We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Survivor Item Concept: Pocket Knife

Options
Mooks
Mooks Member Posts: 14,161
edited May 2023 in Creations

General

This item is -like firecrackers- a one time use item that vanishes after usage instead of being able to deplete but still being able to carry out of a match.

While being carried by a killer, you can press your active ability button to use the pocket knife. This adds x percent to your wiggle bar. The killer will not be stunned or slowed but he will make a grunt so he knows it has been used.

Alternatively you can use the item while sprinting next to a killer that carries a survivor to add x percent to their wiggle bar.

Once used, you become the obsession.

Rarity

Rarity might increase the percentage that gets added to the wiggle bar.

there will probably be no brown rarity item.

Addons

Addons might be different kind of steel of the blade (something like Damask Steel Blade as an ultra rare addon).

Addons might affect the percentage of the wiggle bar, but it only increases the percentage for one use but decreases it for the other one (using while being carried vs using while killer carries a teammate).

A special addon might change the effect: instead of increasing the wiggle bar the killer gets ‚stunned‘, while not losing the surv that gets carried the killer will stop moving for a second (might help teammates to successfully bodyblock or even get a flashlight safe).

Background

Pocket knives seem like an often used tool in videogames (See Friday 13th the Game). But giving a free wiggle off would be way too OP and would make old DS seem harmless. So I guess this is a compromise that can get usage especially when combined with perks like Power Struggle, Flip Flop, etc.

My other concepts (Feedback and suggestions always welcome):

Killers: The Ice QueenHannibalCharlie(The Darkness)The Blair WitchThe FirebreatherThe Photographer

Survivors: Aria MorrisonLukas SchmidtPaitoon Saeli

Survivor Items: Piece of Chalk, Pocket Knife, Walkie Talkies, Lighter, Water BottleSling ShotSpray Paint CansSalt PouchSmoke BombVoodoo Doll, Smudge Sticks

Game mechanics: Expanded survivor objectives, Exhaustion Rework, Spiderwebs

Post edited by Mooks on

Comments

• Vyne456
    Vyne456 Member Posts: 848
    Options

Good concept. There is a perk called Flip-Flop that actually makes it you have more wiggle progression when you try to heal yourself within the bar when you are in a dying state if the killer grabs you.

• Mooks
    Options

Yeah I know, it might be good synergy to use that perk with this item!

on its own, the perk is generally considered to be weak and it’s required that the killer slugs which is completely out of control of the survivor; an item would be a more active way for this mechanic I think :)

• Vyne456
    Vyne456 Member Posts: 848
    edited May 2021
    Options

I think your right there. I had a wraith dressed as the two or three previous rifts and then he was doing a slug party and the my friends were very mad about it, and it should be in the game since those slugparty wraiths wouldn't slug us for good.

• Mooks
    Options

As with my other items, i added an icon.

first picture was my attempt when i realized there is already a DbD pocketknife icon for the nerves of steel achievment. So added that as an item icon too, as I am not really that good in design and/or mimicking the original DbD design

• papichulo
    papichulo Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2021
    Options

Pocket Knife Add-On Ideas

[BROWN] Leather Bonding - Slightly increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife (+3%)

[BROWN] Rusted Steel - Slightly increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife near a picked-up survivor. (+4%)

[BROWN] Knife Holster - Slightly decreases killer grunt noises. (-13%)

[YELLOW] Wooden Design - Moderately increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife (+5%)

[YELLOW] Clean Blade - Moderately decreases killer grunt noises. (-22%)

[GREEN] Switchblade - Hook auras are not shown to the killer for 3 seconds when used.

[GREEN] Bloodied Steel - Moderately increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife near a picked-up survivor. (+7%)

[GREEN] Cherrywood Bonding - Considerably increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife (+12%)

[PURPLE] Glass Blade - Tremendously decreases killer grunt noises. (-40%)

[PURPLE] Gold Bonding - Considerably increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife near a picked-up survivor. (+12%)

[PURPLE] Adventurer's Design - Hook auras are not shown to the killer when used.

[PINK] Poisoned Steel - Tremendously increases wiggle progression bonus when using Pocket Knife. (+50%) The Killer's grunt noises are increased by 100%.

POCKET KNIFE ADD-ONS WILL NOT STACK

Post edited by papichulo on
  • bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,142
    Options

The problem I see with this is synergistically it has maybe a bit too much potential in solos and in groups

in solos you can use it + power struggle mash the button and then power struggle when down at a pallet, especially if its consistent 1 perk + 1 item combo for a free get away

in groups, giving the ability to stun the killer so teammates get a free blind and rescue would probably be a bad feeling

My suggestions

Make the bonus over time instead of instant to prevent that synergy

Don't let the stun prevent camera movement but still keep it a stun / slow so you can still punish the killers for their pathing with pallet saves

Don't let the stun and wiggle progress be together because if it is power struggle would then still work very consistently

• Mooks
    Options

thanks for these, I thought about maybe doing add-ons as well but like seeing ideas of others for this more!

Some of those maybe need a negative effect for the survivor as they seem very strong, but I like that you specifically mentioned they don’t stack 👍

@bjorksnas @Komrad_Karnage

I agree this could turn out to be too powerful, that’s why I tried to tone it done with it being one time use and not a direct free escape but specifically tried to make it have synergies with other perks! There obviously need to be more testing and balancing around it. Like the idea of making the wiggle progress not instantly but over time to make some situations not feel like free escapes!