I can’t believe Dead Hard got such a tiny nerf

Options
Coffeecrashing
Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,379
edited April 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

I can’t believe Dead Hard got such a tiny nerf.

Dead Hard has been the #1 complained about survivor perk for months, and the new nerf still allows survivors to easily get multiple uses per game.

How is this fair at all? All the good gen kicking regression perks got massive nerfs, but dead hard gets such a small nerf that I might still need to suffer through it every game?

Comments

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,453
    Options

I don't think it's a tiny nerf, it's definitely impactful.

It can no longer be used in a first chase which is where it's most effective, killer needs a hook asap to start getting pressure.

And now the maximum amount of times it can be used is 2. Also executioner can just cage everyone and then it will never activate.

I still feel like it will be used and will be frustrating at times but it's definitely weaker, i would not completely disregard it. Maybe it needs more but we can wait and see.

• Jarky
    Jarky Member Posts: 587
    Options

When playing killer, we'll now know that at least the first two chases you have will not have a Dead Hard in them (assuming you don't choose to go back to the hook and tunnel).

You'll also know, if you keep track, which survivors could potentially have it or not. This is a good nerf for now - we'll see how it goes, but knowing that your first couple of chases do not have a Dead Hard in them is good for killer - as that first chase is good for creating pressure.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 884
    edited April 2023
    Options

Considering that a successful Dead Hard isn't even guaranteed, this perk definitely got nerfed hard. I mean, before you could sometimes use it more than once before getting downed (if the killer left you for someone else), or you could have it in first chase, allowing 3 gens to pop sometimes.

Besides that, you shouldn't get dead-harded consistently, if so it's a you-problem if you can't wait for it. The only time it can be guaranteed is on pallets, but even on vaults you can just wait for the animation to start and then hit them. It's not even a crazy good perk right now, after the nerf it will be worse than Sprintburst and Lithe. I mean, i could just take Off The Record instead, sure it does deactivate after touching gens/ healing but at least it saves me in deadzones, unlike dead hard. Also, making it kinda an anti-tunnel perk is great considering that this is one of the things most survivors complain about.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

Guess what, you were granted your wish. No reason to complain about it.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,387
    Options

sometimes not even with exposed lol. But some people might stay injured so.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Honestly, could not have said it better myself (since my response would just end up in a long-winded essay that no one will really read because it's too long).

Dead Hard cant be used in the first chase.

Very limited use compared to before (I think it should only apply on being unhooked, not when unhooking, but I digress).

Now acts like an anti-tunnel perk, when before it promoted tunneling (since it was tied to unhooking).

I also at least thing SH: Pain Resonance should just have a Unique Survivor effect similar to old BBQ, where you hook a different Survivor to gain benefits, just to avoid only having 4 usages of it is severely limiting, and 25% regression just is not worth it when I can just run Pop Goes. Plus I think it would be healthier if regression itself rewarded not tunneling.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,513
    Options

earned was probably the wrong choice of words there, I was thinking more of it being there when you really need it later in a match

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690
    Options

The thing is the the perk shouldn't see much play compared to current. The fact every fresh chase can't have the perk takes a lot of the power out of the perk. If you fresh everyone first then the perk literally can't get into play until you are getting your 5th chase. That seems like a heavy nerf when SB and lithe are right there in power.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Why is it fine for killer perks to absolutely get nerfed into the ground, but dead hard is ok with a smaller nerf because “it would be used less”?

With the killer perk nerfs, it wasn’t a “the perks are still good, but we’ll just see them less”. The killer perk nerfs were a “completely useless now and not worth using anymore”

• DudelPuma
    DudelPuma Member Posts: 329
    Options

tiny nerf ?? xD OFR gaves you 80sec BT, no aura reading, old iron will... meanwhile DH dont working everytime, you need to time it, the only one way to use it its with DS

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690
    Options

If all survivors are running the perk you wouldn't see it until chase 3 unless you hardcore are tunneling. If you are ignoring 1 guy and chasing 3 you still wouldn't see the perk until your 4th chase. That is a lot of power loss for survivor in the early game. I really disagree with it being a smaller nerf. Unless you are straight up tunneling the first player this change looks better than the one in PTB imo.

Also the PR change makes it much better early game and does nothing late. Really feels more like a shift in power while the power level of the perk stays the same. Kick perks needed to die.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    edited April 2023
    Options

I assumed this was satire... and my friend linked me the patch decisions.

DH needed more of a nerf. It's really that simple. It remains high risk high reward. It probably should only give 1.5 seconds of sprint burst or maybe just give endurance and no sprint burst.

• Emoba
    Emoba Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 514
    Options

Tiny? Did you actually bother reading the patch notes or is English not your forte?

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,118
    Options

BVHR is pretty survivor bias. so I was expecting DH to get a buff. It was just gut feeling.

generally speaking, BVHR tend to prioritize survivor fun above all else. The PTB was just really strange because its only time that I have ever witness changes that lower survivor's fun factor. the gen-kicking perks that encourage 3 gen gameplay is not fun for survivor. that is kinda why they are removing it.

• DBDVulture
    Options

The problem with this strategy about keeping 4/5 players happy is that almost nobody wants to play killer. This has been the rule rather than the exception for ~6 years.

They had hoped the 6.1 update would change things and the truth is that it just didn't. Before 6.1 we had people pinging the DBD server and found 45 killers in queue with 4500 survivors. That's a lot of survivors to keep happy but not many killers left who even bother to keep playing.

At the very least they could have made the rule : no more than 1 player gets DH from an unhook. If two people could get it from an unhook give it to the player that just got unhooked.

• Devil_hit11
    Options

At the very least they could have made the rule : no more than 1 player gets DH from an unhook. If two people could get it from an unhook give it to the player that just got unhooked.

For the update’s release, we have changed Dead Hard to instead activate when you are unhooked or unhook yourself. This way, the unhooked Survivor becomes less of a clear target for the Killer.

-----------

If both survivor has dead hard equipped, both dead hard are activated. honestly the idea that dead hard change encouraged tunneling was propaganda because a killer can hit a survivor to put them into deep wound which disables dead hard. The change does nothing prevent that, so expect people to keep doing that anyway. it was mostly propaganda to get dead hard buffed. It worked so I cannot argue with it.

Before 6.1 we had people pinging the DBD server and found 45 killers in queue with 4500 survivors. That's a lot of survivors to keep happy but not many killers left who even bother to keep playing.

I have heard about that. I am not entirely sure if that is true or not, but that is a problem. Killer not having fun playing dbd makes killers not want to play killer because the experience is unfun. As I said, Killer fun is generally almost completely ignored in dbd, I think that is mostly problem for high-end killer. Most of killer are balanced around low to mid-level meaning that their abilities are not particularly effective against very strong survivors. that makes killer not fun to play at high-level despite kill-statistics showing otherwise.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

I thought only the person being unhooked gets Dead Hard, it’s just an awkward wording, where “unhooking yourself” really just means “self unhook”?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,604
    Options

Exactly, does not even work with exposed. And some people might not get unhooked in first stage.

Even then, the Survivor cannot have DH in their first chase, which is already huge for the Killer. Because this means, before the Survivor can use DH, the Killer already had pressure because they got a Hook and forced Survivors into altruistic actions instead of sticking to Gens.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,604
    Options

You know, playing Survivor sometimes would help you a lot.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

How would that help me? I literally don’t have to change any of my survivor perk loadouts, because none of them got nerfs that are bad enough for me to care.

• Devil_hit11
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Post edited by Devil_hit11 on
  • DBDVulture
    Options

-"honestly the idea that dead hard change encouraged tunneling was propaganda because a killer can hit a survivor to put them into deep wound which disables dead hard."

It's not propaganda at all. I hard tunnel at 5 gens and I will always attempt to hit the unhooker and then re-chase the person that just got off the hook. The game is in a state that vs efficient players you have to "skip" the way the devs want you to play as killer to make your objective timer line up with the survivor objective.

-"I am not entirely sure if that is true or not, but that is a problem. Killer not having fun playing dbd makes killers not want to play"

Every day follows a very similar pattern with the BP bonuses. Survivor has a bonus around 6am when all the SWF are sleeping and survivor mains dip their toe into the killing pool.

Around 1-2pm the bonus usually flips to killer and stays that way until 10pm. Around 10pm a few survivors sometimes play killer and the bonus occasionally flips for like an hour and then it's a constant 100% until morning.

When I play killer I can't ever spend more than 1 web before I find a game. When I don't like a lobby I get a new one in seconds. As survivor you wait 2-3 minutes for a game and you take whatever the game gives you or you wait a long time.

The "third health state" problem would be easily fixed if they added one small tweak to DH.

"After you use it once you remain broken for the rest of the game."

That would make it actually be high risk/high reward. Or they could make the perk not give movement speed but still give endurance. Either would be "fine" and an equal treatment to what they did with eruption.

• Technature
    Technature Member Posts: 619
    edited April 2023
    Options

"tiny nerf"

I had no idea letting the killer get closer to winning as a base requirement for the perk was so minor.

What are you talking about?

• Technature
    Options

There's no way it's going to show up literally every single game.

You hit someone twice at most to trigger it.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Currently it’s usually only 3 times at most per survivor. This is getting changed to only 2 times at most per survivor.

That’s it. It’s so rare that I ever see someone use dead hard on me more than 3 times a match, because I’ll continue chasing someone that uses dead hard, so they usually only get one dead hard per health state.

• Technature
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm sorry that it's really easy to get you to swing at Dead Hard every single time and that you don't know when to abandon chase.

• FeryGEN
    FeryGEN Member Posts: 627
    Options

Hmm, deadhard will never be killed at all. No matter how much he gets nerfed, he will still stay in the meta.

I thought it would all end like this. It turns out the old tactic remains in place, stand near the hook and hit the survivor under the hook so that he does not receive DH and runs with a deep wound. We do not encourage tunneling.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,183
    Options

Yeah that is huge nerf as dh is at it most powerful in first chase. So with the change killers can get first downs potentially faster which are the most critical. Still one nerf for dh would be nice make survivors not be able to immediatelly drop pallets when activating it. Now the window is very small to get hit in between and if you're bit too far they can drop it before you can get the hit when you succesfully baited it out...

• Patchouli_Knowledge
    Patchouli_Knowledge Member Posts: 39
    Options

>you fresh everyone first then the perk literally can't get into play until you are getting your 5th chase.

By that time you have already lost.