The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Battle Pass can't be finished by casual players.

Comments

• Larisa
    Larisa Member Posts: 176

It's actually 70-80 hours which is 1-2 hours per day

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857

But it isn't meant for casuals. All it is is a way for people to get content early and at a bargain. With the exceptions of charms (no ones really gonna cry over them lbh) everything will eventually make it to the store at a later date for you to purchase with either money or iridescent shards.

• justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711

Or you just go the free track and AFTER THAT you can decide to purchase the premium track if you are sure to complete it

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

The issue is that even after you have all the challenges done you still wont have enough rift fragments to complete the pass. You need over 100 hours on top of all the challenges to complete it. Thats not factoring in matches that you cant do the challenge because of DCs or just bad games, lobby wait times, DCs, etc. It looks to require around 4 hours everyday for the 70days without even a day off. You have plans for Saturday and Sunday? Better make up for it by doing 6hours everyday...

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624

thats 4 full days out of 60? which is like dbd telling me to not get a life.

How long does fortnites take?

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Yes it was. It was originally suppose too be for both casuals and hardcore players, and it was suppose too be around 70 hours after everything is said and done, but with DC's, Lobby Times, bad matches, infinite loading screens, and more bugs and bugs, 100 hours is looking generous.

• Theoretical_Heart
    Theoretical_Heart Member Posts: 398

I don't know how long Fortnite's takes but I finished Red Dead Online's in 2 weeks.

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624

I think a good 50-65 hours is okay.

The skins should be exclusive though

• BunnyTheHutt

I agree, honestly I am fine with 70 hours, but over 100 like it is right now is not ok.

• Ark_the_Bonsai
    Ark_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 867

The biggest problem with battlepass systems IMO is that you pay money that you worked for to work for something else.

That'd be like me paying a pizza joint to let me work there. Do you see the problem?

• xZeroStrike
    xZeroStrike Member Posts: 133

I'm just saying, nobody knows how long this will actually take.

On top of that, all of this is based on the math of one person, who uses a variable in said math, that being how long a game would last in order to calculate the total required hours to gain all rift fragments, and he didn't even write down his mathematical process of reaching the amount he has obtained. I'm not saying he's wrong per sé, but banking on this alone to make an assumption such as "it'll be impossible to achieve if you don't do X" is just a little far-fetched.

Also add the fact that The Rift is still in its PTB phase, and will still take a couple weeks before it'll see implementation in the live environment, so a lot of things may, or may not, still change.

There's also the fact that this is still the first "battle pass" to be brought into the game, which means that there is still the need to learn for everyone, especially the developers, on what is a good middle ground to make The Rift rewards obtainable my most players whilst still requiring the player to dedicate some time to the game.

And let's not forget that buying the "Premium Track" is entirely optional. In fact, it is entirely possible for you, the player, to not buy the Premium Track, play the game and level your Rift progress, and then buy the Premium Track when YOU are satisfied with the rewards you'll obtain from it, if at all.

Some games don't allow you that freedom (Fortnite), because those games require you to have purchased the pass in order to make the most progress possible. This isn't the case in DbD.

TL;DR:

• The Rift is still in PTB, changes are still possible.
    • The Rift is rather non-predatory, as the player can level the pass in advance before deciding to buy the Premium Track, and this is no secret. The Premium Track also doesn't feature "XP boosts" like other games have to encourage buying it before the end to "level it up faster".
    • This is the first iteration of The Rift, it's entirely possible the devs are still looking for a good middle-ground to make The Rift accessible to all whilst still requiring some dedication and effort from players to complete.
    • Companies need to make money. The Rift having a price shouldn't be surprising, and is still amongst the better value-for-money additions to the game compared to single cosmetic sets costing equally as much.
    • All these assumptions are based on the calculations of one guy, that didn't list his mathematical process, and that was made during a time in which The Rift was still in a "beta", meaning that any future changes will make this entirely irrelevant.

So, as with all things: Don't rant. Don't get upset over it. Give your feedback regarding your concerns about The Rift to the devs in the therefore designated forum category (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/3-3-0-ptb-gameplay-feedback), and wait and see if they make changes. Give The Rift its chance to be implemented in a way that will be benefitial to all.

• BunnyTheHutt

I am giving it a chance, and I do want it too be perfect for all sides, but right now with how buggy the game is with infinite loading screens, DC's, campers, tunnelers, crashes, there is a lot of problems that will make it very hard for a casual player too get everything without paying, which is my problem.

Is it just one person's math, yes, but I feel it should still be taken into account. Plus the Battle Pass shouldn't be implemented until the game is more stable and everyone gets a fair chance at unlocking everything. And if a rant is needed then so be it, they're problems in the game that need too be addressed, and sometimes a rant is needed.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

The problem I have with this concept is simple. They are hiding something -that would have previously just been placed in the store- behind a grind, and worse. This grind, you have to be conned into paying to participate in. Is it entitlement to feel scammed/conned when the games developers decide to take a method of scamming/conning money out of people instead of the normal method they already had in game? A game we have to buy?

• xZeroStrike
    xZeroStrike Member Posts: 133

The game has some problems but it isn't nearly as buggy as you're portraying it to be.

Infinite loading screens haven't been as much of a problem in a very long time, if they are at all. Campers and tunnelers aren't bugs, this is inherently still a PvP game and that is something you, the player, should take into account (and did when you decided to buy the game).

DCs are apparently a problem with the Dedicated Servers. This is worth its own topic so I won't go into detail about it but bottomline is that it's the servers, and not the game (so when devs disable Dedi's and return to P2P after the "testing phase", those issues should be resolved).

Crashes happen rarely.

From my experience, and from occasionally stopping by the Bug Reports forums, most bugs are not game-breaking. Those that are, aside from DCs and SWF party bugs, appear to be rare.

TL;DR - Bugs exist, but bugs being the reason that you can't complete The Rift seems incredibly unlikely. You'd have to have terrible luck for those issues to occur so frequently you physically were unable to complete The Rift.

On the topic of ranting: rants rarely work. At least they don't until almost everyone goes with it. Additionally, rants lower player-dev relationship, which may have undesirable results in the long run. Also remember that developers are still people pouring time into creating this game for us, the players. Don't rant, provide constructive feedback in a non-ranty way instead. Better for everyone.

• Theoretical_Heart

If it wasn't meant for the average player it wouldn't cost money. There are not enough "hardcore" gamers (aka no lifes) in any one game to sustain a live service.

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited October 2019

A:) I'm not here to help you browbeat and whinge Behav10r into giving you everything easy. It's bad for them financially to do so. So labeling my criticism negativity means nothing to me. Just as you are free to post as you want so too am I free to do the same. You do not have a right to post a complaint and have it shielded from criticism. You are not entitled to a red carpet for your agenda.

B:) Casuals aren't a crumb more important than anyone else. Think of the inanity of that comment. If I play for 10 minutes a day and never spend a cent how on earth am I the bread and butter for Behav10r? Streamers bring a large portion of players to Behav10r and they are anything but casual.

C:) There's no drama. I'm as chill as I'm going to get. If you make a new thread or new post I'm going to be right there to give my opinion on it particularly if it comes with an undue sense of entitlement and self importance. Deal with it.

Objective reality, dedicated servers come with a cost the company did not have before and they have to generate revenue to keep them funded. I want DbD to be successful as I do have a financial stake in the game, as we all do. What isn't healthy for the game is people browbeating the company at every turn when they try and make money to keep those servers up and to procure new licenses. Maybe if you didn't try to imply they were scummy by labeling any attempt at revenue generation a cash grab I'd have been a little more sympathetic to your concerns. The reward is cosmetics.

None of the challenges are impossible to beat. They are however going to be incredibly difficult for survivors who haven't played a crumb of killer and that my friend is just desserts. Those most concerned with cosmetics get to endure the headaches and abuse they so often love to dish out to their competition as they scramble to hoard every piece of swag. Priceless.

• myers_obsession
    myers_obsession Member Posts: 552

Why does everyone say, that its "every challenge" + 100 hours? You earn fragments every 800 xp. And while doing challenges So you can save 2 Challenges (one surv, one killer) and choose the opposite to prevent finishing it. You can play normally until 1 day before the next level unlocks and earn your fragments. Level 1 is really easy and I nearly had it done on the same day.

With this you can earn Fragments while waiting for the next level.

• Tucking_Friggered
    edited October 2019

That's nice dear. I'll try not to lose any sleep as I ponder what I could do differently to make survivor players love me.

It's nice to know we can turn to you to speak on behalf of everyone too, it should cut down on forum spam immensely as everyone can just let you have center stage.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Tucking_Friggered
    edited October 2019

Thanks for making the conversation about me personally. You do realize that's against the rules right?

Don't worry though, I won't report you because frankly I could not care less.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692
    edited October 2019

They also accused me of white knighting for the battle pass when I literally questioned whether it would be possible for casuals to complete. The topic is in my post history.

It was beyond hilarious and really showcased that they are, in fact, the one filled with bias, which is a nice cherry in top of the "you must be working for bhvr" cake they're baking for you here.

You're better off ignoring dumpster fires like that on the forums - they'll get sorted out, eventually ;3

• BunnyTheHutt

whether or not the battle pass is bought or not isn't the problem. I understand and agree with the notion of waiting till you think it's worth it, but if casual players don't have a chance too get everything unless they pay then that is an issue too me.

• BunnyTheHutt

Yep. More then likely they'll nerf it like they do everything on the PTB.

• Tucking_Friggered
    edited October 2019

No, I'm not negative. I'm just not going lockstep in agreement with your agenda. Particularly when your agenda is painfully problematic.

Like this portion of your reply

I understand the fact they have too make money, they are a company and it's stupid too think everything should be free, but if casual players don't have a chance too get everything without paying then that is an issue.

It's contradictory to a fault. In another part you state the casual are the majority. So you want the majority to be able to acquire everything free while acknowledging the game can not be maintained free. So then who exactly is supposed to support the infrastructure for the majority? The minority?

One part I think you have no awareness or appreciation for is that as more copies of the game sell the number of needed dedicated servers rise. The base cost of the game is going to cover salaries for programmers and such, not those dedicated servers. So then that leaves cosmetic sales to make up the difference. The issue is that there is no guaranteed % of those new players who will buy the cosmetics. Behavior could very well wake up tomorrow with 10000 new players who have zero intention of ever spending beyond the base game. They will have to have dedicated servers to play on though.

• BunnyTheHutt

So because BHVR has too make money, the majority should be forced too pay up for content that should be accesible for free if you play well? Again, if you don't participate but want everything then you can pay for everything, but a casual player should be able too unlock everything for free if they play right and smart.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Then don’t pay for it, and get what you get from the free track for playing anyways

• BunnyTheHutt

that doesn't change from the fact that it's still unfair for casual players. Using the argument of "dont pay for it" isn't even an argument since it doesn't change the point I'm making, which is how horrible the grind is for casual players and the fact they will probably not get the max rewards from the battle pass, even if they do everything right.

• SleepyWillo

The point is - even the free track is unlikely to be complete-able without paying to finish tiers.

• Tucking_Friggered
    edited October 2019

Establish for me why content should be free at all. I mean on a fundamental level it isn't free to create and it was created after you bought the base game so you were never promised anything more beyond technical support. I'm not against free content though, I just don't feel entitled to it.

As for playing well and receiving content, this is a game. There is nothing wrong with rewarding completing challenging content. I think it's self evident humans want rewards for accomplishments. On a deeper level the longer you play the more easier the queues are filled which makes all the other players happy.

Money, tasteful or not, keeps the bill paid and the lights on. People don't part with it easily and rarely if ever freely. So yes, you can pay straight up cash to bypass the challenge if its preferred. Though frankly I think you cheat yourself of the sense of the accomplishment by doing it that way.

Define casual. Is it based on time or skill? I'm definitely casual when it comes to time, I struggle to hit rank 10 anytime I play because I do not sit down and play for long periods. In terms of casual in skill I'm far from it. I understand how to run tiles, how to pressure gens, and how to generally make life difficult for my competition. If the pass is made easy enough for an absolutely skill-less casual to complete without sweating it will be a boring and pointless endeavor for the better players. It is meant to provide a challenge for those who do play a lot as they are ones sticking around for long periods growing bored.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

I don't actually agree with this.

While I think casual player that pay should be able to complete the pass I don't think simply grinding should enable you to get it all for free.

The cosmetics are an extra that they employ a team dedicated to work on purely for extra revenue. They are not part of the game ever needed to play.

Since cosmetics are never needed ir change gameplay no one is being forced to pay for anything. You can chose to do so or not.

Cosmetics have become the way for a company to bring in that extra revenue instead of increasing the costs of things deemed needed. Its a much better way to get revenue as it allows more players to get the actual content that can add to gameplay at a lower price.

Players can still earn some for free just by playing along with doing the challenges which reward extra bloodpoints. I personally hink that model is more than fair.

• Theoretical_Heart

The money isn't the problem. The price is fair. It's the grind and difficulty that isn't fair. Stop ignoring the actual discussion.

• johnmwarner

It’s for OPTIONAL cosmetics, that you can buy later. Honestly if you pick and choose what you want you’ll pay less than the people who grind it out. Stop ignoring that discussion.

• johnmwarner

on the FREE TRACK even if you don’t complete it you still get, FOR FREE, some cosmetics and bonus blood points, FOR FREE if I forgot to mention that.

• SleepyWillo

on the FREE TRACK, if i'm not mistaken, you dont get any bloodpoints? The bloodpoints are from the Tome...

• Tucking_Friggered
    edited October 2019

You already received the game you paid for. You are not entitled to free content for the rest of your life just because you made the initial purchase. If you buy a burger at Mcdonald's do you assume you are entitled to a free lunch for the rest of your life?

The battle pass is designed, as all are, to offer you some goodies for participating as a baseline and compel you to either dedicate time playing or spend cash to advance. It is 100% intended to generate income to cover the cost of dedicated servers knowing that few will be able to attain everything for free and most will spend money to avoid the challenge. Even those committed enough to attain everything for free still provide a service in filling the queues.

The question is why is that bad? Dedicated servers are not free. The money has to come from somewhere. Amazon doesn't accept IOUs or best intentions.

• Theoretical_Heart

Not the money. Get over the money. It's the unfairness of the time and difficulty of the challenges. You are hung up on the money. Even on the free track the grind/difficulty is unchanged.

• BunnyTheHutt

I disagree. I feel if you spend 8 hours a day, every day, for 2 weeks then you have earned the rewards, but someone who can only spend 2-3 hours a day at best shouldn't be forced too pay for cosmetics they want simply because of real life obligations.

Cosmetics may only be that, cosmetics, but that doesn't change the fact that if the battle pass is being advertised as something for both hardcore and casuals players, but it isn't working for casuals, then there is an issue. If they reduced the grind it would be a great battle pass, and I'm personally still gonna buy it, but casual players shouldn't be forced too buy tiers simply because life comes first and they can't afford the time it requires too get everything for free.