Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So you want a Second Objective?; An Alternative to Pressing M1!

Comments

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

@Paddy4583 said:
    Mainly because of your continued contribution and we thank you for that xx

What can I say, I'm a likeable guy.

None of this matters though. At the end of the day it's the devs that decide what changes goes in their game. No amount of theories or brainstorming new mechanics is going to change that.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301
    edited February 2019

@NuclearBurrito2 said:

@AlwaysInAGoodShape said:
    @NuclearBurrito2

So if I have all generators with 5 parts, you're saying that I still have 400 seconds left to do? (+the 20/40)

If not then I've indeed been doing the main objective.

no you have 400 charges. We don't measure progress in terms of time and if we did then cleansing ruin totems, opening chests that contain toolboxes, and healing in the case of thanatophobia would all ALSO be doing the main objective.

Ah, so if there exists a key that can be found and you find it, it instantly activates the exit gates, you haven't progressed 400 generator charges generator charges, meaning you've been doing a side-objective and not progressed the main objective?/ or does it mean it simply progressed to the last 20/40 of the objective bar, meaning you just did the biggest part of the main objective?

Spoiler alert: It's the latter. Charges have nothing to do with it. Whether it directly subtracts from the time needed to complete your objective does.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2

and healing in the case of thanatophobia would all ALSO be doing the main objective.

No; it doesn't. Healing adds more time unless your heal is near instant. Only if your heal is near instant and linked to taking out a negative multiplier on generators is it directly advancing the main bar.

• NuclearBurrito2
    NuclearBurrito2 Member Posts: 262

@NuclearBurrito2 said:

@NuclearBurrito2

So if I have all generators with 5 parts, you're saying that I still have 400 seconds left to do? (+the 20/40)

If not then I've indeed been doing the main objective.

no you have 400 charges. We don't measure progress in terms of time and if we did then cleansing ruin totems, opening chests that contain toolboxes, and healing in the case of thanatophobia would all ALSO be doing the main objective.

Ah, so if there exists a key that can be found and you find it, it instantly activates all generators, you haven't progressed because you've done 0 generator charges/ or does it mean it simply progressed to the last 20/40 of the objective bar?

In terms of mechanics that key would need to instantly give the generators 80 charges each. Your parts do not do this nor does it do something that is close enough to say it is that.

Here is the difference: Your parts speed up future progress, this makes them mechanically equivalent to a toolbox

this also means that it becomes less efficient the more progress is made before hand since it isn't retroactive.

However you are conflating this with an absolute boost in progress (which is where you are getting the -15 from)

Before you have started working on a generator there is no difference between the 2 since increasing the speed at which you make progress by 10% will make you complete the gen just as fast as decreasing the required progress by 10%. However once you start working on the generator any future speed bonuses become less meaningful. Toolboxes can seem similar because they repair a finite number of generators and can repair until the equivalent number of charges is reached however they can still have this problem if you don't end up using the entire toolbox. However the amount of charges that get made at the faster speed depends on the amount of progress you have already made on the generator you are installing it in.

Btw increasing the number of charges by 10 and decreasing the required charges by 10 is ALSO mechanically different.

Also I'm not sure why you are so defensive about the whole sidequesting thing, it's not like sidequests are inherently problematic and none of this discussion has actually established if this is a good mechanic or not

I vote we call this an arfleblarg and move on to if it should be added or not

• NuclearBurrito2
    edited February 2019

@NuclearBurrito2

and healing in the case of thanatophobia would all ALSO be doing the main objective.

No; it doesn't. Healing adds more time unless your heal is near instant. Only if your heal is near instant and linked to taking out a negative multiplier on generators is it directly advancing the main bar.

That can be arranged

Hint: instant heal exist in this game for some reason

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2 said:

@NuclearBurrito2

That can be arranged

Good.

Did you notice how Thana hindered the main objective (negative multiplier) while a generator still has 80 charges and not more?;

So you finally understand it now?

If Thana didn't affect generators, but only totems, then even instantly healing wouldn't be directly advancing the main objective.
    The negative multiplier only hinders the main objective when it's affecting the main objective.
    See how Parts (a positive multiplier) in opposition directly progress the main objective?
    55 parts = 25 parts done = 705 = 350 seconds less to do = only 50+20/40 seconds left.

The easiest way to know whether someone has been doing their main objectives is simply by asking how much seconds you still have left to do before you can escape.

• NuclearBurrito2

Anyways, this arfleblarg has it's pros and cons:

The good:

• It indeed makes doing gens with 1-2 people more reasonable
    • Adds more options into what you can do at any given moment

The bad:

• Doesn't do anything to help gen rushes
    • Objectively buffs survivors with no other changes made

Potential improvement:

• Make at least 1 required to repair generators. However make generators require 15 less charges. Make any number changes necessary so the timing numbers remain the same (meaning that a generator should still take at least 80 seconds total to finish without anything nerfing your progress) This helps stop gen rushes as building a part is harder to modify the timing of and only a max of 3 people can make a part at once (2 if you don't want to go to the basement) while an uncoordinated team is less likely to need all 3 at the same time

I'll try to come up with other ideas. While I do think the game needs to last longer I have other idea's for that. If I do it right then it should be possible to reduce the amount of time spent on a generator further while allowing for more interesting decision making. Having some kind of part system is important to having something like that work however

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2 said:

Glad that at least 1 has started to see the obvious :)

The good:

The bad:

Potential improvement:

• Make at least 1 required to repair generators. However make generators require 15 less charges. Make any number changes necessary so the timing numbers remain the same (meaning that a generator should still take at least 80 seconds total to finish without anything nerfing your progress) This helps stop gen rushes as building a part is harder to modify the timing of and only a max of 3 people can make a part at once (2 if you don't want to go to the basement) while an uncoordinated team is less likely to need all 3 at the same time

I'll try to come up with other ideas. While I do think the game needs to last longer I have other idea's for that. If I do it right then it should be possible to reduce the amount of time spent on a generator further while allowing for more interesting decision making. Having some kind of part system is important to having something like that work however

As for your comment;
    I have a post about Death-Efficiency, which is simply about the disproportional drop in total generator efficiency of survivors upon the death of 1 survivor. (You'd expect to lose 25% per death but it's worse)

Link:
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/34870/solution-to-the-death-efficiency-problem-solving-the-games-biggest-issue/p1

I suggest that there's a problem with both gen-rushing and a low survivor count. What happens is that if you prolongue generator times WITHOUT making lower survivor count gameplay possible, then you cannot address the issue and normalise the experience.

Simply nerfing generator time is the worst thing you can do; Nerfing generator time and making the game more survivable for lower-survivor counts is THE solution to one of the core issues of the game.
    I explain how regression is key to making the late-game unplayable. That is why the Part route is basically the elimination of that regression element, without unnaturally altering regression.

So if the late-game is playable (with the Part system we can make it as playable as we want to!) then it is indeed possible to start working on slowing down the base-game, which would lead to:

1: Less 4 man escapes.
    4: Less the game spiralling into 4 K's after 1 survivor dies.

It's a normalised experience.

While I do think the game needs to last longer

Then play around with generator regression (:
    See, we have 2 routes. The B route is slower as we discussed. The A route can be the fastest but it is also possible to experience major regression.

The stronger you make regression, the more tempted people are to start to use part. In the most extreme case: We give the killer to kick a generator to INSTANTLY regress it;

Even with this power the game would still be functional as a 5 part gen only requires the killer to be away for 10 seconds. (about 5-6 seconds if there are 2 survivors on a gen).
    Even though survivors could still gen rush in this extreme example; it would be the killer's misplay as they could've instantly regressed a near 80 seconds of generator.

If you understand the above, then you understand the main way you can nerf and buff things in a multi-route environment;

Through regression, you could accomplish the same as:

Make at least 1 required to repair generators. However make generators require 15 less charges. Make any number changes necessary so the timing numbers remain the same (meaning that a generator should still take at least 80 seconds total to finish without anything nerfing your progress) This helps stop gen rushes as building a part is harder to modify the timing of and only a max of 3 people can make a part at once (2 if you don't want to go to the basement) while an uncoordinated team is less likely to need all 3 at the same time

Early game nerf; late game buff; normalisation.

I'll try to come up with other ideas.

The beauty of the workshops is how many things you can do with them. There are a lot of mechanics that you can attach to it to make it infinitely more dynamic and adding to the gameplay experience;

This picture alone should set the mood:

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Only on on installing, which is why I said crafting/collecting and transporting doesn’t equal doing a gen... but do proceed in telling me how that’s incorrect

No this is how it works:
    When you do a part you simply have 10 seconds of generator time. Which can still be undone/regressed. The moment it's installed it adds + 5 seconds and there's your permanent 15 seconds.

Also running in between what are essentially small generators isn't doing a side-objective. That is also doing the main objective. Otherwise it'd be playing "lava-floor"; as long as you walk you're side-questing.

Nope, potential time is not the same as applied time, or your basically now reducing your idea to having the optional use of tool box, only you have to find one in a chest First. 
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Generator progress on a gen that isn't completed is also potential time, derp.
    If a generator is never finished then it's basically the same as a 0 progression generator.

A generator with 70 second progression is actually less absolute progression than a generator with 5 parts, since the 5 parts are 70 seconds of unregressable progression, unlike the normal 70 seconds, which is 70 seconds of regressable progression and both are denied progression if a generator is never finished.

• NuclearBurrito2

@NuclearBurrito2 said:

Glad that at least 1 has started to see the obvious :)

The good:

The bad:

Potential improvement:

As for your comment;
    I have a post about Death-Efficiency, which is simply about the disproportional drop in total generator efficiency of survivors upon the death of 1 survivor. (You'd expect to lose 25% per death but it's worse)

Link:
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/34870/solution-to-the-death-efficiency-problem-solving-the-games-biggest-issue/p1

I suggest that there's a problem with both gen-rushing and a low survivor count. What happens is that if you prolongue generator times WITHOUT making lower survivor count gameplay possible, then you cannot address the issue and normalise the experience.

Simply nerfing generator time is the worst thing you can do; Nerfing generator time and making the game more survivable for lower-survivor counts is THE solution to one of the core issues of the game.
    I explain how regression is key to making the late-game unplayable. That is why the Part route is basically the elimination of that regression element, without unnaturally altering regression.

So if the late-game is playable (with the Part system we can make it as playable as we want to!) then it is indeed possible to start working on slowing down the base-game, which would lead to:

1: Less 4 man escapes.
    4: Less the game spiralling into 4 K's after 1 survivor dies.

It's a normalised experience.

While I do think the game needs to last longer

Then play around with generator regression (:
    See, we have 2 routes. The B route is slower as we discussed. The A route can be the fastest but it is also possible to experience major regression.

The stronger you make regression, the more tempted people are to start to use part. In the most extreme case: We give the killer to kick a generator to INSTANTLY regress it;

Even with this power the game would still be functional as a 5 part gen only requires the killer to be away for 10 seconds. (about 5-6 seconds if there are 2 survivors on a gen).
    Even though survivors could still gen rush in this extreme example; it would be the killer's misplay as they could've instantly regressed a near 80 seconds of generator.

If you understand the above, then you understand the main way you can nerf and buff things in a multi-route environment;

Through regression, you could accomplish the same as:

Make at least 1 required to repair generators. However make generators require 15 less charges. Make any number changes necessary so the timing numbers remain the same (meaning that a generator should still take at least 80 seconds total to finish without anything nerfing your progress) This helps stop gen rushes as building a part is harder to modify the timing of and only a max of 3 people can make a part at once (2 if you don't want to go to the basement) while an uncoordinated team is less likely to need all 3 at the same time

Early game nerf; late game buff; normalisation.

I'll try to come up with other ideas.

The beauty of the workshops is how many things you can do with them. There are a lot of mechanics that you can attach to it to make it infinitely more dynamic and adding to the gameplay experience;

This picture alone should set the mood:

Correct. This suggestion 100% helps death efficiency issues. Doesn't solve it but it certainly helps. Hence why it is listed under the good.

I just think that as stated right now there are other issues it could be solving that it doesn't. It's a decent suggestion but it could always be better.

The thing about buffing survivors is because giving a situational option will help the survivors in that situation while also not hurting them outside of that situation. Thus I would expect survivor winrate to go up and killer winrate to go down. This is a problem since Killer winrate is too low right now.

No worries however, changes are not made in isolation so it is a simple matter to make further changes to help with balance issues (hence making 1 part per gen 100% required). Again while making a part required if we also decrease the total gen time (not counting parts. The 1 required part means mathematically it is the same time but there is also travel time ect) does counterbalance the potential this change would have to buff survivors it wouldn't nerf them significantly either. However that starts to go beyond the scope of this suggestion, so yeah

• Free_Hugs
    Free_Hugs Member Posts: 304
    I can't believe this thread is still going when Always has admitted, several times, that their suggestion is just doing a gen, but dumb.
  • NuclearBurrito2
    edited February 2019

For other kinds of objectives I'd want added see this link: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/46668/additional-objectives-brainstorm

Basically in my ideal gameplay loop you would:

1: Get parts (using your system or otherwise)
    2: Install those parts into generators (which could actually be SHORTER than now)
    3: Do at least 2-3ish generators (exact number can be decided and then balanced around)
    4: Either A: Continue doing generators until you have done at least 5 B: Find and open the hatch (which would lead into a new area I'm going to call the tunnels instead of an instant escape) or C: Start doing a map specific objective
    5A: Obtain a power cell from the basement. Alternatively complete all 7 generators in the case that the basement is being camped. Doing all 7 generators is a failsafe and not what you actually want to end up doing preferably. The parts system combined with the map specific means camping the killer shack if a generator and the basement both spawn there is not a viable option for the killer
    5B: Obtain 3 power cells from the basement
    5C: Depends on the map. Feel free to help me brainstorm specifics here
    6A: Install the power cell into the gate and then open it like normal. If all generators are repaired then no power cell is needed
    6B: Install each power cell into a handle like the one next to the gate. All 3 must be powered (which mechanically works like the gate) for a door in the tunnels to open. The tunnel door can be used to escape. 1 less power handle thing is needed to escape per dead survivor, with 3 dead survivors the door will open with no charges needed so the final person can use the hatch like they do now
    6C: Escape somehow. Again map dependant

Route A should require a minimum of 440 charges (up from 420)
    Route B should require a minimum of 410 charges and 40 less per dead person but is extremely risky (see link above for details)
    Route C should require a minimum of 500 charges but should be the hardest for the killer to defend due to lack of interaction with perks and no direct regression method

Additionally there should only be 1 gate. But since there are 2 other escape routes that means the killer still can't just camp the gate

Powering all gens to open the gate would take 580 charges and is not what you would want to do

The exact numbers can be altered in various ways.

remember that 1 charge = 1 second without modifiers. We use charges instead of seconds because modifiers exist

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    Free_Hugs said:
    I can't believe this thread is still going when Always has admitted, several times, that their suggestion is just doing a gen, but dumb.
    I admit that water is wet. Doesn't have to do much with the OP.

What you call doing a gens is no longer doing 1 thing.

You can do 2 distinct options one of which the new one does not involve mandated rooting yourself in a position for 80 seconds.
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape
    @NuclearBurrito2

Ill respond to that tomorrow when not on mobile.
  • Free_Hugs

Free_Hugs said:

You can do 2 distinct options one of which the new one does not involve mandated rooting yourself in a position for 80 seconds.

You are correct. It is rooting yourself in for 10 seconds.

Which is still.

DOING A GEN

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    Free_Hugs said:

Free_Hugs said:

You are correct. It is rooting yourself in for 10 seconds.

Which is still.

DOING A GEN

Its more similar to doing a totem than doing a flat gen.

Doing a gen has no meaning since its not 1 thing.
  • PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

Would that mean that Survivors can indirectly repair generators (collect parts) while looping?

Noice!

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@PiiFree said:
    Would that mean that Survivors can indirectly repair generators (collect parts) while looping?

Noice!

If they can afford to stand still 10 uninterrupted seconds while doing so; yes (:

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Free_Hugs said:

The word doing has a different meaning to it than achieving.

The thing you are DOING when you are doing a generator is the same as doing a totem; holding M1.
    Doing a totem and doing a flat generator means you are DOING the same thing, but you achieve something different by DOING the same thing, but somewhere else.

A location is not something you do: "I do a location". It's where you are. When you are in your house you are not "doing a house".

DOING a gen is not the same thing, since you have to DO different things in route A and B. Different actions and inputs in any process means you're DOING something else.
    You may be ACHIEVING the same; which is progressing the main objective. But that's the whole point.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@NuclearBurrito2

To make sure if I understand how I should read it: You mean if you pick 4A then 5A and 6A is the route right? Same goes for 4B, 5B and 6B?

• NuclearBurrito2

@NuclearBurrito2

To make sure if I understand how I should read it: You mean if you pick 4A then 5A and 6A is the route right? Same goes for 4B, 5B and 6B?

Correct. Although just because you start doing one does not mean you can't start doing the other (so doing 4 gens doesn't stop you from doing the hatch and powering one of the hatch cells doesn't prevent you from using the gates later)

• Paddy4583
    AlwaysInAGoodShape said:

Some waffle.
    diversion tactic.
    irrelevant data entry.
    extra focus on new topic to deflect from argument made.
    180 on previous comments.
    Disagree by making false analogy.
    stick to using flawed logic.
    Tell people what they meant.
    Add additional clause to argument in an attempt to now prove original argument wrong.
    add flowers, meat and sticks for good measure.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

Finish 3 gens;

So route A =

Do 2 extra Gens >>> Go to the basement >>> (escape through the exit gates?)

Route B =

Go to the basement to grab 3 things / 3 times?>>> Open and enter the hatch >>> New area.

Route C =

Map dependent.

For Route B:
    So the moment when there are 3 generators finished. (Which is insanely quick as it can often translate in every player only having to do 1 gen. Meaning after doing 1 gen you can grab something in the basement and go inside of the tunnel area.

I don't know what a tunnel area would contribute to game-play; Does it have pallets? Can you return? Can the game afford to do all this and still have things run on console?
    It seems like the idea behind the tunnel only works conceptually. Game-play wise it adds to little for the amount of labour that such a system would require.

With both A and B being so similar it kind of feels like:

Do 3 gens > Go to the basement? ---> no?
    Do 5 gens > Go to the basement? ---> no?
    Do 7 gens > No questions asked.

It has that structural overlap and with that overlap, I cannot see where the meaningful strategical considerations are;
    Why pick route A over B for any other reason than the killer being somewhat close to the basement or not? What makes the choice different? What makes tunnel more risky or what game-play does the tunnel add?

The problem I see with A and B in particular is that they don't interact with each other, meaning that in a solo environment multiple players may be working on a completely different route as the tunnel doesn't progress the 7 gen/the 5 gen. Doing the main objective no longer progresses as 1 bar but as separate.
    Whether the map specific objective would have interactivity with either of the 2 is of course uncertain.

As for map specific objectives; this is cool. Though I don't know how much work that'll be. Different objectives means also more error for balance issues. If you'd want something like it, the better try would be to ask for Realm-specific objectives, with realms that only have 1/2 maps all have the same objective (:

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Still oblivious to the fact that sitting a total of 350 seconds next to a generator inserting charges is no longer mandatory to escaping.

Keep side-questing on flat gens.
    You're the only one that still believes that. Even Nuclear_Burrito2 understands that sitting out the 350 seconds is no longer mandatory.

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019
    AlwaysInAGoodShape said:
    Change the topic and add irrelevant words to convey a false argument that was never made, in order to convince my self I’m correct. Try to drag in others as in an attempt on the false argument in order to make it appear I’m correct.
    State everyone else sees it different, by negating all posts by others, stating the same thing in a different way.
    180’on original argument.
    add word flat gen like it’s a thing!
    Repeat...

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583 said:
    AlwaysInAGoodShape said:
    Change the topic and add irrelevant words to convey a false argument that was never made, in order to convince my self I’m correct. Try to drag in others as in an attempt on the false argument in order to make it appear I’m correct.
    State everyone else sees it different, by negating all posts by others, stating the same thing in a different way.

Seems like someone has given up and is resorting to evasion indeed ^
    You are no longer defining words. You're not quoting anything. Inflating 2 separate things as 1.

And you're still denying that you can complete the game without a flat generator in the version with the parts, aka the 350 seconds.

By your own definition you made doing flat generators being called side-questing since those 70 seconds of you sitting there at that location were not mandatory to escaping and you're as cornered that you can no longer reason, so you just start posting pictures xD

After many many hours, you still don't see how in a multi-route, neither routes are mandatory.
    70 seconds of sitting on a generator inserting charges is not mandatory, neither is doing parts.
    The choice/mix between those paths IS however mandatory.

But I don't expect you to understand this. Maybe you'll have to figure out why people didn't save people on hooks as much during the Moonrise first before you're ready for this one.

• Free_Hugs
    Always, are you aware of what a sealion is?
  • Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

Oh I gave up ages ago, it’s just fun to watch you 180 and argue a point then later agree with it, then argue it all over again but adding in a little bit of something extra...
    bit like your doing now your doing now.

its highly amusing!

Ive started using pictures because you can’t misquote those, and they sum up better than words.

Any way the village has phoned and they want you back....
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Free_Hugs said:

Is this the moment where you tell me you are one?

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019
    Free_Hugs said:
    “Part” sea-lion or “flat” sea-lion, because you see they are both completly different things, like doing a gen and DOING a gen! 

What you don’t understand is it’s not mandatory for the sea lion to be flat so there by it’s no longer a sea lion it’s a stick or a flower, and flowers attract bees, and bees sting, and so do jelly fish, so a sea lion is a jelly fish except when it’s not but then it’s still not a sea lion because meat!
  • AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

“Part” sea-lion or “flat” sea-lion, because you see they are both completly different things, like doing a gen and DOING a gen!

Yes, both are different things.

Scripting a bot that does a flat gen (route A) simply has 1 instruction: Hold M1 for 80 seconds.
    If I had to write the code for a bot doing route B, then the code would be more complex.

If doing a gen was doing 1 thing only, then I should've only needed that first script.
    But as reality checks out; the bots wouldn't be doing the same thing, which is why the script for route B is different from route A.

DOING THE SAME =/= ACHIEVING the same (main objective). (sorry but I lost track of how many times you inflate different things)

• Paddy4583

@Paddy4583

Yes, both are different things.

Scripting a bot that does a flat gen (route A) simply has 1 instruction: Hold M1 for 80 seconds.
    If I had to write the code for a bot doing route B, then the code would be more complex.

If doing a gen was doing 1 thing only, then I should've only needed that first script.
    But as reality checks out; the bots wouldn't be doing the same thing, which is why the script for route B is different from route A.

DOING THE SAME =/= ACHIEVING the same (main objective). (sorry but I lost track of how many times you inflate different things)

The only thing I see inflated is your ego.

I code for a living and I’ll tell you now, if we need a code to achieve a goal, we wouldn’t over complicate the simplistic code for a more complex code with more steps and longer process time... and there’s a reason for that!

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Paddy4583

I code for a living and I’ll tell you now, if we need a code to achieve a goal, we wouldn’t over complicate the simplistic code for a more complex code with more steps and longer process time... and there’s a reason for that!

Avoided the point. Extra points.

If that was supposed to be a rebuttal that doing a generator is no longer 1 mono-process then you failed at that one!

we wouldn’t over complicate the simplistic code for a more complex code with more steps and longer process time

Ha! We are creating gameplay here. Of course the code gets bigger. Only if we didn't create new things to DO would the code have been the same.

• Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Avoided the point. Extra points.

If that was supposed to be a rebuttal that doing a generator is no longer 1 mono-process then you failed at that one!

we wouldn’t over complicate the simplistic code for a more complex code with more steps and longer process time

Ha! We are creating gameplay here. Of course the code gets bigger. Only if we didn't create new things to DO would the code have been the same.

That was never the dispute... You were disputing me referring to the collecting and making of parts as a side quest to doing a gen, that was the argument, but you have gone so far off track and seems only deceived yourself, because you’ve convinced yourself of something entirely different.
  • Paddy4583
    edited February 2019

@Paddy4583

Yes. Side-questing; because it wasn't mandatory.

And neither is doing flat gens you genius. 350 seconds of side-questing you have right there.

Nope see what you’ve done is taken a single word and then fixated on it because you believe that 2 ways of doing a gen makes doing a gen not doing a gen, and makes neither mandatory as a route so they both can’t be side quests.

The point that you always skim past is that, one involves an additional objective the other doesn’t and is the current game. And like I’ve always said I refer to that as a side quest.

Adding additions doesn’t change the current game play or the current objective, it just adds a side step, additional step, side quest, how ever you want to define it, to doing the same thing.

which has been my argument from the start, I have never changed my stance on that.

And you have agreed this already and also agreed it’s still just doing a gen, while at the same time saying they are different and not the same as doing a gen.

But Ill go back to my pictures from now on because you Seem to be “I’m just looking at the pictures!” kinda guy
  • NuclearBurrito2

Finish 3 gens;

So route A =

Do 2 extra Gens >>> Go to the basement >>> (escape through the exit gates?)

Route B =

Go to the basement to grab 3 things / 3 times?>>> Open and enter the hatch >>> New area.

Route C =

Map dependent.

For Route B:
    So the moment when there are 3 generators finished. (Which is insanely quick as it can often translate in every player only having to do 1 gen. Meaning after doing 1 gen you can grab something in the basement and go inside of the tunnel area.

I don't know what a tunnel area would contribute to game-play; Does it have pallets? Can you return? Can the game afford to do all this and still have things run on console?
    It seems like the idea behind the tunnel only works conceptually. Game-play wise it adds to little for the amount of labour that such a system would require.

With both A and B being so similar it kind of feels like:

Do 3 gens > Go to the basement? ---> no?
    Do 5 gens > Go to the basement? ---> no?
    Do 7 gens > No questions asked.

It has that structural overlap and with that overlap, I cannot see where the meaningful strategical considerations are;
    Why pick route A over B for any other reason than the killer being somewhat close to the basement or not? What makes the choice different? What makes tunnel more risky or what game-play does the tunnel add?

The problem I see with A and B in particular is that they don't interact with each other, meaning that in a solo environment multiple players may be working on a completely different route as the tunnel doesn't progress the 7 gen/the 5 gen. Doing the main objective no longer progresses as 1 bar but as separate.
    Whether the map specific objective would have interactivity with either of the 2 is of course uncertain.

As for map specific objectives; this is cool. Though I don't know how much work that'll be. Different objectives means also more error for balance issues. If you'd want something like it, the better try would be to ask for Realm-specific objectives, with realms that only have 1/2 maps all have the same objective (:

Realm specific is close enough

The idea is that the tunnels have a similar risk factor to the basement (1 way in or out not counting the exit door and not enough room to maneuver around the killer)

When I say a new area I don't mean something particularly large, I'd say maybe twice the size of the basement but more stretched out into a few hallways. Since opening the hatch in my idea gives a noise notification it means it is very likely the killer is going to come down, this means you can just open the hatch and leave without using it to distract the killer if you want to.

The hatch is faster, especially if people are dead which is why you would want to use it and I would imagine there would be a latter to get back out of it if needed

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@Paddy4583

The point that you always skim past is that, one involves an additional objective the other doesn’t and is the current game. And like I’ve always said I refer to that as a side quest.

This is not a side-quest.

Anything that directly advances the main goal is NEVER a side-quest. Side-quests are things that are NOT directly progressing your main goal;

420/440 bar to escape.

• NuclearBurrito2

Also I would just have a counter for the tunnel power cell gate things (im'a just call them power stations kay?) that has an animation when it is being used and when it is completed. The killer would not see this

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2

The idea is that the tunnels have a similar risk factor to the basement (1 way in or out not counting the exit door and not enough room to maneuver around the killer)

When I say a new area I don't mean something particularly large, I'd say maybe twice the size of the basement but more stretched out into a few hallways. Since opening the hatch in my idea gives a noise notification it means it is very likely the killer is going to come down, this means you can just open the hatch and leave without using it to distract the killer if you want to.

The hatch is faster, especially if people are dead which is why you would want to use it and I would imagine there would be a latter to get back out of it if needed

Ah, I see. So you want to create a place where the survivor can get trapped in and has to make the consideration of whether committing to it or not?

• NuclearBurrito2

@NuclearBurrito2

Ah, I see. So you want to create a place where the survivor can get trapped in and has to make the consideration of whether committing to it or not?

Bingo.

• NuclearBurrito2

And of course the last person would not be making such a decision as they can just leave straight away

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    edited February 2019

@NuclearBurrito2

Labour-wise I think you wouldn't be able to get away with a multi-hallway tunnel set. Though what you want already exists inside of the game, right?; It's the basement, as you've mentioned.

If you want to create such a pressure spot related to doing an objective, then you could try and remove the batteries from the basement and instead have the basement asset have another door inside leading even deeper inside.
    (The deeper room having the same aesthetics of the basement)
    With such alterations then you might be able to create the type of pressure point you want, while keeping required resources durable.

Dunno, can you see it in front of you?; A basement with another stair-case leading even deeper, made out of basement textures etc?

• NuclearBurrito2

@NuclearBurrito2

Labour-wise I think you wouldn't be able to get away with a multi-hallway tunnel set. Though what you want already exists inside of the game, right?; It's the basement, as you've mentioned.

If you want to create such a pressure spot related to doing an objective, then you could try and remove the batteries from the basement and instead have the basement asset have another door inside leading even deeper inside.
    (The deeper room having the same aesthetics of the basement)
    With such alterations then you might be able to create the type of pressure point you want, while keeping required resources durable.

Dunno, can you see it in front of you?; A basement with another stair-case leading even deeper, made out of basement textures etc?

I would be willing to take that as a compromise. I would prefer BOTH the power cells AND the tunnel to be in a pressure point (with the cells being far faster and thus a bit less risky in comparison), but in the event that doing this isn't possible I am ok with it being part of the basement

• NuclearBurrito2

In regards to aesthetics btw we do have the underground section of larry's (the map with the houses in case I got the name wrong)

• AlwaysInAGoodShape

@NuclearBurrito2

I would prefer BOTH the power cells AND the tunnel to be in a pressure point

What if you replace power cells with, idk, spiderwebs? Meaning that you have to "cleanse" spiderwebs before you can go down the last stairways, meaning you are spending more and more time increasingly deeper inside of the basement? xD

• Paddy4583

@Paddy4583

This is not a side-quest.

Anything that directly advances the main goal is NEVER a side-quest. Side-quests are things that are NOT directly progressing your main goal;

420/440 bar to escape.

Like I’ve said it’s how I define it you can choose to see it differently, it doesn’t negate the fact it is doing a gen with extra steps, and the extra steps not actually resulting in any advancement until you hold M1 at a gen to install it, only then has advancement been made.
    Why this is difficult for you to understand regardless of how you want to define it, is baffaling.
This discussion has been closed.