Is it time to nerf Windows of Opportunity?

Options

Comments

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,576
    Options

I have never been a fan of this perk, but for all wrong reasons, it's such an eye sore and confusing to the eyes seeing yellow pallets, vaults etc as well as seeing team mates with bond and then survs been downed etc, It's too much yellow for me to deal with and can distract me from the game. But Mr Mushwin loves it so no nerf! lol

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 345
    Options

That's why I said we have to agree on whether or not Nightlight is or isn't fair game when it comes to asking for nerfs or buffs and if usage rate equals a balancing issue.

We can't have people just picking and choosing when Nightlight should or shouldn't be a reliable source to ask for buffs or nerfs while most people throw the devs under the bus because "Yeah, usage rate of this and that was high/low but this didn't deserve a nerf/buff. The devs clearly don't play their own game."

And that last part is probably the thing that bothers me the most. We can't trash talk about the devs if we're basing our own opinions on balancing on the same metrics.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,808
    Options

Yeah, WoO is only really useful to less experienced players. Better players already know the maps well enough (or should) to make the perk kinda pointless.

Great beginner perk, though.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,446
    Options

What I tell you about being honest and observant?

Gunna get you in trouble 😉😂

• DudelPuma
    DudelPuma Member Posts: 329
    Options

right! but in bhvrs world is: meta = nerf, or why they nerf as selfcare ? that perk was by far not good! but bhvr do it, Billy, some killers addons and and... they watch the stats (data) and thinking "that is pupolary, we should nerf it!" how ever dumb it is

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

I used to laugh at that suggestion because WoO is perfectly fine - as others have pointed out: knowing where resources are is only an advantage if you know how to use them. Safe for SoloQ where knowing where the dead zones are is essential for any form of survivability*.

But I've sorta changed my mind.

Because if WoO is nerfed then maybe people will start running an actual fourth perk (it's not that hard to remember pallets and windows once you know the tiles - and people will remember that rather quickly if the have to. Which they do without WoO). So yes, please do go ahead and nerf WoO.

*e.g. Bond is even better toward that end tho

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

What is the worse it can happen on online forums? I will be fine no worries miss piggy.

• spagz
    spagz Member Posts: 91
    Options

I have used windows only for challenges and to be honest it’s not that great. IMO it’s just a distraction sometimes, but like I said just my opinion

• Exarion
    Exarion Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2023
    Options

32m active FULL game with no requirements.

Should either have old cooldown or be reduced to around 20m.

Popularity argument so many people throw here is just laughable to be honest xD It's gonna get nerfed, jolt and other perks too will get nerfed.

All killers learn how to chase, survivors are not exception and have to learn how to loop without 32m legal wallhack.

Windows of opportunity nerf will only make game better, survivors will actually have to scout the map and remember where to take chase and if killer broke dozens of pallets he wasted enough time already and deserve some easier chases.

Post edited by Exarion on
  • Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    edited August 2023
    Options

Windows doesn't make someone good at looping. Most pallets are quite visible. I have poor memory, and even after the 1500 hours I've accumulated playing dbd I still can't remember the location of every single pallet, structure and totem on the map.

It also isn't the EZ Mode you make it out to be. Here's a scenario where a new player wouldn't understand how to use the information the perk is providing.

Map is (probably) Shelter Woods. There's a pallet between two rocks, and adjacent to it is a L-T wall. So the setup would look something a little like this L T ÷

Not exactly the best visual representation, but I'm on mobile so you'll have to use your imagination.

Post edited by Kaitsja on
  • Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,837
    Options

god forbids survivors to have good perks

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

the funny part... is that all the nerf suggestions would only hurt newer players.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Sure, nerf every surv who doesn't know the maps inside out. I'm sure that will help the disparity between low mmr being a kill fest and high mmr being a surv fest.

Full disclosure I am average to bad at chase, and I use windows in practically every build I run. It allows me to run a decent chase occasionally, but more often than not I still get downed pretty rapidly. If windows got removed or nuked from orbit "like most of bhvrs balancing nerfs end up doing" then I'd probably stop playing survivor and I'd definitely never touch solo q surv again.

It is a crutch perk for sure, but in my higher mmr killer games I actually see it very rarely. It helps a weak chase runner become average. And provides very little advantage for an experienced survivor beyond knowing which pallets are gone. Plus it has counters, plenty of them in fact, there are so many perks and addons that cause blindness.

Remember you need 4 times as many surv players as killer players. And this one is a bread and butter perk for survivors, not an OP I win button like everybody claimed DH was. Nerf it too hard and killrates will rocket way too high.

Like maybe decrease the range a little bit, perhaps 25-28 metres max. But much more than that and the perk becomes effectively useless.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675
    Options

I don't think it does, its a perk which whilst useful for almost every player (even the best looper ever does not know how the map spawned) it still drops off in usefulness as you go up. That said its a perk which even I just feel so much better to be using despite not using it much in the first place, so I can see why it is used.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

Yeah, lets nerf the perk that highlights the atrociously bad map design.

Instead of fixing the maps.

Good idea. Here's a cookie.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,998
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't need a nerf

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    Options

I wouldn't mind if it got the Visionary treatment.

While active, when you drop a pallet or make a vault, the perk goes on cooldown for 16 seconds.

You can still make a mental note of where everything is when you can see it, but it's not 100% uptime and so it has an element of 'skill' to it.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

That's what it was before it got changed to always be active, and guess what. No one ran it, and instead ran a dreaded second chance perk instead.

• Seraphor
    Options

Looking back at the history, it was 20m with a 40s cooldown, understandably crap.

32m with a 15s cooldown is much more manageable, you can still use it multiple times a chase. Sometimes the middle option really is the best.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

No one runs Visionary now because, well, it sucks. I actually had a thought the other day that it should just permanently show Gen auras.

• th3
    Options

Or perhaps not nerfing a perk which at its base requires skill expression. Bad survivors won't know what to do with their information, while a good survivor player still needs to capitalize on the information presented. All this nerf would do is sentence the perk to the usage rate of visionary (which is crap). Hot take imo but pick rates aren't everything when it comes to if a perk is a problem.

• Seraphor
    Options

No pick rates aren't everything.

The issue is the flawless chaining of pallet to pallet to pallet to pallet to pallet... with a flashlight blind at every single one.

15 seconds would require the survivor to make use of the advantage Windows offers them by actually extending the chase by those 15s in order to get it again.

• Alice_pbg
    Options

literally only affects weaker players. why would you wanna make the perk bad for them?

• th3
    Options

The issue of survivors chaining pallets together won't change at all even if windows were to be nerfed besides, if a survivor is chaining pallet to pallet to pallet to pallet to pallet that sounds like a skill issue, especially with the number of pallet pallets on maps recently.

I digress tho, any cooldown on windows will relegate it to visionary tier usage and everyone will just complain about the next "problematic" perk.

• Xxjwaynexx
    Xxjwaynexx Member Posts: 277
    Options

Why all the calls for windows nerf? I'm a killer main like that's plays killer 95% of time windows is not op in anyway. I can see how it might help newer players but most players and sweat squads already know the map and call out what pallets they drop so that a non factor. There no need for a cooldown or a nerf to windows at all like of all the issues with this game windows isnt one of them.

• HarlockTaliesin
    HarlockTaliesin Member Posts: 763
    Options

WoO and Lethal should both go. Play the game and do your job. Being led by the nose via perk is sad and does nothing to improve yourself.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,557
    Options

Windows is fine. I just fin it funny how most surivors with windows dont even look behind them and are just "locked" in a straight way. Thats when i go: " yep ... thats a windows - gamer".

I dont really like the autopilot - part of the perk. But i understand its place in the game. Maybe the perks information could be time based like lucky break and could be earned back in some way. In that way the survivor has limited time in chase to memorize the information give to them but is able to recharge the perk with enough time spend in chase.

• pizzavessel15
    pizzavessel15 Member Posts: 534
    Options

yes. mft should be nerfed first

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

Windows is a godsend perk for solos and consoleros. On PC you can just use low graphics and filters instead.

If you disagree tell me why.

• miniwengsel
    miniwengsel Member Posts: 376
    Options

no because newer players wouldnt have the perk or know about it

• Alice_pbg
    Options

you know newer players isn't just people who installed the game 5 min ago right?

• MeowMeow93
    MeowMeow93 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 60
    Options

Just return it to its first state when it was balanced

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298
    Options

What do you think is unbalanced about it in its current state specifically?

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 657
    Options

WoO is not a problem whatsoever... This is an essential perk to help new people learn how to loop imo..

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    edited August 2023
    Options

Windows is fine. There's no need to nerf it. If survivors are choosing to run it over other, more impactful, game-changing perks, that's a major W for killers.

It doesn't really help experienced survivors to chain pallets together, since most pallets are close enough together that you can see them and plan this anyway.

The real strength of WoO is to know which pallets have and haven't been used, because not everyone plays as a 4-man swf that's able to perfectly communicate their exact location, exactly which resources have been used, exactly where the killer is and which location they're heading towards.

TL;DR: WoO is fine, because not everyone plays like they're Team Eternal. Run Third Seal if you hate it so much.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,115
    Options

Killers being upset, again, that survivors can bring perks, I guess.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    Options

Yeah, F new players!

In all seriousness, the perk is fine. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it needs nerfed.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    Options

I agree. And even so, if you're a strong enough looper using the perk is overkill.

Also, I don't know about everybody else, but I'll gladly take 4 WoO users. That's 4 survivors who aren't using Unbreakable, Resilience, DH, DS, Plot Twist, Prove Thyself, etc.

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 643
    edited August 2023
    Options

Windows is for when you solo. Without it you often run to where you thought a pallet would be. Killer made someone else use it, and then pushed you there. It also shines mid-end game. You can find remaining pallets if you’re desperate.

Windows doesn’t need to be nerfed at all. Most killers have add ons that apply blindness whenever they do something. So they don’t consume a perk slot... When I play pig I apply Blindness to her Reverse Traps. Trapped survivors can’t see downed/hooked players, loops via windows, teammates via bond, etc.

• MeowMeow93
    MeowMeow93 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 60
    Options

It showed only one area and after it it had cool down which means you had to remember where were windows and pallets .Because a lot of survivor survive a lot only because of this perk because they already have a lot of info where to go .In the past when it was a cool down people were panicing and not knowing where is the window exactly and it was way balanced than now.

• Alice_pbg
    Options

newer players would be the only ones affected by this change since it does nothing for the experienced players that already have the info they need.

so... why make this change?