Did they change their mind on giving out event exclusives?

Comments

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

like i said in another thread like wearing a beacon

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

The new Hex: Ruin isn't that bad. Killers REFUSED TO ADAPT. I also wasn't playing this game 3 years ago, so being able to access these skins doesn't sound like that bad of an issue.

I think that there are more pressing issues within the game that should be addressed such as "strategies/tactics" within this game given a free pass by the devs where they would be bannable in any other game. Or the fact that Mori's are just a free de-pip session for everyone involved. Even the inconsistencies between different perks should be looked at before we concern ourselves about in-game character sprites.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

No, it went against what some vocal people on these forums and Reddit wanted. A lot of people here tend to mistake "the Dead by Daylight forum community" for "the Dead by Daylight player base." There are a few hundred of us here, at most. The Steam client alone peaked at 69,480 players inside of the past 30 days, and this doesn't even count other platforms.

We are not representative of the DBD player base as a whole. The fact that we are here, and have taken the time to register on these forums for this specific game so that we can talk to others about it makes us very hardcore outliers, and that does not represent a normal play experience or thought pattern.

Also: I would absolutely believe, sight unseen, that their data has long been telling them Hex: Ruin had a MASSIVE effect on win rates, coming down to whether the totem got cleansed or not. Their only mistake here was not changing it sooner. And, the average player is going to go "cool, some free cosmetics!" Most of them probably don't know or care where they came from originally, and would react with a "huh cool" if you told them.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Who even USES those cosmetics, tho?

Here's a overview of my reaction to the last wave of free cosmetics: Ugly, Ugly, Ugly, Ugly, That'll get me spotted in two seconds, Ugly,Ugly, Oh hey that Donkey Jacket looks alright.

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507
    edited June 2020

Yes because exclusives have worked out so well for them so far, what with giving exclusive cosmetics out at RL events that you could only earn at those RL events. Oh what's that? People are selling the codes for them for hundreds or thousands of dollars online? Oh what's that? Some people are getting scammed because of this? Yes, "exclusives" sure are great and work out so well and never backfire.

Some people who earned their exclusive Legacy don't have it anymore because of loss of progress and they can't ever get it back because BHVR are stubborn (I wasn't one of them, and I luckily haven't ever suffered loss of progress, but that's the problem with having exclusive items and ######### servers). But exclusives are a good idea.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

Bad comparison. It's not just ONE PERSON but the entire community who gets it for free. Imagine you work you ass off and get 10000 bucks. Imagine suddenly everyone gets 10000 for free. I would be pissed about that because I don't get another 10000 bucks while I worked my ass off.

At least make your examples logical correctly.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

Meh.

Honestly it's the natural conclusion to Peanits' statement on why they released these event cosmetics, which was more or less 'we didn't want to disservice the long time players who did earn the outfits and lost them due to bugs and we couldn't find a way to reliably give them all their cosmetics back besides this'.

Personally though I'd say no.

It's a show of thanks from the devs to the people who really loved and supported their game back when it was even more busted than it is now. That shouldn't just be given away for free to every Jane Schmoe that buys the game.

But then I also don't get why it's so impossible to give people back their Legacy when they have steam achievements, videos, screenshots, save files, or livestream VODs showing them with Legacy cosmetics.

• TunnelmeSpirit
    TunnelmeSpirit Member Posts: 1

Wait are they giving people legacy, I read the news board but i didn’t understand it . So are people going to be able to get legacy again?

• DwightOP

I don't think you can see how often someone prestiged, once the achievement is achieved it has his date set and just keeps counting without making different time stamps.

But anyway, at least one piece should be the bare minimum

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

You can see the prestige 1, 2 and 3 achievement dates on steam. So players could be refunded 1/2/3 legacy cosmetics on ONE character based off the achievements.

• RoMainPuppy

That's what they literally did for the first Anni event. That Meg hoodie with the pink jersey? 1st Anni. Yellow Nea top? First Anni. Rose weapon for Nurse? First Anni. People earned it FOR EVERYONE. Even the people who didn't own the game yet or couldn't play during the event.

• RoMainPuppy

Difference is you pay for the pass, all these events were free, all you had to do was buy or own the game. And they're going to eventually release all of the cosmetics (unsure of the charms) to the store for sale anyway. Its' exclusivity is that you get to own the pass items for a while before other players can buy them. Either way, you're forking out cash.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Nah, I can understand people being upset newer players are getting the rewards they worked for. Doesn't mean I think we should be given legacy, but they probably shouldn't have given out the event cosmetics either.

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861

you seem to not understand that codes for these Howling Ground cosmetics are not for sale as code cards such as RL events do NOT exist in the first place. Therefore, these should have remained exclusive to those who earned them.

• ayaya
    ayaya Member Posts: 163

Haven't you seen this coming with rhetoric attached to the ruin nerf? They care mostly about new players that are yet to spend the money not those that already did that.

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

I think it takes away their significance and any reason to actually try and earn them. Pretty sad.

• night_with_you
    night_with_you Member Posts: 21

It is not "someone else" get a lottery prize, but "everyone else" get a lottery prize.

You work hard and get 1000 bucks, and by the end of the day, the boss says that any person who does not work will also get 1000 bucks. I hope you still feel okay with working in such a place

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

Everyone against giving the cosmetics to people that didn't play the event to get a free cosmetic - you are also against them doing sales/lowering price of the full game/DLC/cosmetics(like Lisa) since people bought those first at full price, right? I mean, it's not fair someone paid full price for any of those when they first came out and later on others get them for less/free. If you're that upset over a free cosmetic you must get more upset whenever those price drops happen since that's real money, right?

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I hate that you're almost certainly right. I just wanted to see the BBQ hooks and drinks machines on the gens :(

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I wouldn't. By the time people get that 10k for free, I've already had that 10k for a while.

• Larz02Barz
    Larz02Barz Member Posts: 95

Well it's like when everyone lost legacy they never gave them back which is b.s. to them and event cosmetics should just be exclusive event cosmetics to that event like this tome I'm not getting the cosmetics because I'm barely lvl 20 to 30

• Molotov
    Molotov Member Posts: 4

I've lost 2 legacy 3 survivors, one legacy 2 survivor and a legacy 1 killer. I've emailed them with proof of legacy and got jack. Still don't have it

• Speshul_Kitten

This logic is too much for the devs to handle. I feel that they don’t want to enrage their PC playerbase, the could care less about console players.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

Peanits explained why in the other post. If you don't agree with it, then I would voice your opinion there.

• Emikol
    Emikol Member Posts: 41

My opinion is that they should not give away the old legacy skins it was a tough grind for those with the old bloodwebs. Though many of us have lost ours in that safe file stuff it would be nice if they got that stuff back but I get why it's such a touchy subject and hard for some to prove they had it besides just the achievement link. An alternative might be to just toss them out to those that had the game or achievements before the cutoff but that could be a real pain as well and a lot of extra work so again I get why they don't want to give them back out.

• Hex_Stalk
    Hex_Stalk Member Posts: 488

Do you not understand why people are upset? It's not the fact they "Look good" It's the fact that we WORKED for them, WE grinded. But no, BHVR has to hold the hands of the new players because "they weren't there".

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

Yeah I was a little sad too, I didn't care about the game as much to grind for the David and Huntress cosmetic, but I worked hard earning the BBQ items, and felt special when using em.

oh well, it's their decision ultimately and all it gets rid of is bragging rights tbh.

• Siberia
    Siberia Member Posts: 353

It sucks to have put time and work into earning something, being proud of it being exclusive & knowing you have it, only for it to be given out for free. Kind of a slap in the face.

Alas, the decision has been made. All we can do is hope that in the future, they will be more organized and not make this mistake again.

• BoiltOver
    BoiltOver Member Posts: 118

No, I don't think they should give legacy away for free.

If they want to give it away I think there should be a system equivalent to the grind you had to endure to get them normally. For instance, prestiging like 10 or more times or having an option to change the bloodweb to the old version to experience the legacy grind.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

Aren't the charms the only "exclusive" Rift items? Pretty sure everything else will come to the store to purchase later.

• Speshul_Kitten

They can’t because they’re a source of income. Howling Ground cosmetics are a different story..

• RoMainPuppy

Hey I'm just saying, it's not always been as black and white as everyone's making it.

• Letche
    Letche Member Posts: 96

From my understanding of it, some people had lost their legacy and event items for no reason in an update, to those who are asking why they would just give it out.

I'd like to know, first of all, how this happened to begin with and have they fixed it so that it doesn't. They needed to have some sort of system in place that would be able to tell if you had the item or not so you wouldn't have to prove to them that you owned something, it'd be in their data and you'd be given your ######### back.

Love the hypocrisy in them saying that they weren't going to give out legacy because it means too much to those that earned it. Not that I ultimately care that much, but Kate's songbird top and the propain hammer meant a lot to me because it was my first event in the game and I worked so hard not knowing how to play at the time to get it, I was proud in the effort I made to achieve it. Now it was just given away as a consolation for them not having their ######### together and being able to give things back to people who should have never lost those things in the first place.

• Speshul_Kitten

notice How the devs will merge these post but not others that are similar?

It’s because they don’t care enough to respond, but enough to want the post to die down.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

You had to grind to get some of these things? I already had a few of them and I don't even remember how I got them. Except for the Hallowed Blight ones.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

if legacy ever were rerelease i never wear them.

• DwightOP

Oh yeah exactly, I misunderstood you :D

Yeah exactly what I was saying, at least refund one piece of cosmetic according to achievements. If you ask ME: if someone lost his legacy and had legit achievement before deadline he should get more. For example: lost legacy and legit prestige 1 achievement -> he gets legacy 1 on every character as apology for waiting 3+ years for a refund

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    edited June 2020

Do you realize most of you are complaining because now you will be less "exclusive"? What's the problem with someone else having it too? You will probably get free stuff as well.. what's up with this "if it's free for me it's good, if it's free for someone else I whine about it" attitude? It sounds like a bunch of entitled kids. You complain about the game charging you for cosmetics, you complain when they're free.. when do you not complain?

I have all the event cosmetics that were released since I started playing. I could give 2 dmns about people now getting them for free... I never really paid for them either... I got them as a bonus for playing the game daily... like I do when there's no free bonus anway. Do you even use those cosmetics anyway? lol... cmon, they are from events from 2 years ago... stop being greedy.

• DwightOP

Phew that's 9 legacy pieces! Damn son, that was hell of grindy. Do you roughly remember how long it took you to prestige so much back then? Probably 2 months straight playing everyday 5+ hrs?

• DwightOP

And? I would rather not work and get it for free than work my butt off just to earn it a bit earlier than the rest.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2020

Hey, I think you've missed the point that I'M also part of that "we". I don't mind that the new players get to enjoy the stuff that we got a long time ago. If anything it's kind of like hand-me-downs, "we earned this and it was super cool at the time, but y'know what you can have it now, there are better things that we have that we'd rather use now"

Yeah, I get that we grinded for it. But we grinded for it almost 2 years ago, there's no reason to keep hoarding all this stuff for ourselves when we've already been earning other cosmetics and cool stuff along the way. Let the new guys have access to some more customization options, the game is grindy enough as it is.

• DwightOP
    edited June 2020

Don't give out the event cosmetics to EEEEEEVERYONE.

I understand that people lost it, and you guys just want to give them a way to get it back. But that's not the right approach. There is a better way.

Give these cosmetics only to people who had purchased dbd and played at least one match before/during the event. Everyone else who bought the game after the event has absoluty no right to get these cosmetics.

You are currently pissing off a lot of people and noone is going to take your event cosmetics serious anymore.

Why would someone play during an event when everyone is going full sweat and extra toxic + long lobby Qs if he can just relax and get it for free later on? Stupid. Just stupid.

My idea isn't ideal but certainly better than what you guys are planning to do.

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

What event cosmetics?

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
  • nummycookies
    nummycookies Member Posts: 3

Just want to offer this as a space for everybody to relay their reactions to the latest update/news (posted today?)

"We have made a decision to unlock the following cosmetics for all players on PC & Console.

• The Huntress: Hound Mask (Howling Grounds)
    • David King: Untamed Donkey Jacket (Howling Grounds)
    • Kate: Free Song Bird Slip Dress (Scorching Summer BBQ)
    • The Hillbilly: Pro-Pain Hammer (Scorching Summer BBQ)

While we do understand that some players may feel disappointed by having us award these items to people who may not have taken part in these events, we believe that we do this in the community's best interests.

To put it simply: there is no way for us to verify who earned these items legitimately, as they weren't stored in the same way we currently store items. Since then, we have reworked our storage system and item tracking and made sure that if a similar issue occurs, we should be able to easily restore items.

LEGACY ITEMS

The difference between the Legacy items and the event items is that Legacy was earned before a major rework of the Bloodweb system. To award Legacy to the rest of the community would severely alienate and undermine that part of the community that has been with us since 2016.

We are all too aware that users who earned Legacy and suffered a loss of progress will be incredibly disappointed with this news. To those users: we offer our deepest apologies and hope you understand why this decision has been made.