Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Comments

• GrayEyes
    GrayEyes Member Posts: 379
    edited November 2021

Matchmaking times for survivor is taking longer and longer cause killers are sick of 2 boons and all 5 gens being done in under 5 mins

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

I think time of day is having an impact, or tons of killers on ps4 have turned crossplay off. I was getting instant queues as survivor. I tried to play killer but after waiting 5 minutes I said screw it and played something else - which adds to the confusion of how I could've gotten same killer so many times in a sitting. 😕

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

I've noticed on PS4 I get frame drops/freezes when someone is hooked or unhooked. Quite annoying. And I'm running the game off an SSD.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452

It really got worse somehow without even an update. I did notice, but maybe I just see things now after all this time, that it got worse when the bloodhunt started.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

As time goes on, I come to suspect more and more that the issue lies with how data is processed in the code.

My evidence:

The game has seen a drastic drop in performance every single time there is a new status effect implemented. We've seen this both with Nemesis' "Contaminated" status and with the AoE that Boon perks provide. Both times, there have been noticeable changes, none for the better.

However, the Hellraiser Chapter went off exceedingly smoothly from a performance standpoint. There were also no new status effects added. Curious.

Likewise, now that a Bloodhunt has occurred (which messes with how BP is calculated/given out) more performance issues are starting to crop up.

My theory is that anything that adds new things for the game to calculate (status effects, stackable BP gains, ect ect) causes it to struggle with performance.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,750

This jives with the reading problems due to each and every asset of each killer being loaded in to every trial. As that single lane highway gets longer it takes more gas to get there. Not much added with PinCushion so not a big hit to performance for once.

It'll be interesting to see if it can handle all three boon effects popping on this Tuesday.

My Xbox fears those three power crows being released all at once. Hope that doesn't melt our Switch cousin's machines either.

• TragicSolitude

Actions get interrupted very often when playing survivor. It's a real problem while recovering on the ground, it gets interrupted constantly and so I'll be holding down the button and nothing will actually be happening. This occurs on both the PS4 and on Switch.

My friend was cleansing a totem while I was booning one. I finished booning first, and it interrupted their cleansing so they had to start from the beginning.

Also, the blue glow of being in a boon totem's AOE flickers whenever a dull or hex totem is cleansed.

• bm33

Hopped on for a match. Haven't played yet, currently waiting for the match to start but wanted to share. My ps4 fans do not like the current menus background at all, they are so loud right now. Genuinely nervous about playing at all right now. 😬

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 700

I’m waiting to see the opinions of those on this thread before I try it myself; just cannot take the disappointment after spending money anymore lol.

I saw unhooks mentioned briefly in the patch notes so hopefully that helps, though I still worry about all the killer powers that caused freezing ‘hitches’.

Hopefully the verdict is good as I would really have liked to get excited about the new content with everyone else.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,932

I'm keeping an eye here, so please let me know if there's any issues.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

Only played 3 games so far, all against Artist and things seem to be running okay. But I have yet to play on the new map.

• bm33

Every match against the Artist I've noticed a stutter/freeze as soon as I'm able to move. Only against the Artist - didn't happen against Bubba, Wraith, Deathslinger, Trickster, Legion or Hag I faced. Also pretty shocked at the current variety in killers I've faced today. 😂

I've noticed slight freezes/stutters when Artist uses her power - more so on reworked/new maps than old ones. Few times my character has completely stopped working on my gen when Artist uses her power, I have to hit button again to get back on it.

Against Bubba every time he used his chainsaw there would be a freeze when he started to rev and freeze at the end. Performance dropped even if I was across the map from him.

Hooks seem to be OK and performance overall seems better than it was prior to today's patch.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

We have to give words of praise when they deserve it. This patch has been wonderful so far. The hitches I had with unhooking/hooking and using killers' powers are gone. Only the new map has some minor slutters, but it's tolerable.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited December 2021

Glad to hear things are improving again. I am playing some other games atm but it is still good to see.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,932
  • DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227

After some rounds I have to say it's running a little bit better on Nintendo Switch. Didn't play on Ormond but I bet it's still horrible on this map.

Against Spirit runs the game better. But I didn't face the "Blight" Skin. So I can't tell what the performance is.

• Nathan13
    edited December 2021

this unhook delayed my Decisive Strike.

EDIT- Also I wanna point out that there was a quick freeze after the unhook.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

The game is starting to become unplayable for me. Once hour of the witch hit I began having bad texture pop in unless I turn my settings UP higher, and got intermittent lag and frame drops on certain maps. Since the latest patch it's actually becoming unplayable. I randomly drop to 45 FPS average after playing for say an hour and restarting doesn't do anything. Game is fine and then suddenly just constant frame drops. It makes an already frustrating game that much more frustrating. I have stayed despite the laundry list of game issues, but I genuinely will quit if I am just forced to play at like 40 FPS now when there was no such problem until a recent update, because I don't consider the game playable anymore.

• bm33

Yesterday playing I started noticing little freezes during hooks/unhooks. Not as severe as they were before but weird it had gone from not having them day of patch to noticing them starting to pop up again. It's odd that the performance seems to start getting worse between patches. Like between last hotfix and this patch the performance got gradually worse during that time. This patch day 1 hooks/unhooks seemed fine but now there are small freezes starting to happen.

• Nathan13

that's odd it can get better from day 1 of new chapter to getting worse again now.

• Shaped

Thats funny actually because at least two times after an update I posted here how the game is running well only to have different experience few games or a day or two later without them changing anything.

Maybe it is not a coincidence then? I am not playing dbd now but if this happens to you it probably will for me too.

• bm33

This could also be why we keep running into the same issues that were "fixed." In testing on day one it's fine so they leave it as is, but it's something that as time goes on starts to have issues.

• bm33

After bunch of matches after day one of patch the freeze I get at beginning of match still only happen for the Artist. So yay it only happening with one killer.

Had a match against Nemesis on temple map. Performance was horrible, like RE chapter horrible. While performance issues have cropped up since patch was released no match had as many issues as this one. Felt like non stop freezes because everything was triggering them - freezes from hook/inhook, tentacle use, vaccine use, gens completing, totems being cleansed, chests being opened, etc. It was first match of a session and I considered turning off the game it was so bad. I tried one more to see if performance issues really just randomly got THAT bad but it was better next match against Ghostface.

• Linne793
    Linne793 Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2021

(PS4) Big freezes when The Legion activates his power. This is new and the freeze is so long this time, specially the second one.

Time lapses: 0:03 / 3:40

• Mekochi
    Mekochi Member Posts: 942

They need to fix Nemesis's tentacle, everytime I am hit with it my frames drop to three, same thing when someone else gets hooked. Like how is that fair?

• Nathan13

played a nemesis game today, and I had a quick freeze mid chase when someone injected a vaccine. Almost caused me to lose the chase.

• TragicSolitude

When I'm playing killer, I still get frame drops when someone unhooks. (I haven't played survivor since the game went free on Epic, so I can't comment there.)

• bm33
    edited December 2021

I had couple Legion matches today and had these freezes too. Wicked bad freeze if someone is unhooked at same time Legion activates Frenzy.

Played against few Nemesis today. Definitely the worst killer right now for performance issues. Triggers for freezes while playing against him can also come with the fun getting moved/turned around from spot I'm in issue. I was about to hit R1 to work on a gen as a trigger hit and was moved off to side of gen. I was just standing there, wasn't even in motion, when the freeze moved me.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • Shaped

I played some surv games after a break and it is playable for me. Altough I didn't go against Legion and Nemesis.

I will play some killer tomorrow or the day after and see how that goes. I can try those two.

• Shaped

Legion is definitely freezing quite a bit but tiering up as Myers is still fine. Not sure if I want to humiliate myself with nemesis for research purposes since I never played him.

Shame. I really felt like playing Legion again, got a new cosmetic too.

• OopsAllHexes
    OopsAllHexes Member Posts: 624

Ironically enough, regarding FF14, it was a game that was considered bad on release but has been worked on by the devs to become so popular.

It ends up showing that legendarily bad games could make these kinds of insane comebacks. (And yes, I know it's Final Fantasy, that it took years, and the devs are SE, they have money and popularity to withstand things, but STILL)

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

Goddamn, how is this thread still going? It's embarrassing that the biggest thread ever on the forums has still not been properly addressed.

Behavior really needs to just stop giving us their trademark "we're looking into it" response and actually start fixing this issue.

• OopsAllHexes

Sea of Thieves was considered bad? Interesting. But I recall it getting sizeable attention even back then...

I thought No Man's Sky was still ######### but maybe not.

The others I don't know about but I will trust you.

• OopsAllHexes

Because "we'll look into it" is a PR move. They're not going to because they have and know it's a rabbit hole of issues. Poor coding amongst many other things.

The reason for the lag is something that would require a gigantic code rewrite. Something that BHVR isn't willing to do, because their coding team isn't that big, I'm assuming.

• QwQw

It's not just the performance, it's all the bugs too.

Behavior needs to address this game's ######### spaghetti code before things get even worse. Every update, the game gets more unstable.

• OopsAllHexes

Honestly, they'd probably fix it to the bare minimum and then leave it again. DBD needs a competitor asap.

• QwQw
  • Pulsar

No Man's Sky is much better, from what I'm told.

SoT may not have been bad but it was lacking content. There was basically nothing to do.

I can personally vouch for both BF4 and Battlefront II.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

I ask myself the same thing everytime it pops up. Yet....here we are.

• Shaped

Is the game working well on next gen?

• Pulsar
  • Shaped

Hey you got a new console? I didn't know that.

Glad to hear it, enjoy it. :)