We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Killer concept: The Darkness

Options
Mooks
Mooks Member Posts: 14,161
edited May 2023 in Creations

This is a Suggestion for a licensed killer from the survival game Don’t Starve Together by Klei:

Charlie, also known as The Darkness

She is a main antagonist of the game and is the one killing you in the darkness, its why you need some source of light, no other protection or way to fight back is given to the survivors in this game, even though they have weapons against monsters and such.

Ability:

With her terror-radius, it‘s darker for the survivors, making it harder to see the killer (who is pretty much all black) and obstacles etc. You don’t see the darkness coming and the killer sees everything in normal lighting.

Charlie can make the whole map dark for a while (this will have a cool-down of course). During this she takes the form of Shadow-Charlie in which she is significantly faster. In this darkness she can only attack survivors that are not near a lightsource. Those are the firebarrels and a new item, a torch. The torch can be obtained only during the match at special stations (like plaques fountains or pigs jigsaw boxes). A torch stays lit for a duration of one darkness cycle and can’t be taken with you out of a game. You can’t hold another item with the torch though. (You can also stay hidden or near a barrel for protection if you don’t want to leave your item somewhere).

EDIT: The torch will function like Nemesis' vaccines and Pinheads box (both introduced after i made this concept); additionally i made a concept of a new survivor item (Lighter) which will protect the surv as well if he uses it (losing charges while using it)

In the shadow-form, Charlie can be attacked with a flashlight, similar to the burn of Wraith and Nurse you don’t need to shine into the face, but shine at her for a small duration of time. This can end the darkness-cycle sooner but is also risky because you can not have a torch equipped and Charlie is very fast in this mode.

Weapon: Shadow Hand

Can be used as a normal Weapon or as a long-range weapon. When activated as for long-range, Charlie stays in place and the hand moves forward, attacking a survivor or missing the hit will lead to going back to the killer. While using the long-range-mode, the hand moves with a smaller hitbox and thus moves faster around obstacles and through vaults. Survivors can also cancel this mode by running through the „arm“ of the shadow hand, the connection between killer and the hand.

I haven’t thought about perks yet, maybe I will add them later or you can discuss which perks you want to see for Charlie or general from Don’t starve for killers and survivors.

For a chapter, a survivor can be added as well. Easiest choice would be Wilson, enough skin potential is there from the skins in the game. Other characters wouldn’t make much sense because of the special traits and perks, maybe Winona? I would like to see Wickerbottom but the Insomnia would make no sense going against Freddy I guess!

So let me know what you think about my Charlie idea and discuss possible perks!

edit: The second power of my killer was meant to be somewhat like what shortly came after with the Deathslinger: pulling the survivor to you and other survivors are able to help, i guess its different enough though to still be possible as an ability in the future of DbD

My other concepts (Feedback and suggestions always welcome):

Killers: The Ice QueenHannibalCharlie(The Darkness)The Blair WitchThe FirebreatherThe Photographer

Survivors: Aria MorrisonLukas SchmidtPaitoon Saeli

Survivor Items: Piece of Chalk, Pocket Knife, Walkie Talkies, Lighter, Water BottleSling ShotSpray Paint CansSalt PouchSmoke BombVoodoo Doll, Smudge Sticks

Game mechanics: Expanded survivor objectives, Exhaustion Rework, Spiderwebs

Post edited by Mooks on

Comments

• Green318
    Green318 Member Posts: 9
    Options

ummmm. I think Don't Starve is a bit too cartoony for DBD.

• Mooks
    Options

Yeah I guess some serious design work has to be put into translating Don’t starve characters to DbD. But I can picture Charlie pretty good in my head, sadly I am not artistic enough for concept art. Wilson and his hair I’d another matter..

• Green318
    Green318 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Its ok

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Options

I think its a great idea I would love to see fully fleshed out. I would make the terror radius darkness only happen when you activate the darkness ability, but it will increase the players terror radius. I would say light sources should include completed generators. fire barrels could be the thing you get torches out of, but you have to do a series of skill checks to light a barrel and then the barel fades over time.

These are just suggestions, but with your permission I would love to make a full detailed chapter concept out of it

• Exerath1992
    Options

I think its obvious the cartoony character would be adapted into the art style of DBD. And if you haven't played it, it can be damn near heart stopping if you hear that hissing sound just before Charlie gets ya

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,256
    Options

Perk Suggestions

Living Shadows: Survivors who come within 3/4/5 meters of a light source (fire barrel, completed gens, etc) generate an unnerving shadow. If the shadow exists for more than 3 seconds, it emits a red stain and standard terror radius heartbeat detectable by ALL players. During this time, these effects are removed from the killer.

Hex: Dark Arts: for as long as the hex is active, the skill check circle is 4x/3x/2x thicker than normal, but will also be clear as though made of wavy glass (similar to cloaked, moving Wraith). It will be difficult to differentiate from whatever background the survivor is looking at. The normally red skill check marker will be black.

Sticky switch: Flashlights gain the ability to provide actual illumination to the entire view area within the flashlight’s range, but they remain lit for 0.5/1/1.5 seconds after letting go of the button. Survivors cannot run while the flashlight is lit. The additional area illumination can be detected from great distances.

• Mooks
    Options

Of course, go ahead! Would love to see my concept more fleshed out.

the fire barrels as the source for torches is a good idea, I didn’t know how such a thing to get a torch from would look like and this would work very well!

• Mooks
    Options

I like them a lot!

Anti-clicky clicky and a new version of the old ruin (kind of). But it doesn’t have feel like it would have the same problem as old ruin 👍

Living Shadows seems to benefit the Darkness way more than other killers, but maybe I just can’t think of another use for it..

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,256
    Options

I’m glad you like these! It was fun working up some ideas based on a “darkness” theme!

For the hex, the inspiration was actually Huntress Lullaby. This one interferes visually while Lullaby is auditory. Play them together and yikes!

You may be right about Living Shadows. It really comes down to how the devs define “light source”. If we include things like porch and street lights at Haddonfield, then survivors may find themselves unintentionally triggering the perk fairly often. Hawkin’s lab? Hmmmm. Imagine if moonlight counted at McMillan. TheY would literally have to stay under trees whenever possible. What about Hex totems? They’re lit, and this could make cleansing them much more dangerous!

Anyway, even if it’s not that strong, it’s always good for characters to have some weaker, more situational perks. 6 new meta perks each chapter would be........problematic, eh?! 😄

• Mooks
    Options

Yeah I see that as well. I would rather take interesting niche perks than boring Meta perks!

Hex: Totems should definitely work as a light source but with a smaller light radius, I guess different lightsources would have different radiuses (or is the plural radii?)

• Exerath1992
    Options
  • Mooks
    edited May 2022
    Options

Just wanna bump this killer concept out of relevancy

as of now, all 3 concepts of this killer kinda made it into the game:

1. Shadow Claw and being dragged towards the killer after being hit by it turned out to be the power of Deathslinger
    2. Torches as temporary killer specific survivor items made it into the game (Nemesis vaccines, Pinheads Lament configuration, Onryos video tapes)
    3. Darkness for survivors made it into the game as Dredges Nightfall (though I prefer my idea of making the killer less visible during Nightfall as a strong survivor will probably not be as affected by the current implementation)

edit:

also with the Attack Of Titan collection they have shown the artstyle of the source material isn’t a reason to not go for a license. Cartoony-2 D-Dont Starve Style can be translated to DbDs artstyle

Post edited by Mooks on