We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Spiderwebs (new game feature)

Options
Mooks
Mooks Member Posts: 14,160
edited May 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

This is a game mechanic I have already described in one of my suggestion threads, but here it is a little bit fleshed out. Could probably fit in the suggestions sections..(?)

So spiderwebs are pretty common in spoopy horror scenarios and i tried to find a way to incorporate them into DbD and give them some gameplay meaning.

Spiderwebs can now be found around the maps on various locations, like window vaults, doorways or places where pallets may spawn (maybe even with pallets?). Killers are not affected by them directly, but if they go through them they disappear. They may reappear in different locations some time after despawning.

When survivors go through them, they also disappear but the surv gets entangled with spiderwebs. They appear in their HUD as obstruction (just like Deep Wounds blood, lacerations of Trickster etc) and cause the Oblivious status effect. They have to be removed, just like "snap out of it" or Deep Wounds, maybe even with skill checks, but probably only the "big" ones like in "snap out of it". Fast vaulting or sprinting through a spiderweb may also cause the survivor to scream.

Here are some quick&dirty screenshot edits for visualization. Dont mind that Min, she is not part of this concept (the ONE time I stand still for very few seconds to make a screeshot a random notices and points lol)

Offerings:

There will be new offerings that can appear in the bloodweb, that increase (for killers) or decrease (for survivors) the number of spiderwebs found in the next trial. Something like "Silky Spider Eggs" and "Rancid Spider Eggs".

Idea for an iridescent Survivor offering: The above seen HUD effect will be also applied to the killer that goes through the webs (without any further status effects though)

Here a visual concept for the offerings (based on spider egg icons from Dont Starve):

Perk effects:

Calm Spirit: You dont scream when sprinting through a spiderweb and can remove them faster.

Spies of the Shadow: Everytime a survivor walks through a spiderweb nearby you, you get a notification. (Similar to the crow notifications, maybe slightly different sound to differentiate).

Windows of Opportunity: Shows the auras of spiderwebs nearby additionally to its current effects.

My other concepts (Feedback and suggestions always welcome):

Killers: The Ice QueenHannibalCharlie(The Darkness)The Blair WitchThe FirebreatherThe Photographer

Survivors: Aria MorrisonLukas SchmidtPaitoon Saeli

Survivor Items: Piece of Chalk, Pocket Knife, Walkie Talkies, Lighter, Water BottleSling ShotSpray Paint CansSalt PouchSmoke BombVoodoo Doll, Smudge Sticks

Game mechanics: Expanded survivor objectives, Exhaustion Rework, Spiderwebs

Post edited by Mooks on

Comments

• Beelzeboop
    Beelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306
    edited May 2021
    Options

Seems interesting, but would suck to deal with as a survivor.

Plus, it would barely effect SWF, so it would just hurt the already suffering solo queue.

• Mooks
    Options

The idea is mostly to make survivor gameplay more interesting and give them something to do. I guess it shouldn’t suck as survivor XD

Maybe give them the ability to stand next to a web and remove it with a short animation (think Glyph challenge). That way they can avoid having to remove them with a longer animation and prepare the area where they want to work on a gen?

the SWF problem can’t really be resolved sadly, but I don’t think this would give them any major advantage or solos any major disadvantage.. at least I hope so.

• Mooks
    Options

I agree if it is part of a killers power it would need to be more powerful with Hindered or something else.

i specifically tried to make a base game mechanic to give the game more stuff for/against survivors without it feeling too oppressive, something like the crows that are already in.

• Masterninja
    Masterninja Member Posts: 404
    Options

I will say only... interesting idea. :)

• Mooks
    Options

Added an offering idea as well as icon.