Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The Representation Tweet

Comments

• Cancan71
    Cancan71 Member Posts: 709
    edited June 2020

I see you don't want any characters to be retconed but would any characters' lore be retconed if they were made gay?

For example before the Archives I could say that Dwight is gay and it wouldn't contradict any of his lore. I could also say that Dwight drugged his boss and that wouldn't have been against his old lore. Now with the Archives we know that Dwight drugged his boss, even though his original lore didn't mention this.

With most of these characters we don't know much about them so we can't say that asking them gay would retcon their backstory. Of course there are some exceptions like the Nurse but the majority of characters are possibilities at this point.

Of course if they want to make a new LGBT character I would like that as well.

• MichaelAMyers
    MichaelAMyers Member Posts: 292

The reason I state the genre is because the genre set the whole universe up....if you look at Halloween/Friday the 13th/A nightmare on Elmstreet there is no "I identify with this victim" because they are there to either die or to survive.

but if we look at games like Skyrim,Sims, and Fable which gives us players the free reign to marry or have sex with anyone then why not? it's developing your character/characters/world than just "Hey our game now has [Insert] community"

this is what happened with "Overwatch" the adding of more background was obvious Tracer being a Lesbian was implied/Hinted thats fine because it adds more because it showed her Girlfriend but when making Soldier 76 a gay man out of nowhere upset the community because it was basically forced and even my gay friend felt it was "forced" and that there was nothing hinting/implying soldier was gay.

I would rather prefer the "Make them how you see" vs "Canon lore"

• MichaelAMyers

Because it didn't need to be publicly mentioned as if it wasn't a pandering agenda?....I made that clear already.

• MichaelAMyers

I prefer new characters being and let me quote "Being properly represented" rather than retconning established lore.

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890

Ace is a womanizer, Sally had a husband, Frank and Julie are in a relationship, David had an ex-girlfriend, etc, etc. Orion, this is not a hill I recommend you die on.

• MichaelAMyers

But is it pandering....the definition of Pander is " to provide gratification for others' desires." in current social definitions the company wants to profit from a community...and I like when a character is ambiguous because it opens the doors for us fans to make our own "Lore" for them.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

Like I said, it most likely is a PR stunt but it doesn't take away the fact it could help the movement around the cause. It also could be that they actually support minorities, even if it took them 3 years. Opinions can and do change over time.

Heterosexuality has been forced on people for a long time and it still is an ongoing problem. That is the reason why saying "don't shove it down our throats" hurts people who doesn't fit the straight norm. Especially them who found out their "odd" orientation at young age.

Lore is lore. It can be rewritten, you can always add more to it, take away from it, whatever the writers feel like. Not accepting diversity just because lore hasn't been detailed doesn't really sound a strong argument.

• SewerSwans
    SewerSwans Member Posts: 147

Then tell me, where was this disagreement when unambigous heterosexuality was included in the game?

• MichaelAMyers

Never said I am "not" accepting "Diversity" I said the opposite btw.

• MichaelAMyers

Thats what you had to ask the devs 3 years old with/for

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

They also announced they were adding a Silent Hill chapter, crossplay, EGC, and more. Have you considered that they just announce things before they do them? Why is this any different?

• Orion

What is bisexuality?

No hill, just pointing out that sexuality isn't just heterosexuality/homosexuality.

• Mikeadatrix

Not every character is bisexual and that's A-OK.

-A bi dude

• Orion

OK? That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I'm saying that having an opposite-sex partner doesn't mean you're heterosexual.

-Also a bi dude

• MichaelAMyers
    1. Yes but there was no specific focus, people didn't watch horror films for race/sexuality but for the monsters/slashers.
    2. And people felt it was forced because as I said there was no definition for Soldier ever being Gay/Straight/Bi but when he was just written that way because of a "Picture" it was just not necessary but there is canon lore to these character.
    3. It's not about "no gay stuff in here" it's about how its done, I felt new character's should be
  • MichaelAMyers
    edited June 2020

Because that has to do with the actual game?....and it's different because why donate to LGBT now in this month and not every month? why market/indicate so much that you are so "LGBT" now and make this a thing?....as said by someone else it's a "PR Stunt" for marketing which doesn't sit right with me and others.

• Orion
    edited June 2020

Lore also has to do with the game, which this is.

Why not donate to LGBT this month and then donate to other things in other months? Is there something wrong about this month? Is the weather not right?

And today I learned that one tweet is "marketing/indicating so much".

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594
    edited June 2020

Disney star wars, rewrites it's lore all the time. Leading to endless inconsistencies, retcons and general story issues. There is no reason to be invested in it or give a care, for not only have they given the middle finger to old legacy characters like Luke, Han and others more times than one can count. They even try to rewrite the original movies with their animated shorts. Making Luke look like a fool and moron. Making Han look worst than he was in the movies. Making Leia look like a crazy blood thirsty insane person. When they were trying to get people hype for episode 9 and the Emperor returning. They release a comic, that brought in a new character that simply bash and insulted the Emperor and made the Emperor look like a idiot. Making a fair few people question why the heck did they do this, when they are trying to get people hype for the Emperor return but than release this comic, which make it seem like the Emperor is no big deal and is nothing more than a moron. Which goes against episode one to three, where he is a master mind that plots the downfall of the jedi and taking control of the galaxy for himself.

So while you can rewrite stuff or retcon stuff. It should be used in a very sparingly way or you end up with the mess that is disney star wars. Since if you retcon stuff all the time or the rules of a magic system can change on the drop of a dime. Well you give people no reason to care, for there is nothing to sink their teeth into. They can't get invested in the fights, for they lack any understanding as to how the magic system works, the powers and abilities both characters have or why they are fighting in the first place. For consistency is normally king when it comes to writing, since it allows one to get more invested in the conflict of the story and the characters. For a character that acts in a consistence way, can make them feel more like a real person. Since you get to know what they like, dislike, why they act a certain way and ect.

• MichaelAMyers

Lore is just text.....it has nothing to do with the gameplay.

the concept of what I said didn't truly set in....they are doing it now all within this span for Marketing to the LGBT community and you just learned about this one tweet? thats alright but from what people are telling me it's just PR/Pandering.

this is all I got to say to you Orion, I hope you have a nice day.

• Mikeadatrix

And I'm saying that having an opposite-sex partner is not indicative of being anything other heterosexual.

• MichaelAMyers

It's like making Freddy Krueger into a good guy when retconning/making new stuff.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

What he seems to be saying is that it is foolish to pander and retcon existing characters. Just make new one's X sexuality, that way it fits into their backstory better.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Different people take different things away from media, so you should not presume to speak for everyone. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 -- the first sequel to one of the most iconic and influential slasher films ever made, and an indelible inspiration for Dead by Daylight -- is one of the most celebrated gay horror films of all time, to the extent that a feature-length documentary exists on this one subject.

Defining characters for which "there was no definition" is the opposite of being "forced." Like, you are literally making an example of a character who was a clean slate, who the creators made a creative decision for -- perhaps inspired by a piece of background material as you point out. This is how creative development works. How else do you expect it to work?

• Orion

Lore has to do with the game, though. They made an announcement for the Rift and often speak of lore. Why aren't you complaining about those announcements? How about the announcements of the prizes they've received? Prizes don't have anything to do with gameplay.

Trust me, I know very well what you're saying and trying to do.

"Indicative of" is not the same as "Confirmed as", which is what I was saying. I'm glad you agree.

• Orion

What character has been confirmed as heterosexual? Not hinted at or implied, but blatantly confirmed.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536

I personally think they should've just kept leaving it up to the players imagination, obviously with the exception of licensed characters, defining an original characters sexuality heavily complicates the whole finding someone you relate to thing and decreases your options if your gay and or straight, this then brings up the problem of balancing the number of gay and straight characters in the game and just overall screws everyone over. I would like the inclusion of more flamboyant characters and personalities, but they shouldn't outright confirm a characters sexuality in order to keep the peace in the community.

• Orion

How does knowing more about a character make it more difficult to relate to them? Also, why do you want gay stereotypes, but no actual gay people?

• Ghostwithaface
    edited June 2020

Marvel comics turned Iceman gay. A character who has a history of being straight, dating countless women and being in relationships with one. Than suddenly out of the blue, marvel turns him gay for reasons. Which throws past history of the character into the trash. Which even ignoring that. The character could still possibly be good with this change but nope. They turn him into the worst gay stereotype you can think of. Making him come off more like a pure jerk who only cares about himself. The new current iceman has gotten upset at a love interest, for not wanting to put being in danger all the time, due to super villains. Something that sounds very reasonable but no, the current iceman doesn't understand that and comes off like a jerk. Has created ice status of himself, just to waste his parents time by making him think he is just waiting outside the fast food place they were visiting and before that, yell at them for trying to help out someone else while in public. Has destroy the property of others for no other reason, than just to be a jerk. That and Ice-man endlessly reminds you he is gay. Which would be akin to a character saying i'm straight over and over again. That or badly used flash backs that remind you three times in a row of information you already knew, like what the naruto anime does, leading it being annoying, due to just being told the same thing in a short period of time and treating you like a moron who can't remember anything if not told to you over and over again. Yes yes i understand they are x sexually. Lets get on with the story already. So in the case of marvel Iceman. Not only did they change the character's sexually for no real reason. They also turn a character that would care for the ones who loved, into a self center jerk, who only really cares about himself. That and endless issues with simple bad writing. Could they have made this change work and have it possibly made logic sense? Yes that is possibly but with the way they did it. It come off as force, lazy and poorly written. Along with giving the middle finger to people who have been following this character and his adventures for years, possibly generations now by throwing out past cannon and history for no real reason. While in return all one is given, is poor writing and poorly written stories. With the whole thing coming off as force, since they so rapidly changed a character for seeming no logical reason.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

I'll believe that they support minorities when I see an Indigenous Person as a Survivor in their game. IPs are notoriously discriminated against in Canada and since BHVR is based in Canada, that would show more support for diversity than supporting lgbtq+ during pride month.

For reference on the topic, particularly the Indigenous Rights section:

All in my opinion of course.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I have not followed X-Men for a very very long time, so I cannot speak to this, other than to acknowledge that I have heard, in passing, that this happened at some point. There are, certainly as with anything, unwieldy ways to handle the subject matter.

Behaviour's current stance and implied direction is not one of them.

• Ghostwithaface

Yeah behaviour i think will handle it better, due to being able to learn from others that did it poorly or these who did it correctly. Since well to bring up manga. They have a whole genre of boy's love and girl's love. Lots of quality stories that handle it rather well from japan. Which in both of these cases, use new original characters to tell a story and thanks to quality story telling it works. For they handle them like everyone else. Write a character who happens to be x and bang. It works. For the character is just treated like a character.

• Orion

I think BHVR will handle it better simply because they employ LGBT people. If you want a woman to be written correctly, you hire a woman. If you want an L/G/B/T character to be written correctly, you hire an L/G/B/T person.

• Ghostwithaface

Spider-man aka Peter Parker the one from the classic comics, is a character that people from countless different races can relate to, men and women alike. Why do so many care for Peter Parker? Why do so many like this character and can relate to them? Simple. Due to going through struggles and challenges that are very relatable. Like being poor and down on your luck. Peter has had money issues countless times. Having to balance his personal life and his life as a super hero [or to put it another way, think of it as trying to balance your work life and personal life]. Dealing with lost of friends and family. Peter goes through struggles that are very common and relatable to many people, no matter who or what they are. Which allows people from all different backgrounds and walks of life to relate to him, due to his struggles being very common and relatable to many people. People don't relate to Peter, due to him being male, due to him being white or straight. No it's due to what he has gone through as a character, who he is as a person that people relate to. Which is why Peter is such a relatable character to many different folks. He is not some hollow empty shell, people can only relate to due to looking the same or wish fulfillment. Which is why i think, the best way to get people to rally behind a character or relate to them, is to well treat them like any other character and employ some good writing.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

You make a good point. Thanks for including reference. I don't know how things are in Canada. I just tried to say we can't know for sure if it is for PR or if BHVR took a step towards supporting minorities. It is much more likely to be for PR but I hope it isnt.

• Orion

Call me crazy, but given the history of indigenous people after settlers met them, putting them in a situation where they're doomed to be brutally killed forever might not exactly be the best way to include indigenous people.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,862

I think at the absolute minimum they should offer the community an opportunity to weigh in on the topic. Conduct a poll. Which 3 characters do you think should be LGBT? Which 3 characters do think should not be LGBT? Whichever the top 3 that players don't want being LGBT are not given an LGBT identity then the top 3 picks for an LGBT identity are given such. Something like that. At least give the players an opportunity to be a part of the decision. That isn't too much to ask for.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775