Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So you want a Second Objective?; An Alternative to Pressing M1!

Comments

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    edited February 2019

I'll try to use some water on this fire:

@Paddy4583 is stating that to use parts is practically a side quest to repair generators (not "part-generator" or "flat-generator", simply: generators). That is correct, because one can repair them faster through the accomplishment of the side quest, but it's not needed for completion.
    Repairing generators without collecting any part is not a side quest: survivors can't escape without repairing generators, it's a main objective.

@AlwaysInAGoodShape instead is arguing that to complete flat generators is a side quest as much as completing part generators, because survivors don't need one more than the other. Could be true, but it's actually a strawman, because Paddy was simply stating that the main set "generators" is required, if those generators are pertaining the subset "flat" or "part" was not under discussion.

Now kiss.

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Your idea is a side quest as we already discussed, because it doesn’t need to be done in order to complete the main objective, you then attempted to be clever and reduce the current game to a singular person not doing the objective and stilll being able to open the gates.

which we both know is a diversion because SOMEONE has to do it if people want to escape.

So you call doing flat generators in my version of the game also side-questing then, since you don't have to do it, which is the basis on why they will no longer bother? 😂

Again you fail
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301
    edited February 2019

@Edys

So you understand that there are separate routes (in this case 2) but there could be infinite. Now depending on the strength of a route, people would start to use it more often or less often, all based on the numbers.

Now imagine this:
    Generators take 1000 seconds to repair; you need to repair 5.
    Adding a part gives you a multiplier that equals removing 199 seconds from that generator (up to 995 = a 5 second generator).

See how route B is superior and how doing flat gens is (basically gamethrowingly) bad?
    Route A is still not a side-quest. It's just a slow way of doing the main objective.

What is a stronger route is determined by the numbers.
    What is a side-quest is determined by what it contributes to. Route A in this example is still doing the main objective and neither routes are mandatory.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2 said:
    More importantly I think this suggestion misses the point of why additional required objectives are wanted.

The whole reason why it would help is because we want to slow the game down, but we don't want to increase generator times further, the solution is to give things besides generators that need to be done. However if they DON'T need to be done then either you still have to increase generator time or you haven't slowed down the game at all

It doesn't miss any point. Is sets in place the structure to nerf separate routes and provides a more functional system for in the late-game, that no longer requires us to have a replacement of the game the moment it starts malfunctioning (called the hatch).

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2

You definition of a flat generator is flawed. Right now if I do a generator with a toolbox then that generator will take less than 80 seconds, if the killer kicks the generator then it will take more than 80 seconds ect ect ect

But you do still understand what a flat gen is right, nonetheless? I assume you even correctly understood that using a repair box still is doing a flat gen, where as Paddy failed to understand anything about it.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Again we weren’t talking about your version stop changing the topic in order to dig yourself out of a hole.

No we were talking about the version with my Part system.

Why the hell would we be talking about the base game and how you have to do gens in the base-game? There is literally one route there xD

You're creating imaginary opponents. No one says you don't have to do gens in the base-game.
    What is said is that in my version you no longer have to do flat gens.

• Paddy4583

@NuclearBurrito2

You definition of a flat generator is flawed. Right now if I do a generator with a toolbox then that generator will take less than 80 seconds, if the killer kicks the generator then it will take more than 80 seconds ect ect ect

But you do still understand what a flat gen is right, nonetheless? I assume you even correctly understood that using a repair box still is doing a flat gen, where as Paddy failed to understand anything about it.

I’m not bowing to your redefinition of what Everyone just refers to as gens, there is no need for a separate definition because I wasn’t talking about your idea as a part of the game, it’s not, and your side quest of collecting parts is defined by its self and doesn’t need me to use your terminology at all.
  • Nobsyde
    edited February 2019

@AlwaysInAGoodShape, a main objective is something that needs to be done. A side objective is something that doesn't need to be done.
    to do a generator (flat, part, whatever): required → main
    to search for parts → not required → side
    to not install parts → not required → side

@Paddy4583 is talking about the first case, you are not considering it because... I don't know why.

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Again we weren’t talking about your version stop changing the topic in order to dig yourself out of a hole.

No we were talking about the version with my Part system.

Why the hell would we be talking about the base game and how you have to do gens in the base-game? There is literally one route there xD

You're creating imaginary opponents. No one says you don't have to do gens in the base-game.
    What is said is that in my version you no longer have to do flat gens.

We were talking about collecting parts as a side quest that only prolongs the main objective of doing gens, not the change to the gens, which is negated by the time it takes to set up with the outlines parts system.

You then stated by my definition that gens are not required to be done so could be classed as a side quest, then you edited the comment after I replied, 

but you already know this. 
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Edys said:
    @AlwaysInAGoodShape, a main objective is something that needs to be done. A side objective is something that doesn't need to be done.

@Paddy4583 is talking about the first case, you are not considering it because... I don't know why.

You don't have to sit on a flat generator (vanilla way).
    Doing a generator =/= doing a flat generator.
    If you add parts to a generator and finish it you are still doing a generator (the main objective) but you are no longer playing the vanilla route of finishing flat generators.

Did you understand my example?

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583
    @Edys

Maybe applying the example will make you understand that in a multi route, neither routes are mandatory;

Generators take 1000 seconds to repair.
    You need to repair 5.
    You can collect parts which translate to removing 199 seconds off of that generator, meaning that if you have 5, you only have to do 5 seconds of generator repair time.

Now you can choose. Will you sit on the generator for 1000 seconds or will you collect 5 parts before finishing that generator?

• Nobsyde
    edited February 2019

@AlwaysInAGoodShape , I fully understand what you are saying, are you sure you are reading me correctly, though?

We're saying exactly the same thing, so why don't you understand @Paddy4583 / @NuclearBurrito2 point? They are simply saying that at the end of the day you are still doing generators, if you call them flat or part or rainbow or unicorn, they still are generators.
    Yes nuclear used the word flat generator differently from what you do, but that's just a problem of misunderstanding, it's obvious what he's referring to the fact that "you still have to press m1 to do a generator". I'm not saying I agree with him, but that's it.

Don't argue for the sake of arguing come on :D

• Paddy4583
    Edys said:

Exactly! 
    He knows this though, but will continue to turn the conversation to fit his narrative, it’s his process, like how he starts referring to his ideas as a collective so it looks like he’s speaking on behalf of others, referring to himself as we and our.
  • Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Edys said:

You don't have to sit on a flat generator (vanilla way).
    Doing a generator =/= doing a flat generator.
    If you add parts to a generator and finish it you are still doing a generator (the main objective) but you are no longer playing the vanilla route of finishing flat generators.

Did you understand my example?

The example wasn’t hard to follow, but I define it as an unneeded side quest and not a secondary objective!! That hasn’t changed  
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Edys said:
    @AlwaysInAGoodShape , I fully understand what you are saying, are you sure you are reading me correctly, though?

We're saying exactly the same thing, so why don't you understand @Paddy4583 / @NuclearBurrito2 point? They are simply saying that at the end of the day you are still doing generators, if you call them flat or part or rainbow or unicorn, they still are generators.

Don't argue for the sake of arguing come on :D

That's not what I'm doing. So I assume you collected parts in my examples right?
    Why did you not do the flat gens? You literally stated that that was mandatory?

What I've been pointing out is that everything is determined by the numbers and neither routes are mandatory, neither are they side-quests. They are simply 2 interrelated ways through which you can complete the main objective, with different pro's and cons.

The only basis on which one route gets chosen over the other is to what degree that is stronger under said conditions, which may vary throughout the match.

Which is why you just saw what you believed to be a mandatory route becoming a "side-quest".

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Paddy4583

So did you collect the parts or did you do a 1000 second gen?

• Nobsyde

@AlwaysInAGoodShape - no one is talking about your definition of flat generators, trust me. Everyone is talking about simply generators: they are the main objective. how you do them is a different story.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Edys said:
    @AlwaysInAGoodShape - no one is talking about your definition of flat generators, trust me. Everyone is talking about simply generators: they are the main objective. how you do them is a different story.

Yes, the name for doing them with parts is a Part-Generator. Doing it the vanilla way is a flat generator. That is literally what we are talking about.

• Sure, at the end of the day, with this system you’re still doing generators to power an exit gate to get out whilst evading a killer. But this proposition isn’t exactly a secondary objective to make the game more interesting but an addition to the main objective to make it considerably more interesting. Using the MOBA examples, in Smite you don’t have to kill a fire giant to win the game, but killing that fire giant gives a VERY nice boost to the team. The parts here are like the fire giant then. Sure you wouldn’t NEED to do it, but it certainly helps.
  • Nobsyde

language is consensus - when WE say "generators", we are talking about both generators with or without parts.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Edys said:
    language is consensus - when WE say "generators", we are talking about both generators with or without parts.

how you do them is a different story.

Literally all I'm doing is using 2 words to distinct between the 2 ways someone does generators and you reject it xD
    How you do them is INDEED the story!;

Doing generators = Doing Flat generators + doing Part-Generators

when WE say "generators", we are talking about both generators with or without parts.

Nobody disagrees with that xD
    Which is why I say FLAT generators when I say that doing so is now optional, but you called it mandatory.

• Nobsyde

I'm not rejecting your definition, at all, I'm just pointing out that they were not using it when talking about "...still doing generators..."
    There are 3 definitions right now:

• generator: the metal machine that needs to be fixed in order to escape
    • flat generator: a generator without any add-on installed on it
    • part generator: a generator with parts installed on it

They are talking about generators.

If you still disagree... I honestly can't explain this better :D

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

i think what paddy means is for an actual second objective besides working on gens in any capacity. such as perhaps a pc that you need to find access codes for in lerys/the game in order to escape etc

• NuclearBurrito2
    NuclearBurrito2 Member Posts: 262

@AlwaysInAGoodShape said:

@NuclearBurrito2 said:
    More importantly I think this suggestion misses the point of why additional required objectives are wanted.

The whole reason why it would help is because we want to slow the game down, but we don't want to increase generator times further, the solution is to give things besides generators that need to be done. However if they DON'T need to be done then either you still have to increase generator time or you haven't slowed down the game at all

It doesn't miss any point. Is sets in place the structure to nerf separate routes and provides a more functional system for in the late-game, that no longer requires us to have a replacement of the game the moment it starts malfunctioning (called the hatch).

That's great and all. I'm not saying this suggestion doesn't have any merit. But at the end of the day you still are left with the fact that you have to slow down the game somehow and this part system simply doesn't do that.

There are ways we COULD do that (such as making generators require at least 1 part) but until I can say that in order to escape you must do gens, open the gates AND x the issue will still be there. 7 minutes just isn't enough time to kill everyone and that would be the amount of time for a singe person to do all of the gens AND open the gate (not counting travel time but also THAT IS JUST 1 PERSON WORKING ON GENS WHEN THERE ARE 4 SURVIVORS!)

Survivors can escape via the gate in 2 minutes without any perks or tools not counting travel time assuming they don't get chased at all. (80 seconds per gen*5 gens = 400 seconds, 400/4 survivors = 100 seconds + 20 seconds to open the gate = 120 seconds)

If you were to instead place 3 part crafting stations around the map which require 20 seconds to build and install into a generator and is required to do on every generator and then a power cell station in the basement which takes 10 seconds to acquire before opening a gate then that would be

(100 seconds per gen *5 gens = 500 seconds 500/4 = 125 seconds + 30 seconds to open the gate = 155 seconds)

Stuff like that. Having it so you could if you wanted to KEEP building parts and installing them for the mechanics you mentioned in the OP then that is no problem

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Edys said:
    I'm not rejecting your definition, at all, I'm just pointing out that they were not using it when talking about "...still doing generators..."
    There are 3 definitions right now:

• generator: the metal machine that needs to be fixed in order to escape
    • flat generator: a generator without any add-on installed on it
    • part generator: a generator with parts installed on it

They are talking about generators.

If you still disagree... I honestly can't explain this better :D

Your definitions are correct.
    But they are not talking about generators. Because doing generators is not 1 thing, as you've clearly pointed out yourself.
    They are talking about flat generators.
    In the vanilla game there's no need to distinguish between the 2 since doing a generator is practically the same since there are no other options.

They are saying that doing flat generators is mandatory. Not that doing a generator is mandatory;

You literally state here that doing the parts IS NOT a side-quest!

• Nobsyde

@AlwaysInAGoodShape what they are stating is that to do a flat generator or a part generator, is still doing a generator. If you don't believe me, ask them :D

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Maelstrom10 said:
    i think what paddy means is for an actual second objective besides working on gens in any capacity. such as perhaps a pc that you need to find access codes for in lerys/the game in order to escape etc

I understand that.

But their claim is that when having 2 routes through which you can complete the main objective, 1 could be called a "side-quest", which is a false claim.

• Paddy4583

@Paddy4583

Neither because it’s hypothetical, and 1000 second gen wasn’t your intital proposal.
    You really shouldn’t change your proposal halfway through in order to force your idea as the better alternative, it’s deceptional.

Adding a different way to do the same thing isn’t a secondary objective, As many people have already stated, no one would really bother because it’s unnecessary and as most people have already said, increasing gen times isn’t something people want, you know this which is why in your OP you never suggested the current gen time would be increased.

you stated you could decrease gen time by finding/making parts at designated areas.

Add that time to the time reduced doing the gen with parts and you haven’t gained anything, and like many have said this wouldn’t work of benefit solo players.

if secondary objectives are added it can’t be around the gens, and needs to be end game or early game, not just another way to do what we already have to.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Edys said:
    @AlwaysInAGoodShape what they are stating is that to do a flat generator or a part generator, is still doing a generator. If you don't believe me, ask them :D

What does this have to do with side-questing again? Nobody contests this claim.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583 said:
    AlwaysInAGoodShape said:

@Paddy4583

Neither because it’s hypothetical, and 1000 second gen wasn’t your intital proposal.
    You really shouldn’t change your proposal halfway through in order to force your idea as the better alternative, it’s deceptional.

Adding a different way to do the same thing isn’t a secondary objective, As many people have already stated, no one would really bother because it’s unnecessary and as most people have already said, increasing gen times isn’t something people want, you know this which is why in your OP you never suggested the current gen time would be increased.

you stated you could decrease gen time by finding/making parts at designated areas.

Add that time to the time reduced doing the gen with parts and you haven’t gained anything, and like many have said this wouldn’t work of benefit solo players.

if secondary objectives are added it can’t be around the gens, and needs to be end game or early game, not just another way to do what we already have to.

Ah, but you're discussing which main route is META now. Not that either one of them is side-questing.
    If you want to debate which one is META then I'm all in for that (:
    I've been waiting for you to realise that the 2 are different.

• Nobsyde

What does this have to do with side-questing again?

Repairing a generatorMAIN quest
    Repairing a part generator → alternative route to complete the main quest, which requires the completion of a side quest (...producing and installing parts)
    Repairing a flat generator → main route to complete the main quest, which does not require anything aside from the generator.

...that said, the real point was not this meta-discussion, but the fact that @NuclearBurrito2 wanted a real alternative objective :P

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583 said:
    AlwaysInAGoodShape said:

@Paddy4583

Ah, but you're discussing which main route is META now. Not that either one of them is side-questing.
    If you want to debate which one is META then I'm all in for that (:

For clarity; I have not changed my stance on your additional option as being a side quest. so when I’m talking about the addition of or obtaining of parts, I’m still referring to it as a side quest.

And I’ve also not changed my stance from my original comment of people not doing this side quest, which is clearly explained in the above!

Your idea is nothing more then adding a third door and telling survivors it’s but now you have the option of 3 doors and not 2, but to open the third door you need to find a handle and 3 fuses and a battery and install them, but after that it opens instantly.

Okay it’s something extra in game, but it’s not a secondary objective, and it really doesn’t add anything new to the game play.

I can’t speak for everyone, but as a survivor when I say secondary objectvive, I mean new and different Things to do not additional steps or ways to do what we already have.
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Edys

Again you state that a flat generator is the main route, yet in my example you would never pick it. What makes it "main" if it can be completely avoided and never used?

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4582

Paddy, so in the example it is a "side-quest" that you would ALWAYS do? Doesn't really sound like side-questing. Nobody would be doing flat gens. (Might sound like side-questing but still isn't).

And I’ve also not changed my stance from my original comment of people not doing this side quest, which is clearly explained in the above!

That is a META statement more than it is a side-quest statement. In my example you always picked the parts, thus doing flat gens is side-questing. (your logic)

• Nobsyde

@Edys

Again you state that a flat generator is the main route, yet in my example you would never pick it. What makes it "main" if it can be completely avoided and never used?

I already said why:
    it " does not require anything aside from the generator."

while for the part generator:
    it " requires the completion of a side quest (...producing and installing parts)"

But I'm gonna be honest, I simply don't care if one route is main, side or whatever. I can agree to call everything as you wish, it really doesn't matter for the sake of the discussion, that is how your proposal is (or is not) flawed.

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4582

Paddy, so in the example it is a "side-quest" that you would ALWAYS do? Doesn't really sound like side-questing. Nobody would be doing flat gens. (Might sound like side-questing but still isn't).

That is a META statement more than it is a side-quest statement. In my example you always picked the parts, thus doing flat gens is side-questing. (your logic)

What example are you talking about, your trying to argu your point like DBD doesn’t exist. 
    We already have the standard game, your idea would be an addition to the main objective which isn’t required hence making it by my definition a side quest.

what your attempting to do is suggest we pretend both ways have always coinsided as optional ways to complete the main objective, that argument is pointless because it isn’t and never will be the case, and o would still see the collecting and making of parts as a side quest, because it’s not required to compete the main objective!

What your not seeing, is to get out someone needs to do gens, but no one would need to collect parts ever, it would be purely optional.
    This isn’t the case for gens, someone has to do them in order for an escape to happen!

There is no Meta argument, because it’s hypothetical and anything said can be countered by another hypothetical situation.
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Edys

Just a question; What do you mean by mandatory and what do you mean by "main objective?"

The main objective is completing this bar: 400 seconds (+20 sec gate-time x2) = 420 minimally/440 maximally.

When you do a flat gen, you are simply progressing +80 at a certain location.
    When you do are creating parts and work on a gen you are also doing +80 but at different locations, but that 80+ gets awarded under a certain condition.

Both progress the main objective bar. (Which is not the same as a collective generator bar; this bar is literally everything that you require for an escape)

Now you understand the 420 main objective bar, why does sitting at a certain location longer make adding to that bar more "main" then the other? Isn't everything that adds to this 420/440 bar the main objective and everything that doesn't isn't?

Which is why sabotaging for example isn't the main objective but both a Part-gen and flat gen are
    What does;

does not require anything aside from the generator.

Is trying to score a goal in a football match not doing the main objective, simply because they aren't doing generators? If you told a footballer that, they would tell you that you're crazy; what is inherent about scoring goals and winning the match?
    The same goes for DBD; Escaping is the goal. Nothing else is inherent to it. If you replace generators with socks, then people completing socks would still be doing the main objective, whether they do generators or not.
    Sitting at a certain location for longer has no special importance on making something more "main" then something else.
    The only thing that makes it main is that through SUCH THING ALONE you can complete your end-goal.

But I'm gonna be honest, I simply don't care if one route is main, side or whatever. I can agree to call everything as you wish, it really doesn't matter for the sake of the discussion, that is how your proposal is (or is not) flawed.

Correct. a discussion about balance is a separate topic and involves what people believe to be the desired numbers. (Or whether something is systemically flawed, like the legion).

But the claim that in a game where you can complete the bar through 2 different methods purely, to call 1 of the 2 a side-quest has very wrong implications, suggesting that something structurally makes it not part of completing the main objective and can therefore inherently not serve as an alternative experience, similar to how sabotaging and such alternatives are ignored for the sakes of them not being main objectives.

To understand that in a multi-route main objective system both routes render the other not purely mandatory, but collectively form the pool of what IS mandatory, is crucial to understand, as that explains that it is indeed the relation ship between the 2 (/3/4/etc.) that decide on whether it will be used a lot or not, and as demonstrated by the example, the relationship between the 2 can render both sides non-existent.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

What your not seeing, is to get out someone needs to do gens, but no one would need to collect parts ever, it would be purely optional.

So you acknowledge the Part route as distinct from the vanilla route, thus you acknowledge doing flat gens being distinct from doing Part-gens.

Now you still call doing part gens optional and therefore a side-quest. Do you still not notice how doing flat gens also has become an optional "side-quest?"

META is what matters. The idea of side-questing is wrong.

• Nobsyde

@AlwaysInAGoodShape I really have no more energy to entertain this meta-discussion about what is and what is not a side objective, I think it's a waste of both our times, or at least it is of mine, sorry :D.

That being said, I would appreciate your opinion on this post:

@Edys said:
    [..CUT..]
    In fact I think you can easily see what would happen in a swf game: once a couple of gens are done, one player can distract the killer by either chasing or even doing generators, while the other 3 build parts and insta-repair every generator, like an invasion of locusts. You have to imagine something stronger than 3 brand new parts for the entirety of the game, that's really too much.

>

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Edys said:
    @AlwaysInAGoodShape I really have no more energy to entertain this meta-discussion about what is and what is not a side objective, I think it's a waste of both our times, or at least it is of mine, sorry :D.

That being said, I would appreciate your opinion on this post:

@Edys said:
    [..CUT..]
    In fact I think you can easily see what would happen in a swf game: once a couple of gens are done, one player can distract the killer by either chasing or even doing generators, while the other 3 build parts and insta-repair every generator, like an invasion of locusts. You have to imagine something stronger than 3 brand new parts for the entirety of the game, that's really too much.

>

If installing parts take even slightly longer than doing the gens flat (if the killer is distracted) then it shouldn't be an issue, because the generator isn't going "instantly".
    The idea of it going instantly is only relevant to the degree a killer can regress a generator. A distracted killer can't.

(Also, collecting parts should always last longer than doing flat gens, because if their completion time is EVEN, then doing parts is always superior as it has more benefits, through ratio's between parts could change.)

• Nobsyde
    edited February 2019

If installing parts take even slightly longer than doing the gens (if the killer is distracted) then it shouldn't be an issue, because the generator isn't going "instantly".
    The idea of it going instantly is only relevant to the degree a killer can regress a generator. A distracted killer can't.

Installing a part: 5 seconds (which one can do at any time and can't be regressed)
    Repairing a gen alone with 5/5 parts: 10 seconds.
    3 people on the same gen: ≈ 4 seconds.

That is insta-repairing, because it doesn't matter if one needs 50 cumulative seconds to produce 5 parts (not considering multi-tasking in this, which could reduce this time to 20 seconds), the only thing that matters is that 3 people need to be near a generator for merely 4 seconds.

This is the "insta" repairing I'm referring to.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Edys said:

If installing parts take even slightly longer than doing the gens (if the killer is distracted) then it shouldn't be an issue, because the generator isn't going "instantly".

Installing a part: 5 seconds (which one can do at any time and can't be regressed)
    Repairing a gen alone with 5/5 parts: 10 seconds.
    3 people on the same gen: ≈ 4 seconds.

That is insta-repairing, because it doesn't matter if one needs 50 cumulative seconds to produce 5 parts (not considering multi-tasking in this, which could reduce this time to 20 seconds), the only thing that matters is that 3 people need to be near a generator for merely 4 seconds.

This is the "insta" repairing I'm referring to.

I know. But it's wrong to assume a gen with 5 parts against a part-less generator. What were the survivors doing in scenario B while the other survivors in scenario A were getting the parts? The survivors in scenario B already finished the generator, before the survivors in Scenario A got to do their "insta-gen".

What the part system simply does is, it makes the total time of completing generators longer, but it makes generators harder to defend.
    If generators aren't defended and the killer is distracted, then there's no need to do the generators with parts. It simply puts you behind; otherwise if the killer keeps regressing your generators... then perhaps they should've been getting parts!

Killer not defending Gens?; Do flat gens; (Unless your team is bad; since parts are better for the late-game)
    Killer defending Gens?; Do parts;

The nuance comes from how many parts you think you'll need.

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

So you acknowledge the Part route as distinct from the vanilla route, thus you acknowledge doing flat gens being distinct from doing Part-gens.

Now you still call doing part gens optional and therefore a side-quest. Do you still not notice how doing flat gens also has become an optional "side-quest?"

META is what matters. The idea of side-questing is wrong.

No because it doesn’t involve anything apart from doing the main objective!! Completing a gen! the side quest isn’t to completing of a gen it’s the making and or colecting of parts as I’ve stated over and over again, but you opt to avoid tthis because you know it fits the definition of a side quest. 

The Meta would be do a gen as is, it would take more than 80seconds to make/find install 5 parts, because it involves a side quest!!

Now if we run tool boxes, speed increasing perks we’ve already obliterated the hen in half the time it’s taken to get 3 parts on a gen, so why would you bother?

Que the hypothetical situation where you would definitely do it, or change the definitions and or situation in 3,2,1
  • Nobsyde

you're not understanding: if the game has an organized swf team, they need around 30 seconds to prepare a generator to be insta-repaired, without getting noticed.

It's not the same of saying "3 survivors need to sit for 30 seconds on a generator", because
    A- a killer can find them and interrupt their progress
    B- the progress can be regressed

In the first case instead the survivors are ninjas, and nothing can be regressed.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Paddy4583

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sidequest
    "A quest given to the player that has no direct bearing on the main story/campaign of the game."

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sidequest
    "A quest given to the player that has no direct bearing on the main story/campaign of the game."

I just clicked the link and it described it just as I would:

Side Quests are additional or extra quests that a player can attempt. Side quests are not necessary to complete a game.

strange that
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Edys

Finally someone mentioned it.
    Stealth! is indeed the strength of the part system.

Even though it is already possible for a coordinated SWF to finish a generator without being noticed, many are too lazy to try.

This is why Parts are not as fast as doing flat generators; because it grants that killer extra time to sniff people out.

If the killer doesn't manage to find someone, then the survivors made the right choice for the early game.
    If the killer hears audio from crafting and finds someone in the basement, then that sucks, especially since you don't keep crafting progress when cancelled and now your teammates have committed themselves to a less optimal strategy if their strategy was to rush things.

There are only 3 places where such survivors could be if they weren't doing gens. You'd find them in 3 general area's and if they'd move fast then you'd see scratchmarks.

Their ability to stay hidden simultaneously comes at the cost of slower progression.

If after testing, it is believed that parts are indeed to strong during the early game, then there are 2 possible ways to change that:

1 is to change the ratio between parts
    2 is to change the functionality of parts/the duration of crafting them upon survivor death.

"x upon survivor death" is a very useful way to compensate for otherwise too strong/too weak aspects of anything in this game.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Side Quests are additional or extra quests that a player can attempt. Side quests are not necessary to complete a game.

strange that

Are you stating that my version of the game doesn't have ANY main objectives at all, since flat gens are also not mandatory?

Also, I doubt that you pressed the link:
    A quest given to the player that has no direct bearing on the main story/campaign of the game.

It's really hard to be a side-quest yet simultaneously being the route through which you complete the game xD

• Paddy4583

@Paddy4583

strange that

Are you stating that my version of the game doesn't have ANY main objectives at all, since flat gens are also not mandatory?

Also, I doubt that you pressed the link:
    A quest given to the player that has no direct bearing on the main story/campaign of the game.

You might want to check that statement.
    Though it’s completly irrelevant 
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

So doing a flat gen is a side-quest in my version of the game. That is what you state;
    You claim that there are no main quests/objectives in my version, because you simply are blind to the effects of having multiple routes through which you can complete the main objective.

Skyrim: Side-quest: Marrying someone:
    Skyrim: Main Quest: Finishing Alduin as a mage
    Skyrim: Main Quest: Finishing Alduin as a warrior

See how neither playing the warrior or the mage was mandatory, yet it being you completing the main quest? (:
    Playing the mage is not a side-quest. It doesn't matter whether the mage is stronger than the warrior or the other way around.

This discussion has been closed.