Distortion - Medium Update

According to the developers -

Dev note: Distortion counters a lot of Perks & Add-Ons. The token system and recharge mechanic makes Distortion far too effective and allows Survivors to go unseen for the entire match.

To limit its effectiveness, we have removed the token system and made it so Distortion only reactivates upon being chased. We have extended the duration slightly to help account for longer aura reading effects to compensate.

A lot of killers already use aura reading builds, especially when weave of attunement came out. Making distortion only work during chases will essentially make this perk useless. Distortion's current system gives survivors a fighting chance to play against killers that either use aura reading builds or have extreme stealth characteristics (the Shape, Onryo, etc.). I strongly ask the developers to reconsider this update, as this would make survivors (new and veteran) not have safeguards against killers that intentionally make playing a match unenjoyable.

Comments

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 1,075
    edited September 15

I also think think is a better idea than the chase ones floating around. Not everyone can be productive during chase. Everybody can do a gen though.

• Wezqu
    Wezqu Member Posts: 46
    edited September 15

You don't need aura prevention in a chase and most likely you lose the perk during the same chase you got it back. The perk becomes pointless as gaining it back would usually mean you losing it almost right away again. Change the perk to reload on unhook so survivor has max 12 tokens for the whole match. This way the person can't hide "forever" and eventually will cause them to get hooked.

This perk has some people really blaming it for everything on it on both sides. Killer go "I can't find this one because I don't see his aura he has to be hiding and not doing anything." Survivors go "He never gets chased because killer does not find him and does no gens." They then only remember the bad Distortion users but never even remember the ones that made them win the match by doing everything than normal survivor does. Some people have this odd mentality that if you are not chased you are not doing anything even if you were chased but killer gave up the chase all the time or you fixed most of the gens and unhooked several. Its not the survivors fault if the killer don't bother try to find them or does not find them and if the killer is so bad that can't find a survivor without aura perks then he does not deserve to find them. Many streamer has created the odd mentality that you as a survivor have to sit on the gen until the killer sees you and then runaway to get chased. I never understood why are you making it so easy for the killer to find you. To me its more beneficial to waste his time while he searches you and if he finds you then get chased as usually if they even bother they would find you. You then wasted more the killers time as he first have to search then you the whole chase if he finds you. I have seen way more survivors who let the killer see them runaway and get downed in under 20 seconds from full health and I see that as more major problem that people hiding.

I feel many people have no real idea how the perk can be used they just see some selfish people using it and its the only thing they remember. People guess what the play style you hate will not vanish because Distortion gets nerfed it will just turn them using lockers and other perks that then will replace Distortion as main reason for them why someone is bad. Don't blame the perk because people use it selfishly.

• Wezqu
    edited September 15

Tying it to chase will kill the perk. Why would anyone use a perk that gives you one use after you get in chase when it most likely will be lost before the chase is done and the new Predator literally would guarantee you to lose it again as it will show you aura when you escape a chase. The perk would become one of the lowest used perks as there is no value gained with the change. It will just make any value you might gain non-existent or very minor.

I myself would let it have the 4 tokens and just make it refill after you get unhooked. That way you will again have four tokens and only can have max 12 tokens the whole match. This way it will not let anyone hide forever but will give good benefit for anyone who uses it. If the killer has two aura perks or add-ons you would lose those four tokens quite fast anyway, but at least it would bring some value to use the perk and now it would work as anti-tunnel perk too and devs love those. Another way to gain tokens when you unhook a survivor. This would give it maybe few more tokens to use too and cause killers to chase the distortion user if they come back to the hook. Way better way to incentive chases than their idea.

Post edited by Wezqu on
  • CleanseThis
    CleanseThis Member Posts: 124

Distortion hard counters from the start of the trial plus 2 more times no matter what.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,553

Bad update. There is a reason some players try to avoid chase.

I sometimes used it and when the killer ran auras (like Huntress) they already chewed through the tokens pretty fast.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 966

I'd say give it back only 3 tokens but they can be recharged when you get chased, the change the developers are going for is overkill.

• Ifocusonyou
    Ifocusonyou Member Posts: 3
    edited September 17

And killers with full aura perk ? If i bring distortion, its to make gen because interact with killer is useless. Why ? good loop are rare, small map, healing, number of pallet nerf, DH nerf, ect… "The reason is crying little fr…ds! The game is full of underage little s and older trolling a******s that need to have an easy 4k game. Gone are the days where players respected the game and strategies. It used to be an amazing community of players and most often last surv got set free. Why? well this created friendships which meant more ppl to play with. Now for some reason those i mentioned feel that they need the 4k as quick as possible to feel any kind of accomplishment. Which in reality lessons everyone's points as well as the killers.

Honestly the Devs listening to these little F******** is killing the game. Its now just empty bs being a rushed game for both parties involved and its getting pointless. No charm or style of any kind. And from what I hear they are nerfing survs perks again and before any butt-hurt killers start crying.. I also main Michael and its too easy to get 4k. I literally just prefer to scare the living daylights out of them for a while and let everyone build up points before ending the match. (I like to build a re-pore with the survs) If i do run across griefing survs then i just end the game quickly (with 4k as a punishment) to stop the nonsense and move on but its not a challenge and quite boring."

• VantaNite
    VantaNite Member Posts: 16

Its not that distortion counters too many perks and add on's, but that distortion is the only counter to so many perks and add ons. Dev's should get a clue. If someone wants to go unseen the whole game they'll just go in lockers. An aura build will already burn through distortion stacks. With the new build and perks like predator it'll basically be impossible to even have stacks of distortion. With a smart killer, that perk alone would completely allow the killer to control his stacks on you as well so you'd never be able to use the perk. If a survivor's gone unseen for the entire match, its because they are not engaging and if anything this will make cowardly players even more likely to hide in lockers. The amount of survivors that are not great in long chases is already high even in higher ranks. All this is going to do is encourage tunneling out the weaker survivors and massively encourage gen rushing build's.

• Ohyakno

Nobody is gonna run predator. It's a bad perk. Against 32m tr killers even with 2-3 aura perks you could not run out of stacks of distortion. Now you can. It was necessary to help perk diversity.

• VantaNite

It was incredibly easy to to burn distortion stacks, especially on killers with smaller terror radius. Predator is not strong on many killers, but its incredibly oppressive with nurse and a few specific killers. This didn't help diversity, its simply forced the game into a single playstyle. Everyone that doesn't fill that gap will now be filtered out of the game.

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 632

This is getting old. The update just came out, could we maybe let the change fester for a bit before deciding if its trash?

• Ohyakno

Wait. Perk X is strong on nurse? That's nuts. Better balance everything in the around this one killer they ignores half the mechanics in the game.

The only time I ever ran out of distortion stacks was vs a full aura reading huntress or scratched mirror Myers. Vs nearly every other killer in the game it just turned aura perks into a dead slot. That sucks. Sorry. People stealthed before distortion and you can stealth now.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 398

well, maybe it's time you take chase and learn it instead of just dodging it. The game exists beyond a simple 'do gens' level.

• VantaNite

Its excessively strong on that killer specifically, but its far from being as bad as you claim. When people stealthed before distortion, there were half as many aura perks. You are basically guaranteed to know where at least half the team is now almost 24/7 if not more. Even then, if you didn't burn all of someone's distortion stacks you'd still see most of the other survivors and be able to fairly easily predict where the distortion user is if you had half a brain. It's far from a dead slot to the killer, and more of a dead slot to survivors since it makes them even weaker in a chase compared to the rest of their team.

• VantaNite

Plenty of distortion users take chase, this make's it so all you'll do is take chase/gen rush.

• dwight444

I'm sure some do. In my experience, I really only see 1 person on our team with distortion and 9/10 this person is ratting all game. Plenty of users on here agree and have shared that this is similar to their experience: distortion players usually just hide or as they call it, 'stealth gameplay'.

this doesn't make it so that all you'll do is take chase and 'gen rush'. Just play the game dude, no one is stopping you from walking and hiding if you hear the killer or playing smarter, it's just not rewarding you for hiding and forcing anyone without distortion to get focused on. It's not a big deal unless you relied on it so much.

all this makes it is so that you can still hide but you have to earn it by playing the game beyond sit and do gens. Go alleviate some pressure from the other 3 team members, do saves, heal, etc.

• MissClove
    MissClove Member Posts: 7

in 100000000% agreement. They have rendered this park useless.

• VantaNite

So your solution is to turn those same distortion users into locker rats. There are no other aura counter perks and they wont just stop using stealth gameplay. The perk was already a dead slot for survivors. It's already a rather big weakness having that perk in chase and this change only makes it worse. With aura perks being stronger then ever, if anything you'll see even more distortion user's regardless of the nerf since there's no other counter. The game's just turned into a gen rush/tunneling simulator instead of your so called gen simulator.

• Wezqu

Not to mention he only sees that one Distortion user because he pays attention to him because of playing style not because of the perk. The perk is just what gets blamed of the person playing style.

• VantaNite

This is excessively true. Because they dont play like they want them to play, they'll harp on them and take specific notice.

• dwight444

the same people who didn't care to run distortion pre-nerf will not care to run it now. Don't know why the perk being nerfed would cause an uptick in users.

tunneling is not new, not related to distortion. 'Gen rush', yes, what the hell else are we supposed to do during the game when we're not in chase, unhooking, or healing? What are we supposed to do at the start of the match when there is literally nothing else to do?

You want to rat in a locker, go for it. Good luck perfecting the art of timing a locker perfectly so you don't get aura read. Your aura will be read now more often now thanks to not being able to hide your aura all game anymore……

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,205

Basically 80% of my matches were garbage because all the Distortion users could not last 20s in chase.

• VantaNite

That's the thing. The art of perfecting locker timing is to just never leave it. The second a rat gets hooked even one time they'll just hide the rest of the game in one.

I say even more people will use distortion than pre nerf is because aura perks are just getting even stronger. You'll see far more object of obsessions and distortions now even with the nerfs as killers just keep getting more and more free aura perks.

Tunneling is obviously not now, but if you dont think its related to distortion you're living in your own world.

• Unequalmitten86
    Unequalmitten86 Member Posts: 182

They need to include gen repair with chase because 30 seconds is a huge amount of time in chase. I had it one yesterday and I got one token back but immediately lost it in chase and then it took me the entire match to get the token back. It was a little hard to gens because they would easily find you. It needs to include gen repair as well.

• Unequalmitten86

HAha.. I had to redo my build a few weeks ago because I was not being able to touch a gen and had distortion. I had to really learn quick to loop. I can last almost a full gen IF they are doing gens.

• VantaNite

Gen repair should be how it get's replenished. Not every survivor likes being chased and if they are doing gens they are doing objectives, and if a killer cant watch their gens without an aura perk that's their fault.

• Skillfulstone
    Skillfulstone Member Posts: 730

While nice to hear that it'll be shorter, it still doesn't change the fact that not only are there less tokens but also that the majority of the playerbase will end up on a hook after nearly every chases anyway(losing chase for a second because of stun, LOS or distance doesn't count) unless someone else takes chase or the Killer decides that another target is easier (likely by going back to a possible hooked/recently unhooked Survivor or hearing an injured Survivor mid-chase) which basically means that outside of good players that can actually make the Killer drop chase reliably the perk will have (a maximum) of 6 uses throughout the whole trial.

Reducing the ability to hide and avoid chase is merely making the experience worse for newcomers/casual players, especially when/if they don't have friends to play with. If the goal is to prevent players from hiding the entire match then just tying token recharge to gen repair (and increasing the requirement to like 40-45 sec spent on a gen per token, so a full gen would replenish 2 tokens if uninterrupted) would be perfect since it would encourage people to contribute to keep their aura block and useless Survivors would eventually lose their protection, to get it back they would need to put themselves in the Killer's path by doing gens.

Most people can't loop and definitely can't escape chase reliably but anyone can repair gens. Not everybody wants to engage in frequent chases because they know they'll go down quickly (and probably get shunned in the post-game chat out of spite) and that a sneaky gen-doer is way more useful than a dead teammate. With Distortion requiring chases (which means getting hooked rather quickly in most cases) it just kills the perk for players that use it normally but doesn't really change the core issue of useless players hiding all match, they'll just spend more time in lockers than before and be just as useless if not even more.

• Unequalmitten86

Exactly and if killers know it's tied to chases then they definitely won't chase long. I would be fine with it tied to gen repair and the third token back. I find in games either the perk isn't used or it's totally gone with it being hard to recharge

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 645

That's a fair tweak, but please keep the chase part.

Keeping the chase part is more than fair. The issue when switching to genrepair is that aura perks that encourage the killer to chase different survivors gets blocked and the killer is more likely to tunnel or to camp or will go back to full slowdown and these builds encourage a more tunnel/camp strategy. In addition, the average player can have a 30sec chase to gain two tokens back. 6 times is a lot in dbd, especially when the average killer only has one or two aura perks. The killer finds you, 30sec chase, two tokens back and either hooked or able to escape and then save for the next two times due to distortion. Switching to genrepair would also not solve the so called "rat issue" /the disliked teammates. In addition, when Distortion triggers, you will know why it triggers and the next time you are prepared for it to either avoid it or to keep that in mind.

The game provides many other perks (Lightfooted, Quick and Quiet, Dance With Me, Lucky Break, Lucky Star, Iron Will to name a few) to hide, avoid chases, and to lose chase with the killer/to confuse them. It is also not the case that every killer has a full aura perkbuild. The average killer has either one or maximum two aura perks (info/slowdown/slowdown/ either info, chase, or slowdown).

If players avoid the chases, then - of cause - they can't loop. At some point, every survivor should go for a chase. It is nice to repair a gen, but it is much better when the one who repairs the gen is not the one with zero hooks while the other survivors are already hooked/dead on hook. So even when the players give the killer a quick down, this is still better than a 3v1 situation. Switching to genrepair will encourage these players to avoid the chase and sacrifice their teammates by doing this.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,508

Little steep? Every exhaustion give you 20 seconds of free shift+w, idk how bad you need to be in chase to keep it less than 30 seconds. Your game balancing around 10 hours survivor players lately is really disappointing, I won't lie. Yes, at least you need to take chase now to earn it, but if you actually think that it was "far too effective", as you, devs, said in devs note, with 15 seconds it will EVEN MORE effective now on a players, who don't afraid to be chased. Actually think twice to implement it, because if you think that "Distortion counters a lot of Perks & Add-Ons" is a problem, then you will make it even worse. It's basicly guaranteed 2 tokens every chase and almost non-stop counter for every aura addon on killers.

• adam1233467
    adam1233467 Member Posts: 1,071

You still need to get chases, you can't just hide indefinitely and get tokens by just hiding, so people that used to hide with distortion will still be affected

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 974

But the killer would eventually find you when he is patrolling gens. It’s not like you are just hidden somewhere random when doing gens.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 310

or is it maybe because people average 20s in chase so they can't fully recharge their tokens with 30s tokens recharge time lolz

Honestly, if number tweaks were too much to ask, all they had to do was tie token recharge with gen repair.

This would fix the main issue people complain about: Survivors hiding and not helping.

that doesn't solve another problematic aspect of this perk: people using it as a crutch in order to completely avoid killer interaction. In fact, this even incentivizes hiding even more against bad-mid killer players game sense vise. We are supposed to encourage people to improve at the game, not to reward them for not willing to improve :)

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,543

It's assumed that if you're trying to avoid the Killer, you would get off the generator and hide somewhere nearby when you hear them approaching.

• Ohyakno

Back to infinite tokens. Well I got to use alien instinct for a while.

• Unequalmitten86

With all due respect I play only soloq and it is brutal. Every killer has at least 2-3 aura reading perks. I ran distortion and most of the time my tokens were eaten up by the first minute of the game. It allowed me to do gens I also don't hide in lockers because I always get caught. Even users that don't have distortion jump off a gen and hide when they get the heartbeat or sound. Problem is the killers I face don't engage in chase and drop it extremely quickly. They don't patrol and just really hang around one area if the board is large, some killers even force a 3 gen situation. The players that I have found that didn't do anything (and trust me it was a lot) hid in the basement doing a locker shuffle, some even just hid in a locker all game and the killer ignored the explosions, these players did not have distortion but Object of Obsession they also knew exactly where the hatch would Spawn. I am also seeing now as both killer and survivor that when there is 2 gens left nothing gets done. I don't know if this is because of the mori now but it's a standoff and I just put myself out there because I'm not going to hold up a game but I them am the lucky one to get bled out.

Also tying the token recharge to just chases will discourage a aura running killer to drop chases quicker. Most aura build contain LP so they will figure out who the distortion user is. As per the lives you all do you constantly stress "the killer to engage chase" but adding gens repair or solely gen repair does encourage both patrol and chase. These killers don't chase, they hang around the edge of the hook or weave in an out and really tunnel. They don't have gen regression perks and it's all aura builds. The games are always hard pressed after an update but I fear this change (and eve buff) will discourage players.

Also there is a huge handicap between console and PC. Console can't maneuver as smooth as PC a lot of distortion users were console because looping is a little hard for us, out fast vaults and pallets are super broken.

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 632

Should be fine. It will effectively counter one aura perk but lose hard to two. It also only starts with one token now to boot. 15s could be a bit too low though, maybe 20 would be more balanced? Either way tying it to chase means that they need to be a good looper for high value, otherwise they'll be limited to ~5 tokens a match (starting token, 2 for each chase after and then they die)

• xBlackPanda
    xBlackPanda Member Posts: 10

Why is not a good thing to get tokens while repairing?
    Always the same arguments like: "hiding in the corner forever" and so on… -.-
    I'm doing my objective and help the team to escape, or do I need to force getting chased?
    If the killer is not there to defense the gens why is it my problem?

I'm playing for a long time with distortion, and I was almost everytime the first one that got chased, and if a survivor chooses to play stealth they just continue doing it without the perk 🤷‍♂️

The killer still have eyes to see survivors, and if they need to rely on so many aura perks, why is the only good counter for survivors only for chasing. I don't understand it 🤷‍♂️ Is it unfair to get it back while you are doing your objective and NOT hide in the corner like you said?!

• HPhoenix
    HPhoenix Member Posts: 601

Hmmm, this make more sense now as I always though that gaining a token via generator would had been a good idea. "Gain a token after repairing a generator for a total of 25%, gain a token." < that was an idea I had in mind for a wild, which would force them to do gens but after reading your replies then yea, getting chase would be an amazing option to get a token back.

Looking forward for new Distortion <3

• Ohyakno

Why is it that when people post complaints like this they use the most exaggerated, hyperbolic statements possible? No every killer is not in fact using 2-3 aura perks. There is no way all three tokens were consumed in the first minute of the game on a regular basis. The rest of your post is about 3 gens and people swapping lockers in basement and killers apparently not chasing(how are they hooking anyone without chasing?) which are super outdated complaints.

The whole thing paints you as someone bolting into a locker the second you hear the terror radius and only doing gens on the edge of the map, 3 genning your team. Frankly you sound like a terrible teammate.

• LapisInfernalis

You have never encountered a rat before, I guess.

They sit with you together at a Gen, the killer comes and they just vanish....

• LapisInfernalis

The main issue with Distortion was that having one or 2 people use it in a team often caused the other 2 teammates to get chased very frequently even if the killer did not intend on "tunneling them out". You had 2 people on death hook while the Distortion users had 0 hooks.

I have friends who use the perk regularly, and what I described happened in the majority of my matches. Even though they are not always hiding. They are just more a "support" (mainly altruism and gens).

When I was using Distortion, my matches would be the same. I would never be chased unless I got found somehow, even though I am quite good in chase. I had to actively try to get chased to not just hold M1...

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,679

Thank you i really appreciate this cuz distortion was hit way too hard, to the point where the PTB version was probably better.

I still think that it was a weird choice to add new aura reading and then nerf the primary defense survivors have at the same time though. I would have thought aura reading would have been nerfed at the same time if distortion got nerfed.

• Adam_Francis_Main
    Adam_Francis_Main Member Posts: 1

You all listen and cater to players with low hours. The haste boost gained after a hit is 15-20 seconds. This will just punish m1 killers and reward players who can't last more then 10 seconds in chase.

15 seconds is too short. You all just want to cater to the side that buys the most skins.