give me that error when I launch and this has fixed it for me every single time.

• mattickus
    mattickus Member Posts: 2
    Options

I just set this up today and it works. I just a played a round as survivor and it was mostly smooth on high settings. I only had a few stutters hopping off of gens to loop the killer.

• mattickus
    mattickus Member Posts: 2
    Options

I set this up today and it works. I was able to play a match as survivor on high settings. It was surprisingly smooth with only a few stutters when hopping off of a gen to loop the killer.

• _ManlyMaid
    _ManlyMaid Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

DXVK_ASYNC reduced the stuttering for me by quite a bit.

• Nonolls
    Nonolls Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2022
    Options

I did everything in the above post, the first time I started the game everything worked perfectly.

Then I tried again several hours later (without having changed anything in the meantime) and now I can't open the game anymore I have the following error: The EAC client cannot be instantiated

EDIT : I did the "Force Game Update If Available" that Alakad explained above, and it works perfectly !

Thanks everyone!

Post edited by Nonolls on
  • Alphonse
    Alphonse Member Posts: 146
    Options

Please BHVR add support for dbd on steam

• ylem
    ylem Member Posts: 22
    Options

I thought it would launch, because, unlike the vast majority of time, it loaded nearly completely. Alas, still doesn't launch.

I tried on GE .42, GE .43 and on Experimental. GE kicks me out immediately, Experimental loads nearly entirely, but then crashes. I wonder if there's a compatibility layer which would load the game completely. I wonder if using something like cafe used by bottles could work.

• hotadposter
    hotadposter Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 10
    Options

Still waiting.....

• Sluggies
    Sluggies Member Posts: 6
    Options

So right now actually I can 'start' up the game and claim rewards, spend bloodpoints on GE .43. I'm running Kubuntu.

• ylem
    Options

Everyone can do that and is able to do so for a while now. This isn't playing, this topic is only about being able to get into a match which is true playing.

• aragami
    aragami Member Posts: 40
    Options
  • ylem
    Options

I tried custom with a friend and not even custom works. It loads in, but then kicks everyone out. Come on...

• Sluggies
    Sluggies Member Posts: 6
    Options
  • Moshquito
    Moshquito Member Posts: 9
    Options

To those who play on Deck with Heroic: what settings do you use? It runs almost flawless on my Deck, only the other survs and the killer are a bit stuttery, even i have constant 60 FPS. Are there any options in heroic to solve this? Seems like other players dont have this issue.

• hotadposter
    Options

Any update?

• jomarocasout
    jomarocasout Member Posts: 4
    Options

no nothing, waiting and update tha works in linux

• _ManlyMaid
    _ManlyMaid Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

I mean this is how its been for years. Either bhvr does not say anything - or they are like "Oh yeah we know of this problem". But nothing else happens. For now they do not need to change anything too much. The game sells. Its a business. No real competition. Maybe outlast trials changes that if it ever releases (great beta). However if they would just be more in contact with their players it could go alot better. Either officially support linux or don't. Just say sth at least for a change.

That being said: It has been working on epic now for quite some time. And with some tinkering its working very well for me. Not much input lag, no stuttering or anything. With Nvidia go for x11 and avoid gnome since it adds some input lag. Nobara KDE is a great one for beginners. Otherwise go for arch linux (different kernel and you get around the same performance.) But me saying anything or other people is not gonna change anything. So just another rant that does absolutely nothing. All we can do is just sit here.

• hotadposter
    Options

It worked on Thanksgiving on Steam Deck so they can make it happen. I don't want to jump through hoops to play it, guess I'll just stop playing it, buying DLCs for it and buy and play other games instead that work on Steam Deck.

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

+1000

I'm stopped playing dbd and buying some dlc, skins. Now I buy and play in other games

• Mach2
    Mach2 Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 49
    Options

BHVR still won't pop in here and say "Yo, this is what happened". Stadia sunset is THIS month, and BHVR has said nothing regarding the Steam Deck.

• PapaMikeyYT
    PapaMikeyYT Member Posts: 12
    Options

That blue wouldn't be there if it was working...

• Mach2
    edited January 2023
    Options

Until BHVR adds Steam Deck support, we’re stuck with this. Heroic is imperfect when it comes to DBD and stuttering is normal for DBD on heroic.

• Rokolell
    Rokolell Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2023
    Options

I wasted some time dumping the DbD logs from RAM. Doesn't look really promising though: EAC sends an auth ticket, then the game goes in the disconnected state and afterward receives some EAC commands.

So, maybe a race condition in EAC authorization?

• Mach2
    edited January 2023
    Options

I’ve been messaging and reaching out to anyone and everyone. BHVR won’t even give us the time of day to respond, and honestly it’s extremely frustrating being they’re so big on having an accessible game on any platform, they continue to neglect support for the Steam Deck.

• PapaMikeyYT
    PapaMikeyYT Member Posts: 12
    Options

anyone try the ptb?

• Pyc
    Options

bhvr enable and disable proton support without some update.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 527
    Options

At least you can do cross progression with Epic iirc. I just need to read up on how to do it...

• aragami
    edited January 2023
    Options

As far as I can tell the Steam version call the 'wine64' build of EAC which doesn't exist on the EAC servers, this could be the difference between the Steam and the Epic version, maybe the Epic one rely on a different build I don't know because I own the game on Steam only. If someone who have it can confirm this.

This surely isn't nothing new but maybe there is a way to make the Steam version use the Epic build of the eac?

Post edited by aragami on
  • Moshquito
    Moshquito Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi, i own both versions. If u tell me what to do, i can have a look at the build

• Rokolell
    Options

If you're able to play via Epic, the file content of drive_c/users/<USER>/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/83/loader.logwould be interesting.

• Tiixxel
    Tiixxel Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2023
    Options

It also tries to download the wine64 eac thing:

[2023.01.07-00.26.35] [Connection] Connecting to URL: https://download.eac-cdn.com/api/v1/games/83/client/wine64/download/?uuid=

it then fails and tries to download it again:

[2023.01.07-00.26.35] [Connection] Connect result: No error (0) Response Code: 200 Destination IP:
    [2023.01.07-00.26.35] HTTP Response Code: 200 Curl Code: 0
    [2023.01.07-00.26.35] Falling back to a secondary CDN path.
    [2023.01.07-00.26.35] [Connection] Connecting to URL: https://download-alt.easyanticheat.net/api/v1/games/83/client/wine64/download/?uuid=

that then once again fails and the log ends there:

[2023.01.07-00.26.35] [Connection] Connect result: No error (0) Response Code: 200 Destination IP:
    [2023.01.07-00.26.35] HTTP Response Code: 200 Curl Code: 0
    [2023.01.07-00.26.35] [EAC Callback] Code 915. Message: 'HTTP Response Code: 200 Curl Code: 0'.

download progress stays at 0%

HOWEVER

there is a file at the same location as the "83" folder called:

gamelauncher.log

which ends with the following lines:

[Info] [LauncherFinished] EACAsyncResult: 0 Message: 'Easy Anti-Cheat successfully loaded in-game'.
    [Info] Unloading the EasyAntiCheat library.
    [Info] Destroying windows.
    [Info] Exit.

both files appear to have been written to by eac at the same time:

loader.log           00:26:35
    gamelauncher.log     00:26:38

Yet I have no idea why it says it failed to download the wine64 eac thing but then still successfully loads eac?

• aragami
    Options

This looks exactly the same as with the Steam version: 2 log files, download at 0 then fallback to https://download-alt.easyanticheat.net/api/v1/games/83/client/wine64/download/?uuid={different id}

• Pyc
    Options

guys, we have no eac error! we disconnect from dbd server in lobby, error 500

when we have eac error, we cant open game

• Mach2
    Options

I believe BHVR added a server side block. Otherwise what else could it be

• Pyc
    Options

+1, I think this is server side validate

• Rokolell
    Options

Yeah, it's just confusing how the EpicGames version works, but Steam doesn't.

• Pyc
    Options

maybe steam+proton recognized as steam deck and bhvr want annonce steam deck in the future? idk...

• aragami
    Options

You guys are all right, but why does the epic version works and the Steam one doesn't? Cannot be just a server side block otherwise it wouldn't work for Epic too. I may be wrong since I'm far from being an expert tho

The answer could be some differences between these two, maybe it's just a library mismatch or a difference in how the executable from Steam works compared to that of Epic.

I don't know if this have any relevance or is it just an expected result since I don't have the knowledge to analyze a dll/so compiled library but I found this, maybe someone could investigate even more:

(I used the same command for every file you see here)

user@pc:~$ strings '.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Dead by Daylight/DeadByDaylight.exe' | grep Easy

This give the following results:

- DeadByDaylight.exe

Unloading the EasyAntiCheat library.
    Outdated EasyAntiCheat library, does not match with launcher's version.
    EasyAntiCheat Oy1
    EasyAntiCheat Oy0

- DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe :

../../../EasyAntiCheat/eac_server64.dll
    ../../../EasyAntiCheat/easyanticheat_x64.dll

- EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll :

Easy Anti-Cheat successfully loaded in-game
    User-Agent: EasyAntiCheat-Client/1.0
    EasyAntiCheat\Cache\
    EasyAntiCheat successfully initialized
    Error validating EasyAntiCheat code signing certificate.
    EasyAntiCheatPreRelease
    EasyAntiCheat_x64.pdb
    EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll
    EasyAntiCheat Oy1
    EasyAntiCheat Oy0

- easyanticheat_x64.so :

EasyAntiCheat\Cache\
    Easy Anti-Cheat/1.0.0
    EasyAntiCheat Client

If someone with the Epic version could try the same to see if there are any differences would be cool.

• Pyc
    Options

heroic official client or not official? mb heroic recognized as win (not as steam linux + proton)?

but I know at 100%: we can't play because bhvr doesn't want it

• Tiixxel
    Tiixxel Member Posts: 25
    Options
    • DeadByDaylight.exe:
    Unloading the EasyAntiCheat library.
    Outdated EasyAntiCheat library, does not match with launcher's version.
    EasyAntiCheat Oy1
    EasyAntiCheat Oy0

• DeadByDaylight-EGS-Shipping:
    ../../../EasyAntiCheat/eac_server64.dll
    ../../../EasyAntiCheat/easyanticheat_x64.dll

• EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll:
    Easy Anti-Cheat successfully loaded in-game
    EasyAntiCheat\Cache\
    Error validating EasyAntiCheat code signing certificate.
    EasyAntiCheatPreRelease
    EasyAntiCheat_x64.pdb
    EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll
    EasyAntiCheat Oy1
    EasyAntiCheat Oy0

• easyanticheat_x64.so:
    EasyAntiCheat\Cache\
    Easy Anti-Cheat/1.0.0
    EasyAntiCheat Client

Nope, nothing different...

• Rokolell
    edited January 2023
    Options

It would be more useful to get logs in the Epic version from ram to compare them to Steam, but it's really annoying to do, and I also don't have the epic version, so I can't do it anyway.

Plus, the content isn't really helpful either. So in the end, we can just wait...

• Mach2
    Options

I think there’s a chance that Heroic is able to trick the game into thinking you’re on a true PC, whereas Steam knows you’re on a Steam Deck. Of course nothing certain and I very well could be grasping at straws, but in my mind it’s what makes sense..

• Rokolell
    Options

Heroic isn't faking anything.

The biggest difference between the Epic and Steam version is the game executable and the Steam client, so it's either a bug with Steam itself or deliberate blocking of the steam version on the servers.

• psikobare
    psikobare Member Posts: 1
    Options

It could perfectly be server-side. When you connect to a server, you announce yourself along many metadata, one of them is probably the client you use. Someone at behaviour probably added a check to prevent people from joining because they feel it isn't ready yet. Just wait patiently for an anouncement.

• Juli0
    Juli0 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Epic Games also provides 2 different versions of their EAC Library, one for Games in the Epic Games Store and one for other Shop Platforms. I am also no expert, and I sadly don't have time to look into this subject. But that could be another reason I could think of.

• Mach2
    Options

Being it’s an error when connecting to the server I have reason to believe it is server sided. You can get into customs but after a while it times you out, so I just think they need to flip a switch on their end especially being it did work before.