Why punishing DC's is not the solution

Cuz survivors can just suicide on hook and killer can go afk (and get some chasing points meanwhile if survivors farm).

Imo the devs have two better options to combat the current "DC meta":

1. They need to realise WHY people DC in the first place and fix the issues

2. Give the players more motivation to keep trying in an unfun match (more rewards for example)

Punishing DC's with bans is just a workaround and probably doesn't even work cuz people DC legit with suiciding on hooks etc.

Comments

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    My take is: suicide on first hook should be punished too.
    Yeah I'm a blowhard.
  • HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    LCGaster said:

What if they simply DC because they lost a chase too quickly? The devs even said that they would like chases to be faster.

Disconnecting in the end ruins the game for your teammates, it is punishable in other games, it should be the same for this

Did I said DC'ing is fine and does not ruin the game for the others?
  • Giddawid
    Giddawid Member Posts: 102

@HavelmomDaS1 Thank you for offering your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to think about potential solutions to keep survivors interested. What do you think would motivate survivors if you were offering a reward?

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

@Giddawid said:
    @HavelmomDaS1 Thank you for offering your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to think about potential solutions to keep survivors interested. What do you think would motivate survivors if you were offering a reward?

You mean to tell me ya'll wondering why people leave from the game and from the number of surveys that you put out you still don't know the reason? That's sad.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    Cuz survivors can just suicide on hook and killer can go afk (and get some chasing points meanwhile if survivors farm).

2. Give the players more motivation to keep trying in an unfun match (more rewards for example)

Punishing DC's with bans is just a workaround and probably doesn't even work cuz people DC legit with suiciding on hooks etc.

AFKing is also a reportable cause 

• HavelmomDaS1
    Giddawid said:

I will take some time and think about some ideas and give you my personal solutions
  • HavelmomDaS1
    edited January 2019

@HavelmomDaS1 said:

Well as killer you can be pseudo afk. For example as hillbilly, chainsawing as long as possible across the map. In theory you are not afk, but in reality you are not really participate in this match and it's kinda the same as beeing afk. And on top on that you get blood points.
  • Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    ToxicFengM1n said:

@HavelmomDaS1 said:

* They need to realise WHY people DC in the first place and fix the issues

• Give the players more motivation to keep trying in an unfun match (more rewards for example)

Well as killer you can be pseudo afk. For example as hillbilly, chainsawing as long as possible across the map. In theory you are not afk, but in reality you are not really participate in this match and it's kinda the same as beeing afk. And on top on that you get blood points.

Then that would still be reportable for farming

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

@Giddawid said:

seems simple. bloodpoints and iri shards

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited January 2019

@HavelmomDaS1 said:

The sad part is when you realize that suiciding on hook is actually a step foward from out current DC situation.

And since suiciding on hook is actually part of intended gameplay, I dont think that BHVR will do anything about this

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Simply put, there are very few balance adjustments for survivors either not loading in, or rage quitting. From the killer's side, they get a small points bonus IF the person quits after the match already starts, while on the survivor side they get a single less gen needed to open the gates IF they player never loads in. The first thing to address would be making these somewhat more even: maybe giving survivors a points bonus for actually staying if someone quits, giving the killer a points bonus if someone doesn't connect.

Another thing might be looking at WHY people quit in the first place: more often than not, they feel the match is a lost cause, and would rather forfeit their points and pips, and just get into another one. After all, if you're pretty much guaranteed to not pip, whats the difference of trading 10 minutes for an additional -1? having a forced black pip in the event of a DC might not be a bad idea, but there would have to be some way of measuring whether the DC had any impact on the match (i.e. prevent people from purposely DCing just before dying to keep their swf from depiping.)

Similarly on the killer side, a losing game can feel downright excruciating to stay in, so there should be some kind of pity system to make the loss more bearable. Maybe if you perform under X threshold, keep your spent addons rather than losing them. That way if a killer does exceptionally bad, at least their spent addons won't be wasted... IF they continue the game. As there is always room for abuse for this with AFKing, the bonus could be denied if there isn't any type of movement or interaction after a certain period of time (similar to how the game tracks for AFK crows for survivors)

Of course these are all just starting ideas, but I feel like its a decent direction to look toward when addressing the DC/no load issues.

• Sinner
    Sinner Member Posts: 334
    edited January 2019

@Giddawid said:
    @Sinner I disagree that the only place that skill is in the chase. There can be strategy outside of that which requires forward thinking, although that is not necessarily rewarded in the current ranking system either, so I can see what you're saying. For example, throwing a pebble and having the killer leave to check that area should give you boldness, in my opinion. It's tactical. Things like that currently aren't reflected in the ranking system, so tell me how they could be. That's what I need from you guys <3

@Giddawid
    Yes, well I meant everything that is involved in the chase, such strategies like with the pebble as well. Basically the more time you spend with a survivor, the less points you get towards pip, and same for survivors.

What I would do is setup time intervals or thresholds. For example you spend more than 1 minute in a chase with a survivor, you lose points towards pip. Survivor spends more than 1 minute with the killer, he gets points towards pip. This obviously needs to be brainstormed internally to see what timing would work best and how the points would be distributed. But that's the main idea.

A guy above me said survivors DC because they are bad. This is not how you view a problem. There are bad killers as well. Survivors DC because they are bad and face good killers. If you put bad survivors vs bad killers, you solve the problem.

Right now a bad survivor can do gens and save 1-2 guys, while the killer is chasing a good survivor for 3 minutes. Result is the bad survivors pips an goes to face even better killers, while the good survivor depips and goes to face worse killers. Hence the disconnects.

• TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

You have a separate lobby for people who dc repeatedly both killer and survivor alike - they have this in Dota2 and it stops me rage quitting a game. Low Prio queues is the way - if someone is repeatedly dc'ing because they have a crap connection or bad PC or ######### router then...tough...stop trying to play games you cant play because your setup isn't good enough - if you really want to play that bad upgrade..it doesn't cost that much

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

You have a separate lobby for people who dc repeatedly both killer and survivor alike - they have this in Dota2 and it stops me rage quitting a game. Low Prio queues is the way - if someone is repeatedly dc'ing because they have a crap connection or bad PC or ######### router then...tough...stop trying to play games you cant play because your setup isn't good enough - if you really want to play that bad upgrade..it doesn't cost that much

Im sorry but I think you need to check your privilege at the door.
  • Lateral
    Lateral Member Posts: 77

I've had 2 matches today where Killer has left mid match. Just saying.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@Giddawid said:

I'm not him but I personally think survivor (specifically SOLO) should be made more fun). People DC because they don't have much fun anymore. I think for every person who DC's, the survivors get a 10% speed increase to gens (basically built in Prove thyself). That's it. I also think a built in kindred should be implemented because solo survivor is weak compared to killers.

• TeambossFloze

@Zagrid said:
    TeambossFloze said:

Im sorry but I think you need to check your privilege at the door.

I'm not privileged, I work hard for my setup and I save up for my upgrades. I am in no way, shape or form privileged so leave your judgments at the end of the drive way before you get to the electronic gate and intercom.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    edited January 2019

@Giddawid said:
    @Sinner I disagree that the only place that skill is in the chase. There can be strategy outside of that which requires forward thinking, although that is not necessarily rewarded in the current ranking system either, so I can see what you're saying. For example, throwing a pebble and having the killer leave to check that area should give you boldness, in my opinion. It's tactical. Things like that currently aren't reflected in the ranking system, so tell me how they could be. That's what I need from you guys <3

First of all, I'd like to say, thanks for engaging with the community.

Second....the only people I've personally seen DC from my games come from rage quits. Sometimes but rarely network issues. So there needs to be a distinction between the two.
    3rd. If you want killers to stop DCing you guys need to stop letting rank 1's and rank 3's and rank 5's team up with a rank 16 smurf and harass a rank 16 killer....

Let people in those low ranks learn the game, especially killers since the entire structure of the game is dedicated to their performance. If they can't learn how to perform you just end up with less killers, and more DC's because some rank 1 decided to jump into an SWF and harass a new killer with flashlights, jumping on terrain that can't be reached, and other BS that just pushes a killer to go do something else or in the worst case scenario DC. And for the survivors, punish bad playstyles more. Farming people off the hook, leading the killer into someone and pointing at them, purposefully body blocking someone into getting hit, hook trolling by spamming the unhook button.

Things that should be rewarded....taking a hit for someone you're trying to heal, or taking a hit to save someone in general. Stealth should be rewarded, being in a chase while gens are getting done should be rewarded. People legitimately without exploits loop a killer for 4 gens and don't get rewarded which makes no sense at all. And encourage more anti camping, reward the killer for getting hits on people while someone is already hooked a distance away. Encourage anti hook farming from survivors by making some kinda perk thats the complete ass opposite of BBQ that reveals auras of survivors within like 16m of the hook. Stuff like that.....

Matter of fact, imagine a perk like this.

After hooking a survivor auras of survivors within 16m of the hook are revealed to you, hitting a survivor outside of 30m of a hook gives bonus BP.

• TeambossFloze

@PigMainBigBrain said:

Things that should be rewarded....taking a hit for someone you're trying to heal, or taking a hit to save someone in general. Stealth should be rewarded, being in a chase while gens are getting done should be rewarded. People legitimately without exploits loop a killer for 4 gens and don't get rewarded which makes no sense at all. And encourage more anti camping, reward the killer for getting hits on people while someone is already hooked a distance away. Encourage anti hook farming from survivors by making some kinda perk thats the complete ass opposite of BBQ that reveals auras of survivors within like 16m of the hook. Stuff like that.....

I think it'd be hard to reward stealth - unless you get bonus bp for never being in a chase maybe

• TeambossFloze

thats the complete ass opposite of BBQ that reveals auras of survivors within like 16m of the hook. Stuff like that.....

I also think there are a lot of anti camping perks in game. I think revealing close by survivors would not stop camping, in fact I think it would make it worse.

• Ryuhi

@TeambossFloze said:

@PigMainBigBrain said:

I think it'd be hard to reward stealth - unless you get bonus bp for never being in a chase maybe

Currently you get points for being in the killer's TR without being in a chase, but its an absurdly small amount of boldness (which also already has a lot of means to aquire)

Maybe a nice solution would be to improve the accumulation rate, and put it into the horribly neglected survival category? After all, hiding from a killer is more survival than boldness.

• TeambossFloze

@Ryuhi said:

@TeambossFloze said:

@PigMainBigBrain said:

Currently you get points for being in the killer's TR without being in a chase, but its an absurdly small amount of boldness (which also already has a lot of means to aquire)

Maybe a nice solution would be to improve the accumulation rate, and put it into the horribly neglected survival category? After all, hiding from a killer is more survival than boldness.

I do agree that "boldness" needs some serious looking at. I mean currently it does not reward you to be around the killer stealthing does it

• PigMainBigBrain
    edited January 2019

@TeambossFloze said:

thats the complete ass opposite of BBQ that reveals auras of survivors within like 16m of the hook. Stuff like that.....

I also think there are a lot of anti camping perks in game. I think revealing close by survivors would not stop camping, in fact I think it would make it worse.

I mean they have perks like borrowed time, but people who camp near hooks for the quick grab RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KILLERS FACE WITHIN 3 SECONDS OF HOOKING THEM don't carry those perks. They aren't trying to actually save the other survivor, and most of the time it ends up working against the person being saved because the person saving will just duck and hide, while the killer is tracking scratch marks. ######### I'd even go for putting that control on the person being saved and having some survivor perk where after being unhooked you leave no scratch marks and no blood stains for 15 seconds or something. Hell, even give the killer some kind of control. Reveal the aura of the person unhooking someone for 3 seconds that person leaves scratch marks even while crouching for 20 seconds, on the other hand that same killer perk removes blood stains and scratch marks from the person being saved for 30 seconds. #########....it'd be a nice rework to make your choice even.....

• Sinner

You can't really talk about balance until the game has a proper ranking system.

• TeambossFloze

@PigMainBigBrain said:

@TeambossFloze said:

I mean they have perks like borrowed time, but people who camp near hooks for the quick grab RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KILLERS FACE WITHIN 3 SECONDS OF HOOKING THEM don't carry those perks. They aren't trying to actually save the other survivor, and most of the time it ends up working against the person being saved because the person saving will just duck and hide, while the killer is tracking scratch marks. ######### I'd even go for putting that control on the person being saved and having some survivor perk where after being unhooked you leave no scratch marks and no blood stains for 15 seconds or something.

YEah I mean more like..if im camping persay - and I see a survivor close by - I wont chase him i'll stay by the hook because I already know his/her intention.

If you flag up survivors that are close then im going to camp the hook even harder, or do you mean it as a survivor perk to enable a more co-ordinated attack?

I do think more protection to the hooked survivor is needed, if killer is in x distance from survivor then the bar diminishes slower, but if you try and escape you get penalised more. I think it'd be better to encourage safe hooks more so though

• Ryuhi

@Sinner said:

balance matters even without ANY form of ranking system tho. The problem is that a game being asymmetrical means that balance will always be more complicated.

• TeambossFloze

@Ryuhi said:

@Sinner said:

balance matters even without ANY form of ranking system tho. The problem is that a game being asymmetrical means that balance will always be more complicated.

Aye its so difficult to balance but randomly dc'ing because you failed at a chase or about to get 2nd hooked and get salty should be punished and put with killers who dc after 2 minutes or lobby dodge

• Ryuhi

@TeambossFloze said:

@Ryuhi said:

@Sinner said:

Aye its so difficult to balance but randomly dc'ing because you failed at a chase or about to get 2nd hooked and get salty should be punished and put with killers who dc after 2 minutes or lobby dodge

Lobby dodging is not even in the same realm as the other examples. It needs to be addressed in a different manner, especially since there is no way to remove specific people from lobbies currently (i.e that one survivor with a red ping.)

Separating queues any more than they already are would only make that particular issue even worse, ironically. Its the main reason why many people think having a separate queue for SWF and letting killers choose whether to allow them is a bad idea, for example.

• PigMainBigBrain

@TeambossFloze said:

@PigMainBigBrain said:

@TeambossFloze said:

I mean they have perks like borrowed time, but people who camp near hooks for the quick grab RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KILLERS FACE WITHIN 3 SECONDS OF HOOKING THEM don't carry those perks. They aren't trying to actually save the other survivor, and most of the time it ends up working against the person being saved because the person saving will just duck and hide, while the killer is tracking scratch marks. ######### I'd even go for putting that control on the person being saved and having some survivor perk where after being unhooked you leave no scratch marks and no blood stains for 15 seconds or something.

YEah I mean more like..if im camping persay - and I see a survivor close by - I wont chase him i'll stay by the hook because I already know his/her intention.

If you flag up survivors that are close then im going to camp the hook even harder, or do you mean it as a survivor perk to enable a more co-ordinated attack?

I do think more protection to the hooked survivor is needed, if killer is in x distance from survivor then the bar diminishes slower, but if you try and escape you get penalised more. I think it'd be better to encourage safe hooks more so though

Something, either a survivor perk, or a killer perk, or just built into the game, that either has the killer punish the hook camper. Rewards the killer for not camping. Adds more risk for the survivor unhooking within close proximity of the killer, or guarantees more safety for the person being unhooked that they can equip themselves. Anything to lower the overall toxicity and bad feels which spiral into rage quits and DC's.

• TeambossFloze

@Ryuhi said:

@TeambossFloze said:

@Ryuhi said:

@Sinner said:

Lobby dodging is not even in the same realm as the other examples. It needs to be addressed in a different manner, especially since there is no way to remove specific people from lobbies currently (i.e that one survivor with a red ping.)

Separating queues any more than they already are would only make that particular issue even worse, ironically. Its the main reason why many people think having a separate queue for SWF and letting killers choose whether to allow them is a bad idea, for example.

I do accept this will split up the player base and make lobby waits longer - I digress if you wait 5 min for a match 1-2 mins for loading etc and then killer quits after 4 minutes... and game ruined...or you wait for a flat 7 minutes, two minutes longer to get in a game with a fairly solid feeling that its going to go the duration?

saying that ending up in low prio is as a deterrent more than anything, it works a dream in Dota2 - but then there are million + more players so I do understand, but as stated about it stops me quitting a game in Dota for fear of ending up in a low prio bracket.

• Ryuhi

@TeambossFloze said:

@Ryuhi said:

@TeambossFloze said:

@Ryuhi said:

@Sinner said:

I do accept this will split up the player base and make lobby waits longer - I digress if you wait 5 min for a match 1-2 mins for loading etc and then killer quits after 4 minutes... and game ruined...or you wait for a flat 7 minutes, two minutes longer to get in a game with a fairly solid feeling that its going to go the duration?

saying that ending up in low prio is as a deterrent more than anything, it works a dream in Dota2 - but then there are million + more players so I do understand, but as stated about it stops me quitting a game in Dota for fear of ending up in a low prio bracket.

you're also forgetting Dota2 isnt asymmetrical: There are many things that can make the game incredibly undesirable for one side, who is also outnumbered. While many of these things can be the killer player being cowardly/cautious/whatever you want to call it, they can also be legitimate concerns in regards to things like latency. Survivors can very easily nope out of a lobby if their ping is bad, but again there is currently nothing in place to allow killers to remove individual survivors due to poor connections.

• Sinner
    edited January 2019

I have a great idea for SWF that I didn't share on the forums yet. It involves letting the killer now when they are facing SWF but with a twist. They can't use their ultra rare addons vs solo survivors, however they have an unlimited supply at their disposal vs SWF. This will make killers not dodge SWF, if they want to use their ultra rares and make games vs solo survivors more balanced. It's on topic since it's the solo survivors that are rage quitting.

• TeambossFloze

@Ryuhi said:

you're also forgetting Dota2 isnt asymmetrical: There are many things that can make the game incredibly undesirable for one side, who is also outnumbered. While many of these things can be the killer player being cowardly/cautious/whatever you want to call it, they can also be legitimate concerns in regards to things like latency. Survivors can very easily nope out of a lobby if their ping is bad, but again there is currently nothing in place to allow killers to remove individual survivors due to poor connections.

I know full well that Dota is not asymmetrical, im sorry buddy but i'm not understanding what you are saying in this particular post could you reword it?

• TeambossFloze

@Sinner said:
    I have a great idea for SWF that I didn't share on the forums yet. It involves letting the killer now when they are facing SWF but with a twist. They can't use their ultra rare addons vs solo survivors, however they have an unlimited supply at their disposal vs SWF. This will make killers not dodge SWF, if they want to use their ultra rares and make games vs solo survivors more balanced. It's on topic since it's the solo survivors that are rage quitting.

horrible idea

• Sinner

@TeambossFloze said:

@Sinner said:

horrible idea

How so?

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@Sinner said:

Some Killers, not all would still dodge. We have seen posts on this forum of Killers who derank to 15 and still dodge swf. It isn't about being competitive. Some just can't enjoy the game unless they escape or getting a 4k.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

I agree, punishing Disconnects is not ideal.

I think people forget that most disconnects do not come from ragequits, etc.

There's a 13 year old kid who got told to get off the PS4 because his brother wants a turn.

Or me, who's roommate asking me to drive her to work mid-game.

Or a college student who forgot they had class

Or an angry sister who unplugged the router entirely out of petty

Or the Dad who's baby just woke up crying.

I am not fond of punishing disconnections. It is counter productive

• TeambossFloze

@Sinner said:

@TeambossFloze said:

@Sinner said:

horrible idea

How so?

I just hate ultra rares in general. :)

• Sinner

@fcc2014 said:

@Sinner said:

Some Killers, not all would still dodge. We have seen posts on this forum of Killers who derank to 15 and still dodge swf. It isn't about being competitive. Some just can't enjoy the game unless they escape or getting a 4k.

Yeah so with this change, less killers would be dodging cause they'll have ultra rares as incentive.

• TeambossFloze

@fcc2014 said:

@Sinner said:

I would say its more the embarrassing feeling of being trolled cos that's how it feels against 4 on point good survivors, whether they in SWF or solo...its a ######### feeling when you just get screwed over by survivors and taking the mickey out of. And no one wants to feel that way therefore they just quit once some claudette is tbagging with her torch behind a pallet ...its like ..I don't need to deal with this - alt+f4

• Sinner

@TeambossFloze said:

@fcc2014 said:

@Sinner said:

I would say its more the embarrassing feeling of being trolled cos that's how it feels against 4 on point good survivors, whether they in SWF or solo...its a ######### feeling when you just get screwed over by survivors and taking the mickey out of. And no one wants to feel that way therefore they just quit once some claudette is tbagging with her torch behind a pallet ...its like ..I don't need to deal with this - alt+f4

I disagree, I think most swf games would be manageable with ultra rares, plus you can use mori and adjust your perks and pick your killer accordingly. But I respect your opinion.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

let me get this straight ok on both sides we can't dc that's a given.But we can't suicide on hook or go afk as the killer? what with all these rules in a game with the ranking system don't matter it no even a ranking system we don't get anything for hitting rank 1.it was for better match making which is flawed. the other day I a solo survivor got in a match with a rank 13 12 and 15 survivors and rank 15 killer and I'm rank 6 survivor yes I got out but how that fair match making?

• Sinner
    edited January 2019

@NekoGamerX said:
    let me get this straight ok on both sides we can't dc that's a given.But we can't suicide on hook or go afk as the killer? what with all these rules in a game with the ranking system don't matter it no even a ranking system we don't get anything for hitting rank 1.it was for better match making which is flawed. the other day I a solo survivor got in a match with a rank 13 12 and 15 survivors and rank 15 killer and I'm rank 6 survivor yes I got out but how that fair match making?

yup
    DC = symptom
    Rank System = disease
    Ban system = palliative