New former reshade user is now worried about getting banned

Comments

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

I sincerely doubt that the "vast majority" of people using filters are using them because they are colorblind.

• Reinami
    • Did NVIDIA buy BHVR recently and i not know about it? Because that doesn't feel like an official source to me.
    • Care to explain how? It really is the same logic, your argument that you have presented so far is not "filter are not cheating" but that "Filters are important for accessibility" i am simply refuting that logic by pointing out the comparison that could be made in another situation. If you want to make the argument from an accessibility standpoint, you must confront the example i provided. Now, if you want to present the idea that filters are not cheating, i would be happy to read that as i have several counterpoints on that as well i could mention.
    • I'm not saying you haven't, i'm simply stating that the better solution to accessibility issues is to make them, you know, accessible to all players and that you should continue to petition BHVR for better accessibility options.
    • I never said buying an NVIDIA graphics card is cheating, i stated using this 3rd party program is, i can also buy a mouse for CS:GO that has scripts built in to control my recoil, but valve is banning players for that, is that suddenly not cheating either?

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,270

never claimed it was because of colorblindness. - I was saying "within the norm" i.e. to account for personal preferences that have no significant impact on match outcomes.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Even if you don't use NVIDIAs reshade/freestyle it's installed by default unless you do a custom install. Are we saying that running a common video driver software will result in a ban? I don't think so.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 187

I dunno man I never used the filters and don't have that much knowledge about them. Seems odd that so many pc players meltdown because they don't want to play the game with the graphics looking the way they are intended when console players are fine. Also like I said when Hunt banned them everyone said they were going to stop playing but it seems that very few actually did.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 461
    edited August 27

This is sad because the game looks blurry af without any filters, I've been using Nvidia filters for years now and since last patch switched to ReShade to add sharpness on the screen.

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 360

I'm not directing this at anyone just thought your post would be a good place to add this. While I don't really have an opinion on filters one way or another, BHVR has said use 3rd party programs at your own risk, since I started playing. The only outlier is that they do not ban for communication apps.

Just because EAC has allowed something for a long time does not mean they always will. They could even re-allow it on a whim. This whole thing could be caused by a bug for all we know.

Either way, you are correct, I don't remember BHVR ever saying any software related to this are allowed. EAC, if I recall, pretty much determines it, as far as I know.

From the support page.

"OTHER HACKS

Using 3rd party software or other tools to gain any kind of unfair advantage that wasn’t intended by the game.

We do not ban for the use of communication apps"

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

We have to get used to the blurriness, I was a luma sharpen user. The native AA of the game is the TAA, one of the worse implemented in fact. Not using AA is not an alternative, because with the AA disabled the character hairs and grass look too pixelated, specially for the ones playing at 1080p like me. I hope it is reverted back.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

I can promise you 99.99% of non colorblind players only make the game brighter and not even by a lot because maps like coldwind farms and eyrie of crow are so bright that if you make the filter too bright then you cant see anything on those maps.

People "Melt down" and rightfully so. Should I just tell my friend to go shove off after putting hundreds of dollars into the game after he found out he could use filters to play since he has a smaller retina than normal? Why change something that has been in the game for years? Especially when the advantages are miniscule and help people with problems more than to gain an advantage.

Be honest with yourself, have you ever thought. "Those guys probably beat me because they are using filters."

The only people who are glad filters are gone are console players, period. Since they can't have them NO ONE CAN.

• Moonras2

Have you tried enabling fsr. I noticed on the steamdeck it seems to make the game a bit sharper when I'm playing on the tv. Any game I've played that uses taa looks blurry at 1080p for some reason. Never noticed it at higher res.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 683

I only used nVDIA filters for seeing scratch marks better and to make the game look crisper. Now that we have brighter reds I don't see a need for the filters anymore and won't use them.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 687

You can’t use filters on PS5 so if it’s really an issue then surely the answer is to add in game options for all players, not to use external modifiers only available for a portion of the playerbase

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,211

I don't. I don't even use filters on PC. I just play on low graphics so the game is acceptably lit. This might be the silliest thing that gets debated in the community. Add a brightness slider like every other game released in the last 10 years.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

They are compatible you can literally get on the software on your computer and boot DBD up from it directly, Nvidia is just the computers graphics card it's not a cheat program like the ones people are actually being banned for, I played all day with nvidia and didn't get banned today but my filters were disabled, I just can't download another program to bypass that and I'll be fine, that's where people are getting in trouble is looking for workarounds instead of just letting them go.

• IamFran

FSR downsample the image, the game look sharper but worse in the rest of the aspects. In addition, the FSR version in DBD is old.

• IamFran

20 years ago, or more.

The brightness setting is maybe one of the oldest settings in 3D games.

• Moonras2

Yes it is but I don't really notice any difference with it in image quality in this game, outside of it being sharper. That's on my steamdeck though, I've never tried it on my main PC or console. At least not in this game.

Waaaiiit, I remember now. It's because I tend to play on the lowest settings and it kind of disables the taa anyway I believe.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,408

I didn't even know this was a thing. I have bad eyesight (thanks dad for the shoddy genetics) but I just play with glasses, and don't BHVR have colour blind settings? I imagine most do use it for the advantage

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,273

Game looks so blurry and bad without reshare. Theres no way to improve brightness or sharpness in the game itself so before they go banning people for using reshare or NVIDIA they should be adding these into the game which should have been added already years ago. No one should be forced to play on LOW settings to see something!.

I don't want to play in dark room to see something during daytimes.

" What about console players" You console players made your choice to be console players no? Playing 5 meters away from your screen is already a handicap compared to PC players. Some games are better for PC some are better for console and DBD is better for PC. Sorry thats just the sad truth. 🙄

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,842

It's absolutely cheating. Darkness is literally supposed to be part of the game balance on some maps. Heck, we have an ENTIRE GAMEMODE dedicated to darkness. Filters completely remove that element. It's cheating - 100%

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,153

Being able to modify red stain = Cheating. Simple as that.

i have good eyesight but the visibility in dbd is intentional poor. It is meant to intentionally poor for stealth. your meant miss visual cues of the game. you can argue that this form of balance shouldn't be in the game or what not but cheating to acquire said advantage is problematic.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,273

I'm not hating on console players by any means if you think that. I know there are always choices and factors. I used to be console player back at the days and i still to this day think RPGS are best played on console. There are games i own on steam that i hate playing on keyboard which are just simply better on controller.

I'm just simply stating the fact that DBD used to be PC only game at the start no? Correct me if im wrong. So of course they are going to be more catered towards PC.

Lack of space… well honest Big ass tv takes more space than small desk and a PC. Money wise.. yeah Pcs are pricey and requires more parts, and not everyone can afford to buy expensive gaming PCs, which you don't need to play this game. You can easily play this game with 500-600 euro /dollar PC. Which is the same price as PS5. Many people enjoy sitting on the couch and kick back and play the game. I'm not blaming them, but sitting far away from the tv and not having the options PC has comes with that choice. I can almost every time tell whos a controller/ console player when i see one as a killer. They have clumsier movements than PC killers.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,918

There are also players that play the game with the colour settings that the developers intentionally put in the game. Could this have been communicated better? Absolutely. However, I think reshade, or any kind of shading software for that matter, should have been looked at years ago. An earlier change could have prevented years of discussion and distasteful conversations.

• Aceislife
    Aceislife Member Posts: 256

Why not talk about how the original in-game gamma is so dark there's black crush absolutely everywhere?

• radiantHero23
    edited August 28

This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.

Its undeniable that certain software is used to gain a competetive advantage. Saying otherwise is plain wrong. However, as with most aspects discussed here, there are layers to it. Not all players that use shaders use it to gain a competetive advantage.

One example that comes to mind is Otz. When he streams, as far as I know, he puts a filter over the game for the audience so that the viewing experience is more pleasant. I presume many people do something akin to that.

On the other hand, you have other streamers, Im certain that most people know them that are invested into competetive dbd, that use different shaders for different maps to gain an advantage over others. This is what @Reinami is presumably talking about it here:

The advantage is often relatively small, especially when compared to the massive advantage streched resolution was able to provide in the past.

Similarly to streched res, however, nobody can convice me that making toba landing look like the desert from dune just to have the terror radius / scratch marks be flashing red on your screen is just to make the game "look nice".

• Making the game a bit brighter to have a more pleasant viweing experience? I dont think anybody has a problem with that.
    • Using specific filters for each map to make crucial gameplay indicators easier to see or straight up earlier visible? That is where people take offense and I can honestly understand why.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,747

You know us consolers cannot even change the graphics low-high-ultra whatever PC can do? We're locked at High I believe.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

“It’s intentionally hard to see things” but how much harder is it for the people with poor eyesight. We aren’t talking about stretch Rez here which was a huge advantage. We’re talking about making things slightly brighter and easier on the eyes

I just found out my monitor has its own gamma, color, exposure and contrast filters so I’m still using “filters” anyways. I’m not going to be exiled from a game I’ve spent $500 plus on just because a few people use filters for a minuscule competitive advantage.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,153

the game meant to be dark. it is horror game. it is just some player don't want that. they want the game to be clear as crystal for competitive advantage. all they're doing in this update is removing competitive advantage, much like stretch res. reshade and filter are much worse then stretch res. red glow if used by experienced survivor makes 60% of m1 killer practically unplayable if the player is good.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 628

Glad scrachmarks got brightened but what about the red stain? Scratchmarks are opaque but red stain is transparent.

Killers dont need filters anymore but survivor still has the same red stain from 7 years ago?

Niiiiice

• Reinami

Ok, so now w are getting somewhere. The advantage it gives is SMALL. So how much of an advantage do we think is acceptable for a 3rd party program to give before it crosses the realm into a "cheat"?

• radiantHero23

I think seeing the red stain a second at most earlier is indeed a relatively small advantage. Especially when compared to what cheaters usually pull off. If anybody has encountered real blatant cheaters that want you to have a miserable time, regardless of the role your play, im certain one can agree on that.

I personally think that shaders give a smaller advantage than streched resolution gave to people (literally seeing over objects resulting in certain tiles not being mindgameable and countering ghostface´s power).

I do however think that people like Otz that just adjust the brightness a bit to make the experience more pleasant or that have problems with eyesight do not really use shaders to get a competetive advantage. Making the game brighter does usually not make scratch marks or red stain more visible as far as I know.

As I mentioned before, using shaders to make the red stain look like a block in front of the killer while the colours of the rest of the game look grey at best, is definitely done for an in game advantage and to these people I say the same as to the people that used streched res to do the same in the past: good riddance!

So to conclude. I think making the game a bit more bright is definitely acceptable.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 187
  • drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,584

It's my understanding the largest part of the player base is on console (by far).

• drsoontm
    • Citation? I've always heard "you use third party software at your own risk".
    • In your opinion. You don't actually know. Funnily enough, I've mostly heard about these for unfair advantages. (It was like the ratio cheat "because it's prettier" excuse.)
    • No thanks.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068
  • drsoontm

Mouse?

Keyboard?

Macroing/programming features? These are banned in many places.

Just a few days ago Valve has banned an infamous "gaming" keyboard feature for CS2.

A GPU is supposed to render a game the way the developer intended.

If your GPU had a wall-hack built-in, would it be also fine for you?

Not for me.