According to BHVR's own stats

Options
  1. Hag is the least popular killer in red ranks despite most tier lists placing her at around B to A tier.
  2. Freddy has the highest kill rate at red ranks, being over 75%. Freddy has an average pickrate too, Being the third most played killer.
  3. The top 5 most popular killers in red rank are Spirit, Billy, Freddy, Huntress, and Ghostface.
  4. The top 5 strongest killers in red ranks are Freddy, Billy, Spirit, Hag, and Pig.
  5. Statistically, the Clown, Demogorgon, and Nurse have the lowest kill rates in red ranks.
  6. Statistically, despite Nurse still being rated as S tier by some people, the Nurse in red ranks has a lower kill rate than Legion, Wraith, Trapper, Pig, Plague, Doctor, Leatherface, and Hag.
  7. The Clown is statistically the weakest killer in the game right now in red ranks. (When all other ranks are taken into consideration, the Nurse is statistically the weakest killer in the game).
  8. While the Spirit had the highest pickrate in the game, her killrate was only in the top 3. She was only the most popular killer, not statistically the strongest.
  9. Statistically the best 3 killers are Spirit, Billy, and Freddy. All of them have strong winrates and pickrates.

According to BHVR's own stats the following statements can be considered true.

1. If Spirit was "overperforming", then she either barely grazed that bar or Billy and Freddy are coming close to it. (If they aren't already. If one of them is over the line I'd say Freddy is probably what BHVR would consider "overperforming").
  2. Nurse is no longer one of the best killers in the game. Statistically she is one of the weakest right now. She is only statistically stronger than Demogorgon and Clown.
  3. The Clown is statistically the worst killer in the game.
  4. Huntress is a very popular killer despite having a low killrate (if my estimate is correct Huntress is 14th.)
  5. Placing killer viability based on these stats is kinda tricky. But if these stats are true (which there's no reason to assume they aren't, then the following killers would be considered "not viable" at red ranks without a lot of help (Legion, Wraith, Nurse, Demogorgon, Clown, Plague, Doctor, Leatherface). (Hag would have been included due to her low pickrate but her high killrate disqualified her from what I would consider "not viable".)

Also, according to these very same statistics

1. Hawkins, the Game, and Lery's are statistically the strongest killer maps. All of these maps are small, and Hawkins in particular has a distinct lack of safe loops, making loops winnable for the killer.
  2. Haddonfield is statistically the safest survivor map. This map features a lot of safe window structures and popular spots for the perk "Balanced Landing", allowing the creation of very long chases with minimal effort.

So with this in mind. I have a lot of questions for BHVR based on these stats.

1. Are Freddy and Hillbilly on your radar for changes? Are they, what you would consider, overperforming?
  2. What exactly caused Spirit to be "overperforming"? Is it her pickrate or the combination of pickrate and killrate?
  3. Are there any plans to address the 3 statistically underperforming killers? And by "any plans" I mean, within the next 2-3 patches and not "they're on our list of things to address".
  4. Nurse was the recipient of a rework that, while on the PTB, received pages and pages of negative feedback from players. That feedback was ignored and the only addons that people considered good on the reworked Nurse were nerfed when she was pushed to the live server. Now that the feedback remains negative and the statistics show she is an incredibly weak killer at red ranks, are there any plans to go back and revisit this rework to try and address why she is so unpopular and weak?
  5. What is the reason behind Hag having an incredibly low pickrate. There are very few metrics that consider Hag to be a weak killer. The only logic behind her low pickrate is that people simply do not enjoy her playstyle for whatever reason. Is there any plan to make Hag a more fun killer to play as without necessarily increasing her strength?

Comments

• SilentSpectre
    SilentSpectre Member Posts: 830
    Options
  • GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options
  • humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,799
    Options

eh people find trapper more fun also it could be a factor that hag is 110 speed

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Specifically for the very last question, you're better off questioning the community.

• PickCollins
    PickCollins Member Posts: 495
    Options

"overperforming" usually pertains to statistics by a very heavy degree. If Spirit was overperforming on a macro scale, then it had to have been her pickrate or killrate. Her pickrate does make her appear as an outlier, and her killrate being one of the best probably influenced that decision. Peanits did just say that they do not balance solely on stats, but they did say the biggest reason they decided to shift focus to Spirit was because the complaints on her led them to see that she was overperforming.

And yes you are right, the safest map for survivors IS rotten fields. I read the percentages wrong and assumed the numbers were escape rate, not kill rate. That is my mistake.

Also a killer that I consider "not viable" is a killer who isn't able to reliably 3K on average. Nurse, Demogorgon, Huntress, and Clown all have killrates below 65%, which means the concept of a 3K for them is not that much more feasible than a 2K, which is a draw. (according to the red rank emblem system, a 2k is a loss but that's a different story).

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Poor Peanits. How is it his fault? He wasn't even the one who said it D:

• Fibijean
    Options

I'm about 90% sure the overperforming part wasn't about her killrate, because they mentioned seconds later in the same stream that Freddy was actually the killer with the highest killrate. I suspect it was a bunch of smaller factors that added up, but there's really no way for us to know for sure without being told.

As for the viability thing, I didn't think of it that way, and that's a fair enough assessment.

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624
    Options

It wasn't him? I tough it was since the comment about Spirit kill ratio. Lol

• PickCollins
    Options

Yeah I don't think Peanits actually declared Spirit as overperforming. Regardless, too much weight was put behind the idea that Spirit was doing too well statistically. "Overperforming" means a killer is performing too well (since "performing" means accomplishing the conditions of your role successfully, "overperforming" means going above and beyond.) . Meaning that declaring something "overperforming" means "they're doing too well".

No matter who said it, justifying the idea that Spirit needs changes with "she's overperforming" and then turning around on a post like this and saying "we do not balance on statistics alone" is either facetious, deceptive, or a product of miscommunication.

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624
    Options

Sorry Peanits! For a reason I associate you with this word because you always answered question about Spirit and this word was created since all the conversations about her nerfs :( it is still funny

• Fibijean
    Options

It was probably just not the perfect word to use for what they were trying to describe, but the stream wasn't scripted or edited and people don't use the perfect word all the time. It's just unfortunate that the community latched onto this one word so hard and refused to let go.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    Options

The performance is mostly based on the skillfloor. Easy characters perform very well and hard ones perform badly. Freddy and Billy get a lot of value with their easy to use mobility. Spirit replaces the hard chase mechanics with hearing. Thus an average player performs well with them. Nurse, Huntress and Clown have the lowest killrate due to them beeing skillbased killers. Most players dont have great aim to make them work.

• PickCollins
    Options

If this was general population of the game I'd be fine with that logic but this is red rank. This is where the best players lie. This is where the players have "great aim to make them work"

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    Options

So many obvious purposeful wrongdoings in conclusions makes me sad.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    Options

The devs can say what they want, we all know billy is next on the chopping block.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    edited November 2019
    Options

Red ranks has nothing to do with aim. Beeing good at shooters makes you have great aim. Red ranks just means you played a lot this month.

You can get rank 1 with freddy for example. But your aim is just as a bad as a rank 20 freddy.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318
    Options

I don't think they were overwhelmingly positive from everyone else. Certainly from people like yourself who are content with the changes. Bystanders with no investment one way or the other have, just as their group name is, mixed opinions. I've seen quite a few people agree the addons should be changed but the basekit was too much (especially if they haven't tested the addon changes first like they should have) but I've also seen people agree with the changes.

Either way, we'll never have the solid data that could be very useful in this debate. If they have changed her addons first and left her basekit alone, we could see if it was just addons over-performing or if it had something to do with her basekit. Now we'll never get to know AND she's unfun! The best outcome!

• Venom368
    Venom368 Member Posts: 321
    Options

I do agree with you that it would have been better to test the add-on changes alone first. But from what I recall, many people used her without any add-ons. (I know I did)

• coppersly
    Options

But most of the outcry was for addons. The devs started out saying it was just going to be addons.

It would have been so much better to have data and reason behind basekit changes instead of a shotgun approach by people who clearly don't understand what makes her fun and interesting to play.

• Venom368
    Venom368 Member Posts: 321
    Options

I was not active on the forums prior to the nerf, but I did of course know that the multi-blink add-ons had always been an issue. But, every streamer I had ever watched pre-nerf always used her without add-ons and still complained about her strength. So in my eyes, it seemed like a nerf to her base kit was justified when several rank 1 killers consistently complained about her ability to be far more effective than other killers, even without using add-ons

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Lots of people wondering about Hag's low pick rate. I play her for many of the same reasons people wouldn't. I like that I don't have to chase or loop when I use her. You're constantly evaluating the map and gen layout to build and reshape your web so thst your chases are essentially over before they begin. When you understand the survivor tendencies and pathing, only Nurse and Spirit can rival Hag's chase speed (in her web). She's super difficult though. Every map tile on every map has a specific place a trap needs to be to get someone, and she can feel frustrating against well-coordinated SWFs that somehow always manage to run outside of your web. The games can also get tedious if survivors get completely immersed towards the end or 3 gen themselves but also refuse to do any of them (happens more than you think).

• coppersly
    Options

I had a game where the last 3 gens were on one side and I had a wall of traps preventing entrance. It got to the point where they had people running in to get hit while the others rushed past until they were hit where they would proceed to run back into the gen-less area to try and bait me out.

It was a long game but you can't really stop them when they do stuff like that as hag :(

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    edited November 2019
    Options

Yup. I actually think that buffing Hag to 112.5%ms and increasing her trap range would make her more fun for everyone. She's perceived as unfun because of her weaknesses, not her strengths. I don't want to be campy, but base trap range is too limited to cover even half of a map, and she's way too slow to chase outside of her web. The reduced speed curve coming out of traps makes them just ok at some loops. But trapping loops during chase is ineffective most of the time.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

I was completely fine with the add on reworks. The base kit rework has had me playing other killers instead of my former main, or playing Civ V (or technically Tales of Maj’Eyal, but...you know, another game.). Barely worth doing her dailies anymore for how much not fun they are to do.

• coppersly
    Options

I agree, her range limitation is a double edged sword.

It feels like it would be too strong to have basekit, but having a limited range encourages hook camping like you say. But having map wide range would encourage more strategic trap placement since you have a much wider area to cover with way less traps than you need to do it.

I also agree the speed coming out of teleport is another problem. It feels like the byproduct of their earlier days when they didn't have as much experience in animation and coding. I'm sure now they could redo/touch up the teleportation so you aren't extremely slow for a second before returning to normal speed.

Those 2 changes are all she needs, and one of them is honestly just a QOL fix.

• Uxoricide
    Uxoricide Member Posts: 219
    Options

@Venom368 There are multiple threads from survivor mains who complain about how unfun she is to play against now as well... not sure what you're basing your comment off of...

This discussion has been closed.