We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Survivor Item Concept: Smudge Sticks

Options
Mooks
Mooks Member Posts: 14,159
edited May 2023 in Creations

General

Smudge Sticks are a one time use item that have a time of effect after activation. When activated, a smudge stick disables any current curses on the survivor and their effects. They also have an area of effect around them to affect nearby survivors.

For example you can place an activated smudge stick on the ground next to a gen and during active effect time Hex: Ruin wouldn’t regress that gen, or you activate it when Haunted Grounds gets destroyed to not be exposed.

This would also affect negatively effect Soul Guard, you wouldn’t be cursed while in area of effect of activated Smudge Sticks.

Rarity

Rarity will increase the time of effect and/or the size of the effect area.

Addons

I can’t really think of something special here other than some more effect on time and size... Maybe a second use.

Maybe you have an idea, what addons can do on this one.

Possible addons could of course be different herbs that may be added to the sticks.

Background

Another item concept inspired by Phasmophobia (like my Salt Pouch) but again another effect suited for DbD.

especially with the current Ruin+Undying Meta it gives another possible counterplay while the one time use doesn’t make it OP (imo).

My other concepts (Feedback and suggestions always welcome):

Killers: The Ice QueenHannibalCharlie(The Darkness)The Blair WitchThe FirebreatherThe Photographer

Survivors: Aria MorrisonLukas SchmidtPaitoon Saeli

Survivor Items: Piece of Chalk, Pocket Knife, Walkie Talkies, Lighter, Water BottleSling ShotSpray Paint CansSalt PouchSmoke BombVoodoo Doll, Smudge Sticks

Game mechanics: Expanded survivor objectives, Exhaustion Rework, Spiderwebs

Post edited by Mooks on

Comments

• Ethofrasty
    Ethofrasty Member Posts: 18
    Options

Incredibly interesting idea I'll say so, question.. if you place it by a totem with a hex on it will it do anything to the totem? And also can killer's break the stick?

• Mooks
    edited October 2020
    Options

didn’t think about that. Maybe it could deactivate the totem effect for the active time!

sounds pretty strong though? So maybe that’s something that an ultra rare or super rare add on might add.

i don’t think killers should be able to destroy it, but it has just a limited time of usage once activated! But if it turns out to be too strong then this could be added of course

Post edited by Mooks on
  • Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

From the sample, I would say placing it near a gen wouldn't stop Ruin, as the effect is on the gen, not on the survivor

• Mooks
    Options

Maybe it should only effect the totem itself then or the survivor is not affected by any Hexes while the sticks are burning. I don’t know how to handle gen s in ruins case though, maybe:

any gen that would Regress but was last touched by the survivor doesn’t Regress while the survivor is in the area of effect of the smudge sticks.

i guess it would also be a question on how it’s implemented in code..

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

you could probably say that survivors or objects within stick range are not affected. but that sounds like a lot of work. like pallets near a stick won't get blocked by the Bight perk, gens not by ruin and survivors not by lullaby etc

• Mooks
    Options

As with my other item ideas, I have added a quick and dirty icon and rephrased the text a little bit.

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    edited January 2022
    Options

Curses have far too many interactions. Some simple status checks, such as gaining Endurance while Exposed could be incorporated into the Voodoo Doll as an addon.

• Underwear_Model
    Underwear_Model Member Posts: 94
    Options

This could be implemented as a Boon Perk. Maybe? It could be too strong though then, making a timed item a better idea.