Is it time to nerf Windows of Opportunity?

Options

Comments

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

Yikes.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

experienced players take note by themselves about where they can run to if the killer comes.

the perk already gave them their info.

• KingDeathly
    KingDeathly Member Posts: 149
    Options

If my perk gets nerfed that's the day I find a new game to replace this one.

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118
    Options

I never use WoO because I think it's a waste of a perk slot. Therefore I vote it become basekit

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

It's really not. That might be why you run it, but I sincerely doubt a large number of killer players see it as enough of a problem they need to bring a perk to counter it.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,994
    Options

That's what I was going to say. If anything, people run it to counter sprint burst

• Kaitsja
    Options

I was under the same impression. That people run Fearmonger to counter Sprint Burst, rather than for the blindness effect. Tbh, I've had games where the killer was running Third Seal and it just got left until all the gens were done.

I always run WoO, and while blindness is a very minor invonvenience, it's not like it makes a huge difference to me either. It just lets me keep track of dead zones, rather than guiding me to pallets and loops.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,115
    Options

This is also something I feel a lot of killer complainers overlook when they argue for certain survivor perks to be nerfed. It's like they expect the slot that WoO took to stay empty once it gets nerfed, instead of being replaced with more generally useful perks.

'There will always be a Draco.'

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    Options

Exactly. And the same logic applies the other way too. If a killer is running an all chase build, say, that's every perk they're not using to kick/regress gens.

I do my fair share of silly complaining in irritating moments, but it seems like a lot of players just don't really think when they're making these arguments haha

• Kaitsja
    Options

Which they can do anyway, by 99ing their SB. The pallets don't magically cease to exist when somebody is afflicted with blindness. WoO isn't the autopilot perk people think it is when pallets spawn close enough together that you don't really need to think about where to go next.

The real strength of WoO is knowing which pallets are gone.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

yeah. but mindbreaker makes it easier.

does anyone actually run it?

• whickedchainsaw
    whickedchainsaw Member Posts: 107
    Options

10k hours and survivors still use this broken and busted perk. That says enough.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 324
    Options

This is what they should make it :

Start the trial with 3 tokens.

Once in chase with the killer the perk activates for 30 seconds.

Consumes a token.

After that is on cooldown for 60 seconds.

Once all 3 tokens are consumed , the perk deactivates for the remainder of the trial.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,337
    Options

My favorite thing about this community is is that every single time they complain about a perk and show a screenshot, it's at least a 3k or even a 4k, like this one.

You have every game you've ever played and you choose the screen shot where you trounced them. (And someone is running alert and technician here, c'mon).

If this is your evidence that Windows of opportunity is overpowered, you've completely missed the mark in making any point except the exact opposite.

• Kaitsja
    Options

No. That would effectively kill the perk and nobody would use it. If your basis for dumpstering a perk is that you don't like it, the problem is you.

Yes, actually. I see it fairly frequently.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298
    Options

I can’t tell if half the comments in this thread are serious or just trolling. Windows isn’t OP any more than basekit gen auras are for killers. Of all the perks I’ve seen people complain about making matches difficult for them, this one is probably the most ridiculous.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,366
    Options

No, it's time to nerf maps and pallet amounts and has been for a while.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

if y'all manage to get an info perk nerfed because you can't stand that survivors have anything useful it'll probably be my last straw lmao

• pizzavessel15
    pizzavessel15 Member Posts: 534
    Options

yes they should. they need to revert the window buff, nerf windows of opportunity, nerf mft, and make it so haste perks in general do not stack

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

"Obviously too good" my guy it only highlights stuff. Info is useless if you don't know what to do with it, and only newbies and solo q (who use it to know where their teammates dropped stuff) would suffer from a nerf. It's not going to make you catch anyone competent any faster, just get good :*

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,115
    Options

You'll be crying so much harder if WoO gets replaced in all those builds with perks that provide de facto benefits.

• IHSGames
    IHSGames Member Posts: 62
    Options

1: Having a high pickrate doesnt mean it's bad. Theres so many terrible survivor perks so of course, windows is going to have a high pick rate because its one of the few survivor perks where you can get value without having to throw your games to pull it off.

2: Ya'll need to stop asking to nerf something when there so so much counterplay in the game to it. Equipped blindness perks like Third Seal or Add-Ons You said WoO appears more often so you will get value majority of your games. Just because something exists you don't like doesn't mean it needs a nerf. Ast least some things such as Windows.

3: If it does get nerfed and survivors actually can loop while also having that final perk slot dedicated to another perk except windows, was it really windows that caused you to lose or is it a genuine skill issue?

4: "Survivors can go on autopilot" Survs shouldn't be on auto pilot if youre not even trying to mindgame. I understand some loops are strong and some maps have alot of pallets, but thats like 1/5 games where you see that. Survs only play on Autopilot if youre not even actively trying to control the chase yourself. Zone out survivors, force pallets to create deadzones, moonwalk, all mindgames that can help change the tide of a chase. Stop playing on Autopilot yourselves.

4: "Survivors can avoid deadzones" So you rely on survivors mistakes in order to win? You literally want a perk nerf because if they dont have it theres a chance of them going into a deadzone thus you benefiting from their mistake? You as the killer should actively be trying to get the survivor, not wait till they make a mistake. Thats a genuine skill issue too.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 392
    Options

My only complaint about WoO is that it highlights breakable walls, so many times I've run to a glowing yellow box only to discover at the last moment it's a breakable wall is embarrassingly infuriating. XD I also wish they'd town down how "bright" the aura is on certain maps because it makes it very hard to see, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.

The only other thing I will say is that WoO, much like Lightborn, Kindred/Bond and Deja Vu, it does teach bad habits after a while even if it is a mostly harmless perk. And by bad habits, I mean, it is easy for said perks to become a crutch and you don't learn how to properly play the game/it becomes impossible to play the game without the perks.

Other than that, I don't really have a problem with WoO, people can play with whatever perks they want, even if it is annoying to come across them frequently.

• Snowball777
    Snowball777 Member Posts: 143
    Options

It needs either a distance reduction or a cooldown, it is free wallhacks for every safety net across half of nearly ever map.

I don't think people understand just how crazy this perk is, it's the most used for a reason.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

You are imidiately contradicting yourself, thats funny.

EVERY match with FOUR survivors using WoO would be 100% pick rate. Yet on your NightLight Screenshot, its at "only" 33%. Sure it's picked way too often for my taste, but it's still far from your claim. So please, stay by the facts instead of hyperboling.

• Kaitsja
    Options

Or, hear me out, you could learn to counter the perk instead of clamoring for everything you dislike to be nerfed.

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987
    Options

What do you expect when all other survivor perks have been nerfed… Nerf windows and another perk will start to bother you guys even though it wasn’t an issue before…

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,663
    Options

People have been talking about Windows for quite some time - Seems most are just catching up.

It NEVER leaves my main build. I play primarily Solo - Windows legit carries me.

• Raccoon
    Options
  • skylustv
    skylustv Member Posts: 220
    Options

the perk is called ''windows of opportunity'' not ''pallets of opportunity'' so they should make only window auras avaible on this perk, just saying... lmao

• Kaitsja
    Options

If you haven't watched the Hens vs Otz 1v1 video, I recommend you do so. Hens didn't run WoO, but it still took Otz a minimum of 1:52 to get his first hit on Hens, and that was purely due to Hens making a mistake. Map was Garden of Pain.

You don't need WoO to know where pallets are on maps like Garden, Gideon, Ormond, Coldwind, Autohaven. On Gas Heaven, I know that there's a pallet inside the shop section of main, and another pallet in the garage section. I know there is a pallet either adjacent to the fuel bowsers, or over near the window. I know there's a pallet at killer shack.

On Ormond, I know there are three pallets inside main. A pallet by the snow tractor. A pallet on the balcony. A pallet between the rocks on the way to shack from the snow tractor. I don't know every pallet location, but I know enough to make it hell for the killer even without WoO.

The strength of Windows lies in the fact that you know which pallets have been used so you can avoid deadzones. I just don't get how y'all think Windows is a problem when pallet spawns are static enough that you never really need to question if it's there or not.

• Raccoon
    Options

It also shows you where the window spawns are without having to physically see them, SWF or not.

• Justa335i
    Justa335i Member Posts: 202
    Options

On killer I use Zanshin and on survivor I use WoO.

I don't see an issue. I'm trash and don't remember pallet spawns 🤣

• Raccoon
    Options

Nothing wrong with using any of the tools in the game >:3

• Kaitsja
    Options

Not that window spawns are particularly unpredictable either. People act like WoO is guiding people to pallets and vaults when anyone with sufficient map knowledge can do the same.

• Raccoon
    edited August 2023
    Options

Is there way to know a window is open without seeing it? I'd add it to my arsenal if you share.

It also guides me to pallets and vaults without thinking about the map at all.

If I'm the first person chased, the killer usually has to drop chase or loses a crazy amount of time and, often, the game.

If I'm not the first person chased, I get enough knowledge about what is used/remains in order to chain enough stuff together to burn a decent chunk of time.

People really like to downplay WoO when it provides PERFECT information. There's no guesswork, no wondering if there will be a pallet/open window - The information is 100% accurate and in your face at all times.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,158
    Options

Can you guess who's behind Kate?

• Raccoon
    Options

I dunno - Is it Meg waiting for the long fabled 'Sprint Burst' meta?

• Kaitsja
    Options

In my 1400 hours of playing, I've seen very few windows that change due to RNG. Ormond comes to mind with the vault into main (where the basement stairs would be) is blocked if basement spawned in shack. Not hugely impactful unless you're running balanced landing.

Excluding Windows that will either be open or closed, window locations are static and determined only by the type of tile that spawned. Jungle gyms will always have a window and a pallet, for instance while pallet gyms (Long C-shaped wall with a short I-shaped wall) will only contain a pallet.

As for pallets, they have fixed locations and will either spawn in one spot or in a different spot a very short distance away. Ormond's Balcony Pallet will either spawn on the outdoor stairs side, or it'll spawn on the indoor stairs side. Similarly, there'll either be a pallet between the couches next to basement in main, or it'll be near the fireplace. It'll never not spawn.

With enough knowledge of maps and tile spawns, you basically have WoO built-in. As I've said, the strength of the perk is not in knowing what spawned where. It's in knowing what resources you still have available. You can always change your loadout to counter it if it's giving you that much grief. It's an aura reading perk, and like all aura reading perks, it's affected by blindness.

• Raccoon
    Options

"Excluding Windows that will either be open or closed, window locations are static and determined only by the type of tile that spawned."

Windows does not give me grief - I use it in my main build.

I'll just bow out as the conversation is circular.

• Kaitsja
    Options

The conversation is circular because your smoking gun is a window that may or may not be closed, but hey, it's not like there's a billion pallets in the map or those infamous L-T Walls, or all those guaranteed long loops that are just pain for killers. General map knowledge gives you 99% of the information Windows gives you with the only exception being the few Windows that may or may not be open.

Come back with an actual smoking gun, instead of a water pistol. WoO is not responsible for bad map design.

• Kaitsja
    Options
  • Raccoon
    Options

Ah, the WoO gaslighting with the fallback on map design.

I don't recall mentioning map design at all in my arguments - just WoO's current effect on the game in its current form.

I'll just go back to my WoO and continue to succeed using the PERFECT information it provides instead of ignoring the reality of the perk, its popularity, and its usage in high end teams (solo or not) - It's clear there is, per usual, no real discussion to be had.

Everything's an insult, and everything's a put down.

• Kaitsja
    Options

And I will once again point out how you can achieve the same results with map knowledge. Look no further than Hens vs Otz 1v1.

• Raccoon
    edited August 2023
    Options

Are you talking about this video....where he uses WoO....and also says stuff like "Oh, this isn't a good pallet" / "We don't have the good window" while playing?

Post edited by Raccoon on
  • GaunterODimmDBD
    GaunterODimmDBD Member Posts: 119
    Options

Lmao can't believe we're at that point where Windows of opportunity is 'Broken'.

• Kaitsja
    Options

Yes that video, where Otz was running Zanshin and Hens was not running WoO.

• Raccoon
    Options

Hens is clearly running WoO and pre-emptively calling out stuff in his commentary like "We don't have the good window."

Can you explain why you don't think WoO is being run on the survivor side?