The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Options

Comments

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

I had a match where I left a locker and immediately was stuck and like stuttered on the hay bale next to me. The blindness effect from the locker never went away and I couldn't see auras for the rest of the match.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

Patch notes don't mention anything about consoles, but they did say the fixed FPS drops from Dead Hard, gens being done and healing. Hope it's true. Sadly there's nothing related to hooking/unhooking because these are the most annoying hitches right now imo.

• bm33
    Options

The hook ones are terrible. I was hoping the Sloppy Butcher ones would be fixed at same time as Dead Hard.

PS4 patch is 2.276GB, wonder how much that will help or hurt performance.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,505
    Options

whilst Consoles are not specifically mentioned these are pertinent issues to consoles.

I will be interested in hearing all your feedback once you've had chance to test the patch out. Please update this thread, if you wouldn't mind - you can also tag me as it's things I'm looking out for specifically.

• bm33
    Options

Loading into the game my ps4 was quiet until I got to the main menus, once in main menus the fans started going crazy like normal. I was so excited too when at the "press x to continue" screen it was quiet, thought maybe they finally fixed the fans issue.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Menu looks different too. But fans were always quiet when you first boot up the console. It might be that.

• GrimoireWeiss
    Options

Anyone has already tested Pinhead yet? I want to know if he's playable on controller or causing hitches before spending my money.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,559
    Options

I will make post on here later today detailing my experience.

I'l try to include some clips as well.

• bm33
    Options

My console was already on. Had been using it watch something.

• Shaped
    Options
  • Shaped
    Options

Thats good. Hope they fixed at least that.

I guess Myers isn't fixed right? I mean freezing after tiering up.

• Shaped
    Options

Yeah sorry for being annoying lol. I don't really feel like playing myself atm so I am interested in changes.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,505
    Options

Thank you so much! That's so helpful of you, I really do appreciate that.

• Shaped
    Options

Oops I missed this post somehow. Thank you so much for testing. I am glad dh looks good now. :)

• GrimoireWeiss
    edited September 2021
    Options

@MandyTalk unfortunately killer side still needs a lot of improvement. I don't know if it's because RCPD is a super heavy map and Nurse usually causes a lot of freezes, but this match had incredibly poor performance.

Sloppy Butcher lag.

BBQ stack lag.

I don't even know how to explain this one. The flashbang Feng used made me slutter into the stairs and I couldn't move until I blinked out of it.

Unhook lag.

Gen explosion lag.

Unfortunately nobody used Dead Hard on this match so I couldn't record it on the killers' perspective.

Also, off topic, but is Shadowborn bugged? Wasn't the FOV bigger than that on Nurse?

• Hel24330
    Hel24330 Member Posts: 51
    Options

The loading screen no longer displays particle effects. My console is quiet. I’m gonna cry

• Shaped
    Options

I only had one game and as a survivor but I am honestly surprised. Positively. It is too early to say tho. But they might be on right track finally.

• 2bitfeller
    2bitfeller Member Posts: 77
    Options

Is anyone else on PC noticing that their gpu is working harder just to maintain the same graphics settings since the update?

After the update, i now have to lower the graphics settings and resolution to maintain 60 fps, where before I could max it out just fine.

Really disappointing honestly.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,800
    edited September 2021
    Options

Ugh, c'mon. The overheating issue on the campfire menu/lobby screens is now WORSE. My PS4 Pro's fans immediately go to max. The game spends eons in lobby screens! What the hell am I supposed to do?!

The fans are now silent on the opening splash screen, so that's awesome. It also proves this is something for the devs to fix on their end.

• bm33
    Options

Part of me wondered if they were actually louder on menu/lobby/archives or if I was just thinking that because of how quiet they now are at start and during loading. When I first had the fans be quiet at "press x to continue" I was so hopeful and that hope went away so fast when I heard them jet engine on the menu. I really hope this is something they look into further because the noise is very worrisome.

I played some survivor matches today. Overall the game does feel better than it has the last few months but I'm still getting plenty of freezes. Most freezes are from triggers I could name like unhooks or Sloppy Butcher but I also had some I couldn't pinpoint what they were from - not sure if something happened on other side of map to trigger them or what. Freezes don't feel as harsh as they have been, but killer/map still make a difference in how hard a freeze hits from a triggers like Sloppy and unhook.

Start of session I had a bunch of Pinheads but after like maybe 4 matches no more Pinheads. Had some Nemesis, some Wraith, one Trapper and one Demo. Pinhead I didn't notice any freezes related to his power while playing against him. I did have a few freezes in those matches when no one was near me and couldn't pinpoint cause so can't say if he did/didn't do anything to cause them. Wraith I noticed the most performance issues while playing against him, they were all wearing glowy cosmetics and were on Cronus Prenn or Coldwind maps so not sure if just bad combo of cosmetic and map that made performance worse or if it is Wraith himself that causes more issues. I am interested in playing against a Huntress because performance was terrible for me against her before this patch.

For maps I mostly had Coldwind and Cronus Prenn and they were where I experienced the most performance issues. Had single match each on Haddonfield, Yamoaka, and MacMillan maps - those matches went fairly smooth, only known triggers caused freezes.

• Hnetu
    Hnetu Member Posts: 12
    Options

Definitely noticing a drop in quality on PC/Steam. The game chugs along during certain things, usually when a killer picks up a survivor or certain parts of the map. Auto Heaven going through the entrance of the garage once it's open as killer caused some severe frame drop when passing under the flickering lights for example.

Additionally it makes other things chug as well, turning other programs/videos on my other monitor into slideshows.

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311
    Options

Has anyone else gotten stuck at the exit line after the gates? It’s happened to me twice now.

• GrayEyes
    GrayEyes Member Posts: 379
    Options

If they just removed the fog altogether entirely it would be better, ik it's supposed to add eerie vibes and make the game darker but honestly it would be a much better game on last gen without all that stuff

• bm33
    Options

Honestly I'd love for them to remove fog all together because, like luck, it's just useless and the offerings are just wasted BP. Look at this fog on Coldwind, it looks like exhaust from an old crappy city bus. That doesn't make this map look creepy, it just looks crappy.

• Soulpaw
    Soulpaw Member Posts: 290
    Options

Yeah, Shadowborne is bugged and not giving a FOV increase. I heard Monitor and Abuse is also bugged for the same reason on the forums but I dont have confirmation.

• GrimoireWeiss
    Options

Dead Hard seems to be working okay on killer's perspective. This match was overall better than the one on RCPD, only had very few minor freezes. Maybe it's worth investigating performance issues on that map.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187
    Options

@Hnetu Already brought this up but I'm starting to notice some slight lag issues on PC, especially when I'm in the middle of certain indoor maps like Lery's, I also had a bit of it when I was on the Thompson house earlier but that might just be the corn.

• Hel24330
    Hel24330 Member Posts: 51
    Options

You’ve got a point here. Loading screens are definitely better but particle effects in lobby or in the rift menu are an useless overheat source.

Another really wonderful feature I have this patch, I can hear footsteps and moaning so clearly now through my headphones. They really nailed it. I’ve never heard any pc streamers talk about it since tuesday so I assume this is how the game is supposed to be. I dont’t talk about the walls bug fixes mentionned in the patch notes, I mean even open spaced sounds. It’s such a gameplay improvements for me as a killer.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    edited September 2021
    Options

Sadly the fog used to look good, i don't remember in which patch they changed it.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687
    Options

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I regret not investing a damn good PC. That I regret investing in this game for the old gen PS4 and it shouldn't be that way. Now I'm hearing even really decent PCs is getting a slice of the action... It just ain't right.

As much as I love new content, I'd be 10x happier to be able to actually play it 100% smoothly. I can't remember if I've shared it before but here is what it is like to verse Nemesis on console:

• WretchedElk
    Options

My game randomly froze and then crashed yesterday, so the crashes might have caught up to the series X now.

I also got a five minute ban over a crash which was… annoying.

• Shaped
    Options

Myers still freezing often when tier 3 pops.

Wonder if I l'll ever be able to play him properly on last gen anymore.

Feelsbadman.

• bm33
    Options

So I noticed there are some issues with my controller input in matches. At start when I go to run I can't, I just walk slowly until I hit run again. In some chases I'm getting quite a bit of movement issues, like my survivor is drifting to a side instead of running straight or isn't turning when I try to turn. I thought maybe killer was a hacker because it was when he was losing at end of match but it happened again in next match towards end when different killer was losing - it was like the more gens completed the more my survivor wasn't responding well to movement controls. In other games I'm having no controller issues, it's just DBD.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 635
    edited September 2021
    Options

The fan noise is really an issue that needs to be addressed asap imo; and what I noticed that was strange is that once the match loads and the loading bar is finished, you can clearly hear the fan spin down to a regular speed which it remains at until returning to the lobby screen. So its stressing the console more in the lobby than in a match??

The freezes have all but gone for me, none on hooking, Dead Hard, Sloppy Butcher, Ruin etc - slight hitch sometimes on an unhook or the first time you use an action. Its as if it doesn't load things until its used and needs to, then once its loaded once it runs fine but you get a hitch when it access stuff initially.

This update has honestly fixed more than I was expecting and I have to say I'm impressed, even though there is still a lot that needs to be done.

My biggest issue and always has been is the really low base FPS which makes first person games in particular feel awful and difficult to play\control.

Its been difficult to test things so far as the new killer means queues are really long to play the side with the most impactful issues; and when I have got a game my MMR\rank is so low because I haven't been able to play since the Nemesis DLC\updates, that I'm playing people who aren't really playing well and that is where the issues are most apparent, when every little thing that costs you a few seconds can lose the game.

I still think the best solution for me is to drop all the fancy graphic\textures\lighting etc that are the most resource hungry and less impactful to gameplay to bare minimum so we can instantly improve FPS; then I would look to optimise things and slowly reintroduce things to push the hardware and see where the limit is while still retaining the most important thing - how smooth the game feels to play. Its 2021 and I don't feel the base FPS is reasonable, even if the PS4 version was running like it does but on some handheld device.

I've been playing Aliens Fireteam which is the first game made by the studio, cost £35 brand new at launch, and runs smooth as butter while looking great and having a reasonable amount of AI enemies on screen. I just can't see a reason DbD runs so bad in comparison to most other games, especially with the money earned and time spent on it.

I really strongly feel that BHVR could do with at least 1 person there who plays on the older consoles and can offer insight into small changes that would massively improve console QoL. Controller acceleration options and dead zone settings for example are still bafflingly absent.

Overall though I'm surprised and impressed with this patch, its done a lot more than I expected from what I've experienced so far.

Edit to add its definitely killer\map dependent, just had a horrible game as Pyramid on Yamaoka Temple where I got really bad freezing when trying to use the power, and a choppy framerate in general that game making basic control of the character a real challenge.

I think Spirit as a killer is fine and maybe the Midwich School map that was causing the general low FPS I was feeling on my previous match.

Post edited by DarKStaR350z on
  • Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392
    Options

This happen to me in every match mostly and I play on PC.

• Shaped
    Options

At least I can play some Piggy :). She works fine for me.

• Shaped
    Options

I thought I could still play if I don't hang out too long in menu/lobbies. Then I had to get something from the bloodweb for a minute, and just touched my ps4 pro out of curiosity.

I nearly burned my hand, not even exaggerating.

Dangerous game playing dbd since the update. I should probably try to control my urges and play other games until they do something.

But it is hard.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options

Did they fix some performance issues in the last patch? Played again on my Xbox One and it was actually very smooth most of the time (just a few hiccups every now and then). I haven't looked at the patch notes yet.

• WretchedElk
    Options

I don’t know if it’s just me but the game seems to playing worse on my series x since the update.

Wednesday I crashed and got a DC penalty.

Last night I played 3 games but only got to play one. Game 1 the killer crashed instantly.

Game 2 I got half a game, and then the killer crashed, but I somehow got a DC penalty.

Game 3 I actually got to play. I can’t see me playing for much longer if these are how the games are going to go.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,559
    Options

Okay. Here's my post-patch analysis.

Dead Hard can still freeze the game. It's about 80% fixed, I would say. As seen here, it will still freeze your game.

There are also unbreakable pallets on the game, but that's less of an optimization issue.

I also got a hacker when my Crossplay was turned off, so watch out for that everyone.

• DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227
    Options

After 5.2 is the performance again really horrible on Nintendo Switch. Feels like you are playing again with 20-25 FPS. Before the update everything works fine because of reduced graphics.

5.2 is a step into the wrong direction. Or maybe 2 steps.